Bahamas

Inform members of your favorite itinerary or destination.

Re: Bahamas

Postby Bull Market » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:08 pm

On July 3rd we left from Old Bahama Bay and made the 127 mile run to Green Turtle Cay. We cruised at about 28 mph most of the way until the last 15 miles where we slowed. What a difference waiting an extra day made. It was calm after the first half an hour when we made the turn at Memory Rock and entered the Sea of Abaco. The water depth dropped to 6-11 feet for most of the run. As we approached Green Turtle Cay a small rain squall caught up to us, so we slowed down had lunch and emptied the holding tank (there are no working pump out facilities in the Abaco's that I know of). We came into Green Turtle Cay about an hour after dead low tide. On previous trips they assured me there was 6 feet mean low water in the entrance channel. I was hesitant to come in, but decided to try it and we had 6 inches under my pods as we were in the channel. I came in at about 4 knots waiting for the bump of the sandy bottom, but it never came. The next day, I looked at the depth under my pods at low tide in the slip and it was 1 inch. I have my Fathometer set to show how much is under my pods not how deep the water is. (Just my preference).

Close to Green Turtle Cay is Noname Cay and there are a large number of wild pigs running loose on the island and the kids wanted to see them. The bull market draws to much (3 1/2 feet) to get close to the beach and I don't carry a dingy so we rented a 20 foot boat. We took the kids to feed the pigs with some left over coconut bread. The pigs ate it very quickly and moved on to the next boat load of tourists. We then went to do some fishing and then the women did some shelling on a gorgeous beach. We didn't catch anything but had a good time.
Attachments
image.jpg
On the beach
image.jpg
image.jpg
Feeding the pigs
image.jpg
Yes they do bite.
image.jpg
Very shallow in the slip
image.jpg
Land
image.jpg
My crew. Son passed out on the left. Daughter lying down. Wife asleep with foot on life raft.
image.jpg
On the way to Green Turtle Cay.
Colin
Bull Market
2015 Regal 46 SC IPS 500
Bull Market

Re: Bahamas

Postby Bull Market » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:11 pm

jaysamuel wrote:Thank you for this post, I love reading about travels almost as much as I love to travel

I have learned a lot of things about my boat from people on this site answering my stupid questions and just reading other people's posts about their problems and adventures. I hope to inspire someone to take their boat somewhere they have never been, provide some entertainment by laughing at my mistakes (i do) or just show a couple pictures of very nice places.

To me boating is about family having a good time.
Colin
Bull Market
2015 Regal 46 SC IPS 500
Bull Market

Previous

Return to Travel