FL - Miami Beach > Key West

Inform members of your favorite itinerary or destination.

FL - Miami Beach > Key West

Postby Rpontual » Mon May 09, 2016 2:03 pm

This is going to be my first adventure towards the Florida "Keys".

I am assuming that this is about a five hours trip from the time we leave Port Miami. This is a bit of guess, information from others that took this trip would be great.

Based on the estimation of five hours trip, I am considering to stop around half of the journey. The place that seems good is located at N24 56.477' /W080 36.444'. There is a TiKi Bar there, a couple of places to eat basic food and a small marina. If you guys have been there, I would love to hear about the experience. If there is a nicer place that I missed, please point out!

As for place to stay in Key West, we are comparing locations and cost now. Staying close to Duval street is a plus. ;)

I will be refining my plans and posting here to share amongst us. Please contribute with suggestions or hints.
Romulo

2018 Bavaria R40 Coupe, Diesel
2015 Regal 35SC, Diesel - SOLD
Rpontual

Re: FL - Miami Beach > Key West

Postby Bull Market » Mon May 09, 2016 4:03 pm

As far as a Marina to stay in Key West i like A&B marina (aandbmarina.com). The location is great right on front street. Its got floating docks and the crew is very good and handling the lines and giving any advice about getting around. Its close to all the restaurants and shops. Its usually not busy in the summer, but they do have a couple groups that always seem to be there so a reservation is a must.
Colin
Bull Market
2015 Regal 46 SC IPS 500
Bull Market

Postby jacobske » Wed May 11, 2016 3:43 am

The Galleon Marina is nice as well. Stayed there a couple times. Great location and good docks.

On the way, Hawks Cay Marina, on Duck Key, is nice. Pricey though.

We like City of Marathon Marina as well.

Take your time and enjoy.

I assume you running ocean side Hawk Channel most of the way down ?
SEA J III
2003 Regal 2860
Twin 4.3 GXIs
jacobske
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby jacobske » Wed May 11, 2016 3:48 am

It's easy to run across Biscayne Bay to the ICW down to Marathon, then at Channel 5 cross over to the ocean side Hawk Channel and then down to Key West.
I would not recommend the ICW below Marathon. Too shallow, out of the way and not necessary.

Good luck.
SEA J III
2003 Regal 2860
Twin 4.3 GXIs
jacobske

Postby Rpontual » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:53 pm

The count down started. We booked the A&E marina for 6/21.

I am now designing the trip. We will probably stop one time when going south and stop two times during the return trip. This way we will get early to Key West, a location we are not familiar with, and get home just before dark when returning.

My initial guess is to stop in Islamorada when going South. When returning is to stop in Marathon and Key Largo. Anyway, ideas here would be great.

Thanks.
Romulo

2018 Bavaria R40 Coupe, Diesel
2015 Regal 35SC, Diesel - SOLD
Rpontual

Return to Travel