Jacksonville/Amelia Island local knowledge

The Regal Owners Forum encourages members, groups and organizations to post their own cruises and cruise schedules in this forum for the Florida area.

Jacksonville/Amelia Island local knowledge

Postby econn516 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:14 am

Anyone got any experience with this area? I'm going to be making the 200 mile journey from Sanford, FL up the St Johns to Amelia Island. The St Johns part of the run is pretty straight forward but I was wondering if anyone was familiar with Sister's Creek (vs running the last leg on the outside). Finally, I'm planning to stay at the marina in downtown Fernidina and make a day trip to cumberland island so any advice or local knowledge would be very welcome. Thanks in advance
Eric & Stacey
Sanford, FL
'07 Regal 2565
"Chil-laxin"
econn516

Re: Jacksonville/Amelia Island local knowledge

Postby one-n-done » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:50 pm

either way its nice ,if you go intracoastal via sisters creek it is pretty.stay in the channel lot of shallows,in the river from the shands bridge to down town jax you will want to stay in the channel.the shouls will get you pretty quick.i have a 2860 and have bottomed out before.
one-n-done
2012 Regal Owners Supporter

Postby NavyGator » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:14 pm

I have made this cruise several times except in the reverse since I live in NE Florida and keep my boat in Jacksonville. The previous advice about staying in the channel is pretty good advice, but it isn't as critical in much of the St Johns River, especially the northern part. The intracoastal north to Fernandina can be a different story depending on your draft. I draw 4 feet and at low tide there are several areas that have silted in even in the channel where the depth may be as low as 6 feet. I don't think you will have a problem, but you may want to set a depth alarm at a depth that corresponds to 2-3 feet of water below your keel.

There are several stops you may want to plan in your trip. The first one headed north is Corky Bells at Devils elbow just south of Palatka. This is a really good restaurant with a very nice floating dock. they have a beautiful deck, live music on weekends and while there are signs that say no overnight docking, we have done so without a problem. The second stop is really a slice of "old Florida" the "Outback Crab Shack" at six mile creek. This is another restaurant a mile or so down the six mile creek located just south of the Shands Bridge near Green Cove Springs. They have a floating dock that must be at least 800 feet long. There are no utilities available, but overnight docking is welcomed. Much like Corky Bells with regard to the deck and entertainment on weekends, its a fun place to spend the night.

There is a Hooters accessible by water on Goodby's Creek just north of the Buckman Bridge that can be a fun stop.

The Jacksonville Landing with free floating dockage at the base of the Main Street bridge in Downtown Jacksonville is another good overnight destination.

About a mile or so past the Dames Point Bridge on the North bank is the site of Fort Caroline which was one of the first settlements in North America. It was settled in the 1500's. The original style fort they erected here has been reproduced and there is a museum a short walk from the fort. There is a nice floating dock for visitors.

Be sure to have a reservation at the city docks in Fernandina as there are some weekends that they can be full.

I hope that you have a chance to visit some of the sites on the way. have a great cruise.

Regards,

Robert B
NavyGator
NavyGator

Postby econn516 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:37 am

Thanks for the great information. We are actually staying a night in palatka and have plans to visit corky bells. We have reservations for Fernandina and will hit Jax on the way back south at the end of the week. My main area of concern was after I split off the St. Johns up Sister's Creek towards Amelia. With the comments I have received, we'll stay in the channel, keep our eyes out, and in our 2565 should be fine.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!
Eric & Stacey
Sanford, FL
'07 Regal 2565
"Chil-laxin"
econn516

Postby Sea Dawg » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:18 pm

I have stayed several times at the City Marina on Fernandina Beach. Most recently this last December. It is very convenient to downtown being right at the end of the main street. When we were there many slips were silted in at low tide so even more important to make sure you have your reservation in. Very nice docks.

The advice to watch your depth is accurate all the way from south of the A1A bridge through Sister's Creek. There has been significant shoaling into the channel between R34-R36 markers on the South Amelia River.
Sea Dawg
2010 Commodore 4460
Volvo D6 IPS500
Sea Dawg

Postby folieadeux » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:56 pm

I just spent two nights at the Fernandina harbor Marina and it is very nice. Great location to food, drinks and fun.
Neal and Barbara
2001- 2660 Regal twin 4.3L Volvo Gxi (sold Feb 2010)

Meridian 391 Sedan Bridge, twin Cummins 380QSB, Onan 9K (purchased Feb-2010)
Home Port: Savannah, GA
folieadeux
Regal Owners Supporter

Return to Cruises - Florida Area