Selling a Regal: Best time to sell? Setting price?

Items For Sale (PLEASE No Commercial Advertisements or SPAM)

Selling a Regal: Best time to sell? Setting price?

Postby Asherah » Tue May 16, 2017 7:34 am

Job relocation requires us to part with our 2003 Commodore 2860. Great boat, great condition and we'd like to continue enjoying her this summer on Lake Champlain (VT) and sell at the end of the season (Sept/Oct), but realize this may not be the time most buyers will be looking. Would appreciate opinions as to best time to place ad: Now and negotiate availability? Closer to end of season? Anyone have experience with Boattraders.com or other for sale by owner sites? I'm looking at comparables to set asking price but is there a reliable "blue book" value equivalent site for boats as there is for cars? Any advice appreciated.
Asherah

Re: Selling a Regal: Best time to sell? Setting price?

Postby ImRich » Tue May 16, 2017 8:05 am

IMHO Boats are tough to sell. The best time to sell is now, because as soon as it gets warm in the North East, people think of doing warm water things, like boating. And anyone that buys a boat in the fall/winter will be looking for a deal (just as you would).

If you want to sell, do it now. Waiting until the end of the year may mean getting a lower price, if you sell it at all, and if not, then you end up paying for preparing it for the winter layup, storage, etc. Then next spring, you start all over again. ;) Of course, now there is another year of depreciation on it.

If you are sure you want to sell, do it now, or take the change and possible price hit later. If you do sell it now, I'm sure you have some boating friends, you know the best thing about boating (from a cost point of view) is "knowing someone that owns one"! ;)

Good luck.
Rich
2005 - 3560
Unbelievable!
NH
ImRich

Postby kdubya » Tue May 16, 2017 5:07 pm

There is a shortage of clean used boats. Demand is high. I think you will be surprised how quick your boat sells.
The Wilson's
"Memory Maker"
Kansas City / Kimberling City, MO
Regal 2700 ES
Ecoboost F150
kdubya

Postby Muddy Blues » Tue May 16, 2017 7:20 pm

ImRich wrote:If you want to sell, do it now. Waiting until the end of the year may mean getting a lower price, i.

+1
2007 Regal 2700, 8.1 VP DP
Lake Geneva, WI
Muddy Blues

Postby Muddy Blues » Tue May 16, 2017 7:22 pm

kdubya wrote:There is a shortage of clean used boats. Demand is high. I think you will be surprised how quick your boat sells.

+1

The new boats are super expensive and still selling well, which has increased prices and demand for good used boats.
2007 Regal 2700, 8.1 VP DP
Lake Geneva, WI
Muddy Blues

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Wed May 17, 2017 7:28 pm

My 35SC is for sale still.. :mrgreen: Just in case someone is looking for one...
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby Asherah » Wed May 17, 2017 9:53 pm

Thanks all who have responded
Asherah

Postby Seven » Mon May 22, 2017 11:22 am

Definitely put it up for sale now. I have been trying to sell my four winns since October which I thought was a "desirable" model combination. We posted it late in fall and got some interest but no bites. Then all winter was dead silent. Luckily storage is free for me on the trailer. Its starting to pick up now but what I have heard from other brokers is mid summer is their busiest time of year. Not sure how true that is because, well they are used vehicle salesmen... :?
Its disappointing because we sold out previous boat in less than 2 weeks this time of year. It was a small bowrider and to me not as desirable.
--2002 3880 Regal Flybridge | Twin Merc 8.1HO| **Seven**
--2003 AB 13 VST Console Inflatable | Tohatsu 40hp TLDI **Phish'n ski**
--310 Mercury Inflatable | 1982 9.9 Johnson
Seven

Postby Rob » Tue May 23, 2017 9:22 pm

To add another perspective, I'd want a sea trial, so selling it after winterized could be really tough. I agree, nice weather, quicker sale. Also, last year, we were looking for a boat and had had good luck with used, but we found such unrealistic pricing on many boats that we were convinced to go new/leftover since most of the used boats we found were priced beyond a reasonable value proposition.

Good luck, whichever way you decide to go.
Thanks,

Rob
Finger Lakes Region, NY
'15 Regal 2300, VP 300, DPS
'98 Sea Ray 190 Bowrider, Merc 5L, Alpha I, 21" SS prop (sold)
'00 Sea Doo GTX Millenium (sold)
Rob

Postby Texdoc8953 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:43 am

Now is the best time to sell, especially in the northeast. Also I doubt that you will be able to sell the boat now and then keep it for the summer and then deliver it to the new buyer. If they are buying a boat they will want to use it.
You can look at www.bucvalu.com and also www.nadaguides.com/Boats for a valuation of what it's worth.
Good luck...
As my broker told me... A boat priced right will sell, if it doesn't sell it's priced too high...
Kevin
2008 Regal 4060 "Tiny Tot"
2007 Regal 3360 "Balance" (Sold)
Annapolis, MD
Texdoc8953

Postby Bassdeer » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:22 am

A boat priced right will sell, if it doesn't sell it's priced too high...

This is true, a lot of people price their boat to high,
Bassdeer

Postby Catch22 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:54 pm

Hey all. Saw this thread and was wondering if anyone has an opinion on the accuracy of NADA? When I book mine out there it tells me low retail is $87k. I’ve listed my boat for $78.9. Not a bite yet. So, I’m trying to better understand if NADA is high or if boats above a certain price range take much longer to sale?? I’ve searched the next boat size up which is pushing $100k, and the next boat size down which was $62-$64K. So, I’m in the middle with price. Curious to get feedback or experiences from anyone out there.

Thanks - Steve
Catch22

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:41 pm

Take the "Low" price with zero options and see what it comes back with. That is a good baseline to start with. Its very tough to stomach but most of the time that is typically a good ball park. Its counter intuitive from what you think its worth, and if you look at the description on "Low retail" it sounds like the motor doesn't work and the trailer only has one wheel and there could be a hole in the bottom, but that is what I have seen at least around.

Something else to keep in mind that you have a month or two left of prime selling time this season, so you have to figure its going to cost another 6-8 months of payments and insurance etc so if you are wanting to really sell it you have to take that into consideration and lower the price as next year it will be worth less. Its one of those darn if you do and darn'd if you don't. (have to be PC) Even here in Texas people roll in the carpet and don't use boats much after Labor day. The marina's are night and day difference even if the weather is cooperating. Most won't by a boat to just winterize it and store it for many months. ;) :shock:
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas

Postby Catch22 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:09 am

Thanks Chris. The dealer offered me $65k out right or $70 on consignment, so I thought I had to be close with a list price of $78.9k. Priced it where I did assuming negotiation would get it down to $75-$76k from an individual buyer. The other interesting thing is I can only find two to three other 2500’s for sale (boat trader). None are in my area, and I am priced below the others I found (in the northeast and I believe Tennessee). Maybe I was lucky enough to buy a boat that is not that popular/in demand. I’m not trying to make any money on it, and since it’s paid off, and I don’t have to make a fire sale, I’m not looking to give it away either.

Thanks - Steve
Catch22

Return to For Sale