Winter Florida-Bahama Crossing

Inform members of your favorite itinerary or destination.

Winter Florida-Bahama Crossing

Postby rblount7 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:10 am

I have spent the past 4 weeks researching a cruise to the Bahamas for Christmas and New Years and there are lots of differing opinions on the matter. Since the majority of articles and threads I have read have been from sailors, I am wondering if anyone on here has made the crossing and would be willing to discuss with me?

I am considering a 3 week period which will allow us plenty of time to ensure there is not a Nor'easter churning up the Gulf Stream and the float plan will be to take the ICW to Miami where we will cross to Bimini.

We will be in our 3860.

I look forward to hearing your ideas, fellow Regal Owners.
rblount7

Re: Winter Florida-Bahama Crossing

Postby On Holiday » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:08 pm

Check out some recent threads regarding a similar voyage.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10101
2006 Regal 2400
On Holiday

Postby Rpontual » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:26 pm

As we get closer others may also come up with plans to cross during this timeframe. I am always ready, the challenge is to convince the admiral. :P
Romulo

2018 Bavaria R40 Coupe, Diesel
2015 Regal 35SC, Diesel - SOLD
Rpontual

Postby rblount7 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:05 pm

My "Admiral" and I have decided to push forward with our plan to spend Christmas and New Years in the Bahamas and have agreed on an initial plan.

We live in the Daytona Beach area and therefore will cruise the ICW to our launch point in Jupiter. From Jupiter we will follow a clockwise itinerary to West End, Green Turtle Cay/March Harbor, Cat Cay, Bimini and then cross back over to the ICW via Ft. Lauderdale. In the event a cold front has the Florida Current whipped up as we approach Jupiter we can continue down the ICW to Ft. Lauderdale where we can then cross to Bimini and complete the above itinerary in a counter clock-wise journey.

We would be happy to link up and cross over with any others wanting to get away for the holidays.

Very much open to recommendations from all of you, seasoned travelers.

Thank you,

Rb
rblount7

Postby xixp » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:44 pm

Last month i crossed to Grand Bahama (West End) from Port Everglades and a couple of years ago to Bimini.
I personally think that the most important factor is the weather, just try to assure a window to cross in both ways with waves not bigger than 3ft. Otherwise it will be a not very enjoyable trip.
2016 SC 35 , "Phoenix"
2010 3760 (sold)
xixp

Postby rblount7 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:06 pm

xixp wrote:Last month i crossed to Grand Bahama (West End) from Port Everglades and a couple of years ago to Bimini.
I personally think that the most important factor is the weather, just try to assure a window to cross in both ways with waves not bigger than 3ft. Otherwise it will be a not very enjoyable trip.

Thanks for the "weather window" advice, XIXP.
rblount7

Return to Travel