Why does Regal only use a fuel gauge?

If you could ask Regal a question directly then what would it be? (While Regal does read our site from time to time please do not expect them to answer your question here!)

Why does Regal only use a fuel gauge?

Postby mirage2991 » Sun May 27, 2018 4:04 pm

I was told by my dealer that on my 2018 Regal 2300 they only wire an analog fuel gauge and does not use the EVC fuel level capability nor couples it to the Garmin display.
Wonder if anyone knows the reason why and why wouldn't they use the EVC display and/or my Garmin gauges as a "back up". After all I get flow rates from both and fuel used on both...but no fuel level seems a bit ironic... lol
mirage2991

Re: Why does Regal only use a fuel gauge?

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Sun May 27, 2018 7:30 pm

Strange as if its an EVC based engine, then the simple analog level sender just wires into the engine harness. Presto, if you have the N2K interface then you will have fuel level on the Garmin. The analog gauges are cheaper than an EVC based set. I would just rewire my analog gauge to the input on the EVC engine harness myself. If you have the trip software enabled (purchased license) it will give you all sorts of data then in the smaller display.
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby mirage2991 » Sun May 27, 2018 8:08 pm

Chris_in_Texas wrote:Strange as if its an EVC based engine, then the simple analog level sender just wires into the engine harness. Presto, if you have the N2K interface then you will have fuel level on the Garmin. The analog gauges are cheaper than an EVC based set. I would just rewire my analog gauge to the input on the EVC engine harness myself. If you have the trip software enabled (purchased license) it will give you all sorts of data then in the smaller display.

Idk if I have the trip software...I do see total fuel used, live fuel consumption and so forth in the small display (I have the 2.5" display). That same data is also shown in the factory installed Garmin 7406.
In the small EVC display, under settings, it does tell me it isnt' detecting the fuel sending unit...which I guess could be an issue that correlates with my fuel gauge not reading right (still reads full when it should be at around 3/4), though again my dealer stated over the phone on sat that Regal doesn't wire the sending unit to the EVC but straight to the analog gauge thus no fuel level displayed in either evc or garmin.
To clarify: I only have one analogue gauge: fuel level. I also have a digital depth gauge next to it, and then the Garmin that display digital gauges for engine management
mirage2991

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Sun May 27, 2018 9:02 pm

You can tell pretty quick then what you have if you unscrew the dash panel, and look at the back. If you have an EVC gauge it will have a sealed three pin plug on it. If its an analog gauge it will have a few nuts with wires on it. Fuel gauges are not that accurate, however that being said the fuel gauge could be wired into the EVC harness if you want. Any VP certified dealer that has an IPS/EVC tech in shop can do it. Just a simple re-route of the cable from the helm to the back of the boats engine harness. The downside is that you won't have a fuel gauge unless you purchase an EVC based fuel gauge to go in there along with the wire harness extension. The dealer could hook you up pretty easy, just a hit to the wallet. The standard analog sender will work fine, you just need the programming values from Regal for it. They have the 0/20/40/60/80/100% fuel level resistance values and measurements. That makes programming the system easy if you can get to the sender and take it out of the boat. The other option is to get it as low fuel level as you are willing to go and then start filling the tank and you pause at those values and tell the system you are at 20% for instance, then fill more and stop at 40% etc. Regal has the programming sheets. I only have them for the larger Sport Coupe models with the twin tanks. Its a bit of a process but with a bit of reading its pretty easy to do.

As for the EVC harness there would be a set of empty inputs that the analog sender connects to to allow the computer to see the fuel level.

If you go into the info / setup screen in the 2.5" display you can look at the "installed" options for the boat in the EVC software. There would be a check mark for the "trip" software. Not sure what else they option as standard with the single engine bowrider. In the twins they come with a number of the options enabled (purchased) by default from Regal. Those options to enable are quite expensive, typical license fee stuff like in the $500-1000 range depending on the option. The trip will give you time to empty, miles to empty etc. However you need to have the fuel level to work correctly.

If your fuel gauge isn't working and the boat is still under warranty I would take it in. You could have a bad sender. It does happen from time to time, floats go bad, traditionally they go to zero fuel even if you have a full tank as the float sinks and reads zero. now a days they are a rigid pipe with a magnetic float that will trigger different resistive values as the float moves up and down the rod. The old school of the float with a rheostat is long gone. They simply pull right out of the tank. Some even have an "inner" piece that simply comes out with a clip and doesn't require any opening of the flange to remove. Very simple to replace and fuel mess free. The downside most of the solid pipe senders require the full depth of the tank above the tank to pull out the sender and if its under a deck without an access cover, well you have to cut a hole to get them out. Horrible design on Regal's part if they do that. One tank on the 35SC is that way, you have to cut the floor out to get the sender out of the SB tank, the port tank has a simple access cover to pull it straight out. :shock:
Thanks, Chris

Chris_in_Texas

Postby mirage2991 » Sun May 27, 2018 9:53 pm

Thanks for the info Chris,
with your suggestions I went and checked what my EVC installed options are and I do have the optional Trip computer.
I also do not have a Volvo sending unit, I have a standard KUS SSL unit.
With the rain we have had in the past 2 weeks, I had noticed the fuel gauge fogging on the inside. Tonight, it's now reading differently: was slightly bellow F mark, now is past it (with key on)...wth I think the gauge is toasted.
Boat is 3 weeks old (2018) so full warranty, I'll take it to the dealer tuesday.

None the less, it's kinda funny that Regal would not use a Volvo Penta sending unit that would interface with the EVC and the 7" garmin display...not quite sure I understand their reasoning there... :?
mirage2991

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Sun May 27, 2018 10:13 pm

VP doesn't make a sending unit. Its just a run of the mill analog unit that is used even for the EVC boats. I had two different manufactures in my 35SC. They had some bad batches of floats at one point. That is why it would be "easy" to hook it into the EVC system as its just two wires to the engine. Then the computer will know the fuel load to calculate everything correctly. Its just the "programming" of the levels (ie ohm values) at each level for the computer to learn it. If you send me an email message from the board here I can send you the calibration info to let you see what is entailed. Its not for your boat, but Regal should have it and your dealer should be able to get it.
Thanks, Chris

Chris_in_Texas

Return to Ask Regal