Going on 315 mile 10 day trip

Inform members of your favorite itinerary or destination.

Going on 315 mile 10 day trip

Postby Kikaboo » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:51 pm

Okay, after much planning we are leaving for a 10 day 315 mile on the water trip this Friday with our 32Exp. This will be the longest and furthest outting yet and involve navigating some bigger water as well.

We will be hitting 7 marinas in 3 states over the course of 10 days.

Other than the cost of the fuel and dockage fees I'm really looking forward to this trip. Somehow for our weekend trips, I never feel I have enough time on the boat so this we will be a welcome change.

Legs range from 6 miles to about 80 miles with most somewhere between 30-60. What will be new is the bigger water up by Mystic CT, Newport RI and East Hampton NY. Hopefully we won't run into fog in RI but I've been told to prepare for it neverthelsss.

I'm taking a 2nd hand held VHF along with extra oil, gear lube, coolant, trim & steering fluid.

I'm also using a web based float plan tool which seems pretty cool. Floatplanregistry.com

IMG_6825.jpg
Rob
New York
2015 Regal 32 Express. T-Merc 5.7 Seacore (Cloud Nine)
2018 Achilles LSI-290E (Cloud One)
2011 Stingray 215LR. Merc 5.0
Facebook group page: Cloud Nine NY
Kikaboo

Re: Going on 315 mile 10 day trip

Postby cbsmith » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:02 pm

Does your boat have radar? Probably the most helpful thing you can have when running in fog.
2014 Regal 1900
2010 Sea-Doo GTX 155
2007 Sea-Doo Wake 215
cbsmith

Postby Kikaboo » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:40 pm

cbsmith wrote:Does your boat have radar? Probably the most helpful thing you can have when running in fog.

Yes I have radar however I've never had to use it in a "real" situation. I hear that can be a bit unerving.
I wanted to add AIS but that will have to be a project for next season.
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Postby TechRider » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:34 am

Have a great trip! Looking forward to hear about your trip from the CT river to Newport. I will be planning that trip next year.

I am still getting used to the boat and wanted some more experience before going that far.
2018 Regal 33 Express
TechRider

Postby Batchski » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:53 am

Looks like a great trip Rob! And you seem very prepared. The only other safety item I bring is a Personal Locator Beacon (ACR ResQLink+). I keep it in my "Go Bag" with flares in case we ever had a sudden emergency and had to get off the boat. Of course that would be rare, but it gives me a little peace of mind when off shore where nobody could see us.

I've had to use radar several times here now. With our cold water, we get the marine layer often so I've been stuck in it. I was happy to see it work well, and with a bit of practice, you can navigate comfortably just looking at the screen. It helps to have a spotter as well. Maybe practice running on it for a while and force yourself to not look ahead. I did that and it helps. Once in the fog, I was amazed how quickly I got turned around.

Looking forward to the recap and pictures!
Bruce
2014 Regal 32 Express, Mercruiser 5.7's, Axius Premier
2005 Regal 3060 Window Express, Volvo 5.7's (Sold)
Newport Beach, CA
2001 Supra Sunsport 22' Ski/Wakeboard Boat, Indmar 320HP
Batchski

Postby Kikaboo » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:41 pm

Batchski wrote:Looks like a great trip Rob! And you seem very prepared. The only other safety item I bring is a Personal Locator Beacon (ACR ResQLink+). I keep it in my "Go Bag" with flares in case we ever had a sudden emergency and had to get off the boat. Of course that would be rare, but it gives me a little peace of mind when off shore where nobody could see us.

I've had to use radar several times here now. With our cold water, we get the marine layer often so I've been stuck in it. I was happy to see it work well, and with a bit of practice, you can navigate comfortably just looking at the screen. It helps to have a spotter as well. Maybe practice running on it for a while and force yourself to not look ahead. I did that and it helps. Once in the fog, I was amazed how quickly I got turned around.

Looking forward to the recap and pictures!

Bruce thanks. I do have a PLB. Although not in a go bag but mounted next to me at the helm.
I also typically wear an inflatable life jacket when In bigger / rougher water and keep my Handheld VHF on my belt in case I find myself in the water unexpectedly.

I like the idea using the radar and not looking up... I'll have to give that a try.
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Postby Mischief Managed » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:35 pm

I hope you have a blast. We are presently on a 16 day trip and are having a great time. Our longest leg so far was 150 miles and it included 9 locks. Your trip should be a breeze. Consider a night or two on the hook, it's really fun.
Raymond NH, USA

Mischief Managed
2000 2550 LSC
7.4 MPI Bravo 3
Mischief Managed

Postby Kikaboo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:37 pm

I finally had some time to finish my slide show and get some thoughts down about this trip...

Oh where to begin. First we had an absolutely fantastic trip. We got super lucky with weather and sea conditions and never really had to travel in bad weather or rough seas.

Stats:

310 miles
3 States (CT/RI/NY)
7 cities/marinas (Old Saybrook/Essex/Mystic/Newport/East Hampton/Mattituck/Port Jefferson)

Biggest fears before the trip was running into fog, rough seas and swells, none of which materialized.
We did however have to adjusted our departure schedule a few hours one day in order to leave early and beat a storm.

Favorite places.

Newport RI (Newport Yachting Center)
Saybrook Point Marina
Strongs Water Club (Mattituck LI)

We also liked Mystic and Port Jefferson a lot.
We could have lived without East Hampton. Next time we will would try Montauk or Sag Harbor.

Two of the marinas had fixed docks with a 3+ foot tide swing which made it difficult to get our dog on/off the boat at low tide. We ended up making a makeshift gang plank using a folding chair but still had to coax the dog to cross it. I also have two large inflatable fenders on board which came in handy for the fixed docks.

Mechanical. No major issues. Before each leg, I checked the engine oil levels, gear lube, coolant and power steering fluids. I also checked the high water alarm, horn, navigation lights, ran the bilges and did a visual inspection of the engine room along with a radio check.

Minor issues (things that broke along the way).

1) Garmin WiFi. Blown fuse...I didn't have any extras fuses so I had to hunt one down. In the future, I will carry an assortment of extra fuses.

2) Half way into the trip, I was playing around with my Redport WiFi extender and disabled the WiFi by accident. Only way to re-enable it is with laptop via a network cable connection. I had a laptop with me but no network cable. I was not able to find one locally ( in walking distance) so I order next one next day from Amazon to the marina. IT was delayed in shipping so I would not be able to get it BUT a dock hand at the Newport marina let me borrow one from their office. I was then able to fix my WiFi issue.

3) Clips on the toilet seat cover broke. Wife an kids (girls) use the lid as a seat when brushing their hair and putting on makeup, etc. Somehow the clips broke now making it impossible for the females on board to use the toilet. I have all my manuals on board, found the one for the head, looked up the part and order next day to the marina where we would be. This time UPS worked so the package was at the marina waiting for me when I arrived.

4) One of my dock lines frayed at the end. I was able to use rescue tape to fix this. I have extra lines but nice to know I was able to save the line.

5) AC charger for my extra hand held VHF stopped working. I happened to have the DC charger with me so I was good. I carry the hand held VHF on board as a backup. I also attach it to my belt when I am in bad weather or in bigger water. If somehow I get separated from the boat and I'm in the water, I will have the radio on me. Also, if the boat's VHF breaks, we have a backup. We also take it with us if going on the Kayak. Having the hand held is a great 2nd/backup piece of equipment.

Packing. 3 out of 4 of us failed here. Only my youngest daughter (11) packed smartly and efficiently. The rest of us brought way to much stuff. We also learned that we should do laundry along the way when we have the opportunity instead of saying, we will wait until the next port. Sometimes the next port didn't have facilities or it was a long walk away or inconvenient.

For the trip itself, if I were to do it again (and I will next year) we would plan less places but a longer time at each place. It would also be great to not have strict reservations with tight cancellation policies so we can make adjustments on the fly like staying longer in a place we like or dropping the hook somewhere or just doing something we didn't think of or plan.

For this trip we printed the marina dock map layouts ahead of time and put them in a binder. On each map if it didn't have the info already we wrote down the hours, what vhf channel was monitored and if they had gas. When we approached the marina, I tasked one of my kids to write down the instructions given over the radio in terms of slip number, location, port/starboard tie up etc. Sometimes this info comes fast and furious and having them write it down makes it much easier.

I rank this 10 day trip in the top 3 of all my boating trips so far. Boat ran great, weather and conditions were awesome. We met some really nice new boater families along the way. I'm already planning two similar trips for next year, one back up into Rhode Island and the other down the NJ coast (start of the ICW). Spring cant come soon enough.

Link is to a YouTube slideshow of highlights for the trip. Not sure anyone is interested

https://youtu.be/WOuc3-xq-bQ
Last edited by Kikaboo on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Postby Batchski » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:26 pm

I'm interested enough to report that your YouTube link isn't correct! :D

Great write-up! Love these multi-stop trips you guys can make on the east coast.
Bruce
Newport Beach, CA
Batchski

Postby Kikaboo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:45 pm

Batchski wrote:I'm interested enough to report that your YouTube link isn't correct! :D

Great write-up! Love these multi-stop trips you guys can make on the east coast.

That’s really weird... how about now? Link should be working
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Postby MyPleasure » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:04 pm

Worked for me ... ;)
MyPleasure

Postby Batchski » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:12 pm

Kikaboo wrote:
Batchski wrote:I'm interested enough to report that your YouTube link isn't correct! :D

That’s really weird... how about now? Link should be working

All good now! Awesome video, and great memories.
Bruce
Newport Beach, CA
Batchski

Postby TechRider » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:07 am

Great Video! Looks like you had a wonderful trip with lots of good memories.

How was the trip to Newport from CT? I am interested in making the trip from the CT river to Newport this year.
2018 Regal 33 Express
TechRider

Postby Kikaboo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:08 am

TechRider wrote:Great Video! Looks like you had a wonderful trip with lots of good memories.

How was the trip to Newport from CT? I am interested in making the trip from the CT river to Newport this year.

Before the trip, the leg from Mystic to Newport was my biggest concern. I was told that once you cross Point Judith things could get dicey in terms of possible fog and swells. For our trip this was not the case either going or coming as the weather was perfect with really only a light breeze to light wind. I will be making this trip again this summer for sure maybe in late July/early August. From the CT river we will stop in Mystic again overnight because we liked it and then head to Newport from there. Basically from the CT river to Mystic to Newport we pretty much followed the coastline around Watch Hill Point then around Point Judith. We planned the trip 4-6 weeks ahead of time and just got lucky on the weather.

If you are concerned about making that trip on your own (safety in numbers), you welcome to join us for the trip out there. I may in fact try and organize a few other boats (not just Regals) for a trip to New Port.

Rob
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Postby TechRider » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:13 pm

Thanks for the info! I will take you up on that offer, would be nice to travel with others.
2018 Regal 33 Express
TechRider

Postby Spysea » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:29 pm

Im on the CT/RI border and have made the trip to and from Newport several times this year. Most of the times it has been great but do watch out for the wakes of those 100'+ mega yachts. If you could plan to come in or leave earlier in the day it usually helps as the waters have yet to be "stirred up." You guys should check out Watch Hill also, there is a well protected anchorage/morings with great beaches on the other side of the sandbank. Nice little town is only a 5 min dinghy ride away. We just did the Cape Cod loop, had an awesome time!
2014 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P
Spysea

Postby Kikaboo » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:33 am

Spysea wrote:Im on the CT/RI border and have made the trip to and from Newport several times this year. Most of the times it has been great but do watch out for the wakes of those 100'+ mega yachts. If you could plan to come in or leave earlier in the day it usually helps as the waters have yet to be "stirred up." You guys should check out Watch Hill also, there is a well protected anchorage/morings with great beaches on the other side of the sandbank. Nice little town is only a 5 min dinghy ride away. We just did the Cape Cod loop, had an awesome time!

Thanks. We did another 10 day trip this year up through Newport then to Montauk and other LI points. We had to make some adjustments due to bad weather but overall conditions were good. Worst we had was some bigger swells got about 25 miles going from Newport to Montauk. Next year we may and try and visit Watch Hill area as well.
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Postby JNelson90 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:46 am

Just watched the photo compilation - really nice job and some great pictures. Thank you for sharing!
Kindest regards, Jeff

2006 - Regal 3860 Hard Top
2009 - Yamaha Waverunner FX SHO
JNelson90

Postby Kikaboo » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:33 am

JNelson90 wrote:Just watched the photo compilation - really nice job and some great pictures. Thank you for sharing!

Thanks...I just watched that again now...it was fun to see those pics. We went on another fantastic 10 trip this year 2018...If I find the time I want to put together another video. It just takes so long to do but its really nice to have something out there we can go back and look at.
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Postby kdubya » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:29 pm

That is a great video! That is such a different boating adventure than we do in the Midwest. Thank you for sharing!
The Wilson's
"Memory Maker"
Kansas City / Kimberling City, MO
Regal 2700 ES
Ecoboost F150
kdubya

Next

Return to Travel