Adventures of Sea Dawg - Sea of Abaco 2014

Inform members of your favorite itinerary or destination.

Adventures of Sea Dawg - Sea of Abaco 2014

Postby Sea Dawg » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:56 am

Dear Friends,

Yes it is that time of year again! Time for another edition of the adventures of Sea Dawg! This year we are running to the Sea of Abaco. We will retrace our steps from last year down to St. Lucie Inlet and then head due east to cross the Little Bahama Bank and visit the islands of Spanish Cay, Treasure Cay, Guana Cay, and Green Turtle Cay and enjoy the cities of Marsh Harbour and Hope Town.

This year we are joined as usual by the merry crews of BerZerKer and Buena Vita. Buena Vita upgraded to a new used boat, a 28 foot Albin Flush Deck named “Reel Love”. Though they will still be staying on shore, the boat is better suited to the run than Buena Vita as it is a diesel and has a better hull form to handle the seas.

Our float plan looks like this:

Float Plan Web.jpg

We are three weeks from departure!

It appears that after grinding down a pulley bracket and replacing an idler pulley, my port engine SC belt issue appears to be resolved. The existing belt has been on the boat for the last 80 hours of running. I will keep my fingers crossed. If time permits, I will put a post together of the repairs and improvements made to get Sea Dawg ready for the trip. But at this point Sea Dawg is in all respects ready for sea except for provisioning of perishables and topping off the tanks.

We are praying for better weather this year and will be adding a half day to the run down to allow for us to stay in the ICW should the weather be as nasty as last year.

I did pop for the Garmin Virb Elite http://sites.garmin.com/virb/ which will be mounted at the helm. I am taking the GoPro for some under water shots and hope to be able to provide some better numbers and videos of our adventure this year including shots of the boats running in the water.

I will add to the topic as time permits prior to departure and will post videos and commentary upon my return.
Sea Dawg
2010 Commodore 4460
Volvo D6 IPS500
Sea Dawg

Re: Adventures of Sea Dawg - Sea of Abaco 2014

Postby second obsession » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:55 pm

Sea Dawg as usual we can't wait to read about your adventure. Be safe and have fun.
2008 Regal 4460
Terry Descoteaux
second obsession

Postby Sea Dawg » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:23 pm

Getting Sea Dawg ready for the trip this year has been quite a challenge. I have a brother, who at 53 years old still competes nationally and internationally in pole vaulting. I asked him in the past about the challenge of preparing year after year to compete and he said that each year it gets harder to condition back to a competition level. It is the same with boats. Even on a well maintained craft like Sea Dawg, where all scheduled maintenance is performed on or ahead of schedule, the years of constant use in salt water are not kind to the girl. Lucky I am blessed to have some good friends and a wife that understands the relationship between proper maintenance (and its inherent cost) and safety.

I will start the list with some of the things that we had to address after last year’s run. As I mentioned in a prior post, Sea Dawg chewed through Supercharger belts on the port engine like a bad dog through slippers. This caused several problems that I have wrestled with over the years. In addition to the loss of low end performance and risk to the primary belt and various pulleys, the exploding belts generate a significant amount of shrapnel that needs to be collected out of the bilge.

The picture below is what I pulled out of the bilge two weeks ago. This is almost a year after the last belt shredded and I have hosed out the bilge Lord knows how many times since then. There are so many nooks and crannies in the bilge up under the engines that it is hard to get to every corner and so, we find little bits of belt months later.

Bilge Detris.jpg

And much to my chagrin, just last week, when the Captain of BZ came over to help me with a few boat projects and to do an engine room check, he snagged even more debris!

The first year I ran Sea Dawg to the Abacos, we lost a couple of hours on the run day across the Gulf Stream because the Aft bilge pump had ingested a similar piece of debris and fried out. So we had to replace the pump. After that, I had a second aft pump installed an inch higher under the theory that if debris clogged one pump, at least I would have another pump that would kick in to keep the water under control. So in addition to cleaning the bilge out for the hundredth time, I tested both aft bilge pumps in the last two weeks to make sure that we are good to go.

One of the other projects from last year was the floor of the cockpit icemaker. On the 4460, the cockpit icemaker sits in a cutout in the cabinet on the starboard side of the cockpit. It is flanked on one side by the cockpit stereo and on the other by another cabinet. The space above the cabinet is where the counter and cockpit sink are. The cutout for the ice maker has a trim piece that includes a door and the ice maker is nestled behind the trim piece. The clearances in this set up were never very good and so the ice maker door would always get pinched and pulled out of alignment with the case of the unit with normal opening and closing. This would cause the seal between the door and the unit to break allowing moist air to circulate into the ice maker causing it to frost up badly requiring constant defrosting.

Over the years, even with me adjusting the ice maker door to re-align it frequently, the fit in the trim got progressively worse and worse causing the door to pinch and fall out of alignment quicker and quicker. I finally decided to take the ice maker out and either re-trim the cabinet or figure out a better way to re-align the existing trim and door to the ice maker.

When I pulled the trim and the ice maker out of the cabinet, I found that the ice maker had been sitting on a plywood floor that had been through stapled from the cabinet walls and was rotten, had pulled away from the side walls and was sagging and not supported by anything on the deck of the boat. So no wonder I couldn’t get the icemaker to align with the cabinet face and trim, the floor it was sitting on was gone!

Rotted Icemaker Floor.jpg

So I built a floor out of the PVC trim boards used on houses and built it up from the deck so that the icemaker would have a firm foundation. That problem is now solved. I can go three months without having to defrost the ice maker these days and haven’t had to re-align the door since the repair.

New Icemaker Floor.jpg

When I bought Sea Dawg, she gave me 1 NMPG on a clean bottom. Since then, though I get the boat dived and have the bottom paint refreshed every year, my NMPG has hovered around 0.8. Part of it is the valuable stuff that we have put on Sea Dawg, like the additional safety equipment and the medicinal rum, but part of the loss has to my mind been the bottom paint that was used. The last couple of years, I have used an ablative paint on the hull and prop speed on the pods and props. Here is a picture of the bottom and pods right before Sea Dawg was resplashed this March after her annual maintenance and a new bottom job.

Pods with Prop Speed.jpg

I talked to the yard manager about the loss of NMPG and asked about various solutions. One of the things I had talked with some of the sport fish guys about was getting what is called a “Carolina Smile” paint jobhttp://www.yachtpaint.com/LiteratureCentre/ATE_CarolinaCoat.pdf. He said before going to the additional expense, he would ask the yard to burnish the bottom with a scotch brite pad to smooth the ablative out prior to splashing the boat. And sure enough, when Sea Dawg resplashed, I was getting 1.0 NMPG from the girl!

The Holy Grail.jpg

This is amazing if I can keep it at 1 NMPG. The difference between 0.8 and 1.0 in a 1000 mile run is 250 gallons of fuel which at $5.00 a gallon is $1,250.00! That is a lot of medicinal rum and conch fritters! So the challenge will be to try to keep the bottom clean and slippery for the run. I plan to have the diver go over it one more time right before we start the run.

While on the hard, I also had the 8D house battery replaced with an AGM type 8D and changed both engine start batteries over to AGM as well.
Additionally, upon doing the hull inspection while the boat was out of the water we had to address a delamination issue caused by water intrusion from the starboard trim tab anchor post.

Trim Tab Repair for Web.jpg

Finally, my big thing was getting Sea Blaze Xs put on the boat.

Lights for web.jpg

Sea aBlaze.jpg

When we run to the Abacos, we normally stop the first night (of the crossing) at Spanish Cay. The marina there is known for the large sharks that cruise through the marina looking for fish scraps from the guys cleaning up the catch after a day of fishing. The sharks and other fish are fascinating to watch, but the watching is best done from inside the boat and with some illumination in the water. The Sea Blaze Xs are fantastic! I am looking forward to using them every day while docked on the trip.

I have noted in a prior post that now that I have lights under the water, I wanted to have some bling above the water, so I installed blue LEDs under the swim step and under the air intake gills on the sides of the hulls.

Bling.jpg

I also upgraded all cockpit lights to blue/white LEDs.

Cockpit Lights.jpg

Last year the cabin freezer door trim started to leak allowing condensation to form and drip onto a piece of the metal trim. The eventual outcome was rust that I had to clean up and respray.

Fridge Trim Rust.jpg

I also replaced all navigation lights with LEDs. While on the arch, I sanded and repainted the steaming light bracket as it had started to rust and did an annual service on the air horns. There was actually a fair amount of water trapped in the resonance chamber of the horns and after the maintenance, the horns are once again loud enough to frighten drunk boaters and small children. And while I was up there, I re-caulked all topside equipment and bolt holes into the arch and re-caulked along the aft edge of arch where the bead bar that holds the sunbrella aft tent top is attached.

In the engine room, I replaced all of the water filters and UV light for the fresh water filtration and Superior Diesel came to town to do the 100 hours maintenance on the engines and Gen Set.

We have also done a general decluttering and deep cleaning on the boat. So things are looking good!

Well at least they were. A couple of months ago, I got a strange warning on my EVC display at the helm. It said “Check Steering Wheel”. Well of course I did and the steering wheel was there and seemed to turn the boat just fine. So I cleared the warning and returned to merrily boating along. A couple of runs later, about an hour into the run, the same warning came up. Eventually it was coming up every time I ran the boat and I knew that it was not good and would not be cheap.

Sea Dawg is a Vovlo IPS boat which means that steering is “fly-by-wire”. There is no mechanical or hydraulic connection between the steering wheel and the pods. Behind the dash is a thing called a steering control unit (SCU) that has two wires coming out of it. It connects to the steering wheel and to the Helm Control Units (HCUs). The SCU has 8 sensors that sense when I am turning the steering wheel and send signals to the HCUs which send signals to the pods to tell them to turn this way or that. Well it appeared that one of the sensors tied into the port wire leading to the port HCU was occasionally taking an unauthorized break. So since steering is kind of important to the effective operation of a boat, I had to bite the bullet and spend the bucks to get the SCU replaced.

The neat thing about the SCU (and one of the reasons that Volvo charges so much to give you a new one) is that steering on a fly-by-wire boat would be really weird if the wheel didn’t do certain things. For example, on a mechanical or hydraulic steering system, you have hard stops at lock-to-lock. You can tell when you have turned the wheel as far as it will go. How do you do that on a boat where the wheel has no actual relationship to the physical reality that the pods exist in? Well, the SCU, in addition to the eight sensors in the housing, has a liquid with suspended magnetic bits in it similar to the shock absorbers in those fancy European cars. Not for nothing, what is it with these Europeans and their fascination with suspending magnetic bits in fluids? When the computer knows that the pods are all the way deflected (meaning it wants to let you know that you can stop turning the wheel now and if it still looks like you are about to hit something , you should start looking at a plan “B”), the HCUs will send some electricity up the wires to the SCU to energize those magnetic particles in the fluid which causes the fluid to get pretty darn viscous (like dried concrete level viscosity). And so that is how they give you lock-to-lock steering wheel feed back. Fascinating stuff but is it worth two grand?

Well there is more. When you install the Garmin Auto-Pilot like I did before last year’s run to the Bahamas, the Auto-Pilot leverages this magnetic viscousy fluid feature and makes it hard but not impossible to turn the wheel when the autopilot is activated. This is intended to give you tactile feedback and a reminder that the boat is being steered by the A/P. Now the good news is that if you push the wheel past the initial back pressure, then the HCUs know you are serious and then allows you to turn the boat using the wheel and then once you are satisfied with your new course, it goes back to locking the wheel down.

Steering.jpg

New Steering.jpg

Talk about fancy! Well, since you can’t spell safe navigation without SCU, we popped for one and had it replaced in May. We have been out several times in the boat since then and the problem appears to be solved.

So we are now ready to go. Except can you spell fun on the water without tunes? No you can’t. So the last project tackled today was the purchase and replacement of the cockpit stereo. A couple of months ago, I noticed that no sound was coming out of the starboard speakers (yes I checked the balance setting). So I thought that I had blown the right side coming out of the head unit. So the captain of BZ, stopped cruising yachtworld long enough to cruise eBay and found a replacement head unit for the same Kenwood system that is on the boat so that I would not have to spend the money (which I really wanted to do) to pop for a Fusion 700.

Just as an aside. I know that this post is too long but now that all of my boat projects are done, if I don’t sit here and write stuff like this, then I will want to start another boat project, and as I have told my wife, we are in force preservation mode at this point. We are less than three weeks from starting the trip, so I do not need to be tearing anything apart on the boat at this point, nor do I need to be going (as she suggested) to the gym to work on those little “problem areas” in my physique. What if I pulled a muscle or something using one of those machines or had a tragic gym accident like a slip and fall in the locker room? Who would run Sea Dawg? No sir! We are keeping it safe and focusing on things that get us closer to departure day.

The Fusion 700 is one of those “Bridge too Far” things for right now. I just dropped an unexpected almost three grand getting it so that we can steer Sea Dawg. That was a requirement. Upgrading from ten year old audio technology, does not make the cut at this point. So get behind me Fusion 700! I have no time (nor money) for you now!

So the replacement Kenwood unit came in the mail yesterday and we were down at the boat today to install it. It was so simple. Being the same model, all we had to do was de-install the old unit, unplug it and using the exact same connectors, plug the new unit in! A ten minute job! We turned on this radio and wham! The exact same problem! I guess it would have paid to have checked the continuity of the speaker wires, but there was no way that they could be the problem! They come out of the back the unit, go into a (non-waterproof) connector and then get led into a conduit where they are safely transported to the speakers to deliver little electrical impulse that are then turned into beautiful music, like Billy Idol, the Indigo Girls, Gordon Lightfoot, you name it.

Well, upon further exploration, and after a continuity check showed that there were no little electronic bits getting from the cable harness coming out of the back of the head unit to the speaker wire ends at the speakers, the decision was made to head downstairs.

Radio Wires.jpg

So into the engine room crawled the captain of BZ. I offered to go, but he is ten years younger than me and that much more limber. So after a lot of grunting and cursing, he finds that the speaker wires all led down into the engine room where they were terminated in another non-water proof connector, before being sent off to each speaker. The engine room is a much moister place than the inside of the cabinet and as he touched the connector and noted the rust running up the inside of the wires, one of the wires simply snapped off the connector. So a dimes worth of di-electric grease and a water proof connector used at time of construction would have saved my good friend from the next hour of cussing in a very small place. Luckily no small children wander down to the end of the dock where Sea Dawg floats and so no gentle ears were subjected to the tirade that ensued.
The good news is that the captain of BZ doesn’t need to hit the gym as he sweated a good twenty pounds off today.

As I finish this post, let it be noted that beautiful music is indeed floating out of all four speakers in the cockpit of Sea Dawg once again.
But that Kenwood unit doesn’t have Bluetooth. But if I just get the Fusion… Oh that is an entire new post!
Last edited by Sea Dawg on Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sea Dawg
2010 Commodore 4460
Volvo D6 IPS500
Sea Dawg

Postby ChesapeakeLover » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:50 pm

WOW... Now that was a POST!
Appreciate you sharing...
Look forward to reading about your trip as I live vicariously through your adventures!
Tim & Jen
'Best Day Ever'
Severna Park, MD
ChesapeakeLover

Postby Sea Dawg » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:48 pm

As I sit here writing this post, another line of thunderstorms is forming on the western horizon. We were blessed with a very mild spring with very little in the way of contrary boating weather and now, summer is here with all of her majesty including big thunderstorms almost every day. We need the rain, but I don’t need the lightning.

The countdown clock is currently at one week and 21 hours until Sea Dawg lights the fires and starts heading south. As I noted in the post above, with the help of many good friends and Superior Diesel, Sea Dawg is ready for the run.

The captain of BerZerKeR has been busy as well and has spent the spring working down a list of boat projects as long as his arm to get BZ ready for the trip. Other than minor cosmetic stuff, the only thing that is on his punch list besides provisioning is to replace the brushes in his gen set which he will do this weekend.

The captain of Reel Love on the other hand has been looking to change the name of his boat to “Reel Problem”. This boat threw up a warning on the EVC (he has a single Volvo D6 in the boat) about requiring service a little over a month ago. RL’s captain got a Volvo mechanic down to Savannah to put a Vodia on it and found that there were error codes pointing at a problem in one of the cylinders. They pulled the injectors and scoped the cylinder and found piston metal on the cylinder wall on at least one cylinder. Since the injectors were out, they tested all injectors and three failed. So they pulled the engine this week and are in the process of dropping the pan and pulling pistons to see the extent of the damage. Needless to say, Reel Love is out of the Adventure.

But, as luck would have it, Buena Vita is still where she has always been, ready to go. So BV is getting prepped for the trip and should be going with us. Reel Love will have to wait until next year.

I have decided to go ahead and share Sea Dawg’s position data with you. Anytime from July 3rd through July 18th, you can click on the link below to see where Sea Dawg is on our adventure. Please do not use the embedded messaging feature as that costs money and with Diesel already at $6.30 a gallon or more in Spanish Cay, I need all the spare cash I can get to buy the requisite dead dinosaurs!

https://share.delorme.com/38a0b4c65b3e4109bb5d7d1f68882b6a

Due to issues encountered last year with weather, mutiny and general “bridge too far” planning, we have inserted a half day into the outbound trip that sees us leaving Thursday, July 3rd, late afternoon and running from Savannah to Jekyll Island. We will be staying at the Jekyll Harbor Marina

http://www.jekyllharbor.com/

The run should take right at 4 hours. This is the run time whether we run ICW or open ocean. Even though this part of the ICW is fairly squiggly, we end up having to run pretty far offshore to have adequate water under the keel (especially on the Approach to St. Simons from the north) and so the offshore run ends up only being about 6 miles less in total distance dock to dock. Also, with the likelihood of afternoon and evening storms, it would be nice to be able to divert if necessary without having to run for the next sound with deep water.

Day 1 Route Options.jpg

I have included a picture of the route from the route planning software showing the two possible paths for day one. As you can see, they both are about the same. So this is actually pretty much a no brainer. We will stay inside on the first day of the run.

Now the second day of the run is a totally different story…
Sea Dawg
2010 Commodore 4460
Volvo D6 IPS500
Sea Dawg

Postby Sea Dawg » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:42 am

Day Two of the run will see us running from Jekyll Island to Ponce de Leon Inlet. We will be spending the 4th at Inlet Harbor Marina.

http://www.inletharbor.com/

We stayed here last year on our run down and were very impressed with the place. This run presents several routing options with multiple variables to consider.

Day 2 Course Options.JPG

We can run totally inside on the ICW from Jekyll Harbor Marina to Inlet Harbor Marina and at BZ’s cruise speed and with the numerous No Wake Zones, it is a 12 hour run. The longest NWZ is the Cabbage Swamp cut which is about 7 miles long and takes about an hour to transit. Daytona also has an extended NWZ from north of the city until you get south of the city and are only a few miles from Inlet Harbor Marina. There are also NWZs at Amelia, the approach to the St. John’s River, in parts of Pablo Creek, St. Augustine, Palm Coast, Marineland, and Ormond Beach. BZ will also have to contend with multiple Bascule bridges if she stay’s inshore. Leaving Jekyll Harbor Marina at 8AM puts BZ into Inlet Harbor Marina by 8PM.

The second option is something of a compromise. Running offshore to St. Augustine and then running the ICW from STA to Inlet Harbor. This portion of the run is a little shorter in distance (less squiggling around and that old hypotenuse of the triangle thing) but also skips several large NWZs which makes for a 9 hour run. Leaving Jekyll Harbor Marina by 9AM puts BZ into Inlet Harbor at 6PM.

The third option is the shortest in time due to the fact that it is running offshore from Jekyll Harbor Marina (leaving at the St. Andrew’s Sound) and coming back in at Ponce Inlet and back tracking up the Halifax River to Inlet Harbor Marina. This route is actually just as many miles as the run coming in at St. Augustine because we have to back track about 2 miles through the inlet and back north on the Halifax River. This route has no NWZs (other than Ponce Inlet & Halifax River) and no bridges to contend with but it has very skinny water in the inlet and in the turn into the Halifax River. But at 7 hours for the run (dock to dock) for BZ, if the weather is good, it is going to be hard not to take this option. It is amazing how much time NWZs and bridges add to a journey. Leaving Jekyll at 9AM puts us in at 4PM. What a nice easy run. High tide that day is at 2:19PM so hopefully there will be adequate water over the shallows to let us slowly work our way in past the shoals.

All of the above numbers are for BZ. If Sea Dawg decides to run ahead, you can take about an hour off of the run time for each scenario. A NWZ though is a NWZ so it doesn’t matter how much faster Sea Dawg’s cruise speed is, in the NWZ Sea Dawg’s 5 kts is no different from BZ’s 5 kts.

BV’s fast cruise is even faster than Sea Dawg’s, but we will probably try to get him to stick with one of us if we end up running offshore.

The run for Day 3 is best run in the ICW, sipping Mimosas, watching Manatees, and conserving energy for the crossing the next day. So if we are going to run off-shore, Day 2 will be the day. Ping the location link on July 4th to see which route we end up taking.
Sea Dawg
2010 Commodore 4460
Volvo D6 IPS500
Sea Dawg

Postby timp4411 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:44 am

Sea Dog,

Thank you for sharing your travel adventures. Your posts are very detai8led and I really enjoy reading them.

I like the looks of those Blue LED in the Hard Top. What was the bulb number and your source to purchase them? Do you find they still give you enough light to see?

Thanks again.
2006 3860 Hard Top
timp4411

Postby Sea Dawg » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:54 am

timp4411 wrote:Sea Dog,

Thank you for sharing your travel adventures. Your posts are very detai8led and I really enjoy reading them.

I like the looks of those Blue LED in the Hard Top. What was the bulb number and your source to purchase them? Do you find they still give you enough light to see?

Thanks again.

Thank you for your kind words about the adventures. I enjoy sharing the journey. I guess that is why over the years my wife and I have invited other folks to go on the trips and other boats to join the flotilla. Adventure is more fun when it is shared.

I got the Blue/White LEDs from Marinebeam http://store.marinebeam.com/g4-led-blue-white.html. I chose the Blue/Cool White option for Sea Dawg with them starting Blue and then toggling to Cool White. The white is plenty bright and the blue is bright enough to see people at night while sitting and enjoying conversation on the boat. I have not tried sitting and reading small print (on a paperback book for example) at night under the blues, but since we have the whites, if I want to sit and read at night, the whites are a toggle away. I wanted blue first, because if I am running at night and someone wants to turn the lights on, then I won't lose my night vision as bad as if they went to the bright white first before toggling to blue.

Sea Dawg
Last edited by Sea Dawg on Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sea Dawg
2010 Commodore 4460
Volvo D6 IPS500
Sea Dawg

Postby timp4411 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:57 am

Sea Dawg,

Thanks for the info.

On my hard top, the lights are either all on or all off, so no real bright lights at the flick of a toggle.

But I like that blue look. I've seen red as well on some other boats and that's a cool look too.

Looking forward to the next installment of your adventure.

Regards and safe boating.
2006 3860 Hard Top
timp4411

Postby Sea Dawg » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:09 am

Well the weather seems to want to throw up additional challenges to our adventure even before we start.

Tropical Storm Track.JPG

Although the first potential named storm of the 2014 Atlantic Hurricane Season has arrived at an awkward time for the merry crews of BZ, BV and Sea Dawg, it looks like we will be fine as it will pass the coast of Georgia prior to our planned departure time on the 3rd and so all we will have to do is deal with lingering rain bands and some wind. The offshore routes have been taken off the table as the near coast forecast for the GA coast is 5 footers on Thursday.

http://forecast.weather.gov/shmrn.php?mz=amz450&syn=amz400

And on Friday, though diminished, the projected three foot waves, if on the nose and with a short period, will make the slog off-shore a little challenging.

http://forecast.weather.gov/shmrn.php?mz=amz452&syn=amz400

Having said all of that, we are blessed, that the storm should have a minimal impact on our adventure and our prayers go out to those who will be in its path on the 4th.
Sea Dawg
2010 Commodore 4460
Volvo D6 IPS500
Sea Dawg

Postby Sea Dawg » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:18 am

timp4411 wrote:But I like that blue look. I've seen red as well on some other boats and that's a cool look too.

In addition to the "cool look" factor is the fact that the lower lumen output of the blue (as well as the red) lights is less disruptive to night vision. I read somewhere that it is not the color of the light that destroys night vision, but the intensity of the light so blue or red lights that have lower total lumens of output are better at night.
Sea Dawg
2010 Commodore 4460
Volvo D6 IPS500
Sea Dawg

Postby timp4411 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:20 am

Sea Dawg wrote:
timp4411 wrote:But I like that blue look. I've seen red as well on some other boats and that's a cool look too.

In addition to the "cool look" factor is the fact that the lower lumen output of the blue (as well as the red) lights is less disruptive to night vision. I read somewhere that it is not the color of the light that destroys night vision, but the intensity of the light so blue or red lights that have lower total lumens of output are better at night.

Interesting... I always thought it had to do with the light spectrum with red being better. I didn't know it was all just about intensity (Lumens).
2006 3860 Hard Top
timp4411

Postby Sea Dawg » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:44 pm

timp4411 wrote:Interesting... I always thought it had to do with the light spectrum with red being better. I didn't know it was all just about intensity (Lumens).

I did too. I am trying to remember where I read that it is total lumens, not color.

Maybe on a website trying to sell Blue LED cockpit lights...

If only an opthamologist or two owned a Regal and cruised this forum and would offer their clinical insight!
Sea Dawg
2010 Commodore 4460
Volvo D6 IPS500
Sea Dawg

Postby timp4411 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:48 pm

Sea Dawg wrote:
timp4411 wrote:Interesting... I always thought it had to do with the light spectrum with red being better. I didn't know it was all just about intensity (Lumens).

I did too. I am trying to remember where I read that it is total lumens, not color.

Maybe on a website trying to sell Blue LED cockpit lights...

If only an opthamologist or two owned a Regal and cruised this forum and would offer their clinical insight!

Hmmm... I'll have to ask my wife.

She has worked at the Wilmer Eye Institute for over 30 years.
2006 3860 Hard Top
timp4411

Postby Sea Dawg » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:36 am

We are safely in The Sea of Abaco at Treasure Cay. It looks like I am not as tech savvy as I thought as I just went and hit the inReach share link above and the map does not show where Sea Dawg is. I will work to get it sorted out. The good news is that I have plenty of video that I will share once back in the land of unlimited bandwidth. Just to give you an idea on the trip, our crossing day on Sunday was predicted to be 1-2s in the stream with 5 knot winds and scattered TSs. The swells at the inlet were more like 3s and as we got off-shore, they grew to 5s, and we were hit and chased by some massive TSs all the way across the stream and half way across the Little Bahama Bank.

As I sit writing this, another TS is rolling across the Sea of Abaco. Looks like no beach time this AM...
Sea Dawg
2010 Commodore 4460
Volvo D6 IPS500
Sea Dawg

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:30 pm

Red is what you want to use, your eyes are less sensitive to this color than any other. This is the reason that most planes and yachts use red lights at night. It will not harm your night vision. Don't use other colors at night for sure. If you shine a white light for instance it can take about 30 mins to fully regain your night sight.

Sea Dawg,

Good job on the crossing. Don't get to wet! ;)
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby Sea Dawg » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:14 am

I wanted to post a brief video of the first evening of our trip. We left the Savannah area about 5PM and stayed in the ICW due to the fact that Andrew had transited offshore that morning and the seas were running 5-6 feet. We never really got any winds or rain bands from Andrew as it tracked pretty far offshore. We got caught by a storm near Sapelo Island and got caught by dark in the Altamaha sound. We ran what should have been the last hour in a little over two hours as the ICW at night in Georgia is an unforgiving beast.

We docked at Jekyll Harbor Marina a little about 11:15PM after a run that was slightly longer than expected.

http://youtu.be/-pv_qC-8jkM
Sea Dawg
2010 Commodore 4460
Volvo D6 IPS500
Sea Dawg

Postby Sea Dawg » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:30 am

I would appreciate some technical help from the forum folks. Yesterday I got an over temp warning on the port engine. There were some oyster shell shards in raw water strainer for the engine but no impeller bits (Volvo puts the strainers after the impellers to insure that if an impeller shreds, impeller bits don't get to heat exchanger or inter cooler). After checking entire system, here are the findings and problem:

1) Good flow from raw water intake Sea Cock.
2) Good flow from raw water injection into exhaust system when hose disconnected.
3) Good flow through entire system when boat is moving fast as viewed through glass sight hole in sea strainer.
4) When at idle and boat barely moving through water, large bubbles can be seen in sea strainer.
5) When at idle and boat not moving (as in getting ready to dock using joystick), there is no water viewable in sea strainer.

We suspect that exhaust gas pressure is over riding water pressure from impeller at idle speeds. If raw water hose is removed from exhaust injection connection, then water flow in system returns to normal. This leads me to suspect the impeller, but with the sea strainer basket removed, the impeller is viewable and when ticking the engine over, there was no viewable damage to impeller blades. Current impeller has less than 200 hours on it but presence of small oyster shell shards may have nicked blades, etc.

I am trying to get a call into the folks at Superior Diesel but being a weekend, they all go to voice mail. Before I start changing out the impeller (I carry spares), I wanted to know if any of you have any other TS ideas or thoughts.

Thanks,

Sea Dawg
Sea Dawg
2010 Commodore 4460
Volvo D6 IPS500
Sea Dawg

Postby Sea Dawg » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:45 pm

We are safely back in Savannah.

We had some weather delays on the return and ended up adding two days to our stay in the Bahamas! That seems like a great thing to do, but those two days were spent at a boatyard dock in the industrial harbor of Freeport, but "any port in a storm" was never more true! I am getting ahead of myself however...

I did end up posting a separate thread on the engine over heat issue above on the repair forum page. You can find the answers here http://www.regalownersforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8180
Sea Dawg
2010 Commodore 4460
Volvo D6 IPS500
Sea Dawg

Postby Sea Dawg » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:25 am

OK. Over the next few weeks, now that my nerves have recovered, I will post some content about our trip. We were blessed to have good friends on the trip. The weather, while not consistently bad, gave us two very memorable and miserable travel days out of our 18 day trip. I will get to each of them in turn.

I am still working through the video shots and will be compiling daily summaries of our travels. Berzerker also ran with a Go Pro this year and will be getting me his video shots of Sea Dawg for me to work into the saga. Our trip went according to the float plan with some minor delays until we tried to start heading home. The port list is as follows:

Savannah -> Jekyll Island
Jekyll Island -> Ponce Inlet
Ponce Inlet -> Hutchinson Island
Hutchinson Island -> Spanish Cay
Spanish Cay -> Treasure Cay
Local Cruising
Treasure Cay -> Green Turtle Cay
Green Turtle Cay -> Freeport, GBI (weather divert)
Freeport -> West End, GBI (weather divert)
West End -> Ft. Pierce -> Daytona
Daytona -> Savannah

Here is the course track for the trip:

Abacos 2014 Track.jpg
Sea Dawg
2010 Commodore 4460
Volvo D6 IPS500
Sea Dawg

Next

Return to Travel