Bahamas

Inform members of your favorite itinerary or destination.

Bahamas

Postby Bull Market » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:10 pm

I am heading to the Abacos (Bahamas) from central Florida in early July. Just wondering if anybody else is heading that way ?
Colin
Bull Market
2015 Regal 46 SC IPS 500
Bull Market

Re: Bahamas

Postby pnyxxpress » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:17 pm

We would like to make the trip some day. We were planning to join the jet boaters or pwc groups that go over a couple times each year.
Regal 28 Express
"Drift Away"
pnyxxpress

Postby Rpontual » Thu May 05, 2016 8:00 pm

At this point I am planning to head to Bimini Island, pretty soon I hope. Depending on the enthusiasm we may return for something like your plan. Please keep us updated on your plans...
Romulo

2018 Bavaria R40 Coupe, Diesel
2015 Regal 35SC, Diesel - SOLD
Rpontual

Postby Bull Market » Wed May 25, 2016 4:40 pm

image.jpg
The kids finished school yesterday, the boat is fully loaded with everything I think I could need, and this morning I started a trip to south Florida (Riveria beach) to go over to the Abacos and now a disturbance pops up. It's too early for a hurricane or subtropical disturbance.

Hoping what ever it is blows through fast and Friday's seas calm down. Friday's plan is for a 138 mile run from Lake Worth to Spanish cay.
Colin
Bull Market
2015 Regal 46 SC IPS 500
Bull Market

Postby Bull Market » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:41 pm

image.jpg
The boat ready to go
We made the trip a day later than expected but the weather was great. We went from Riveria Beach , FL to Spanish cay, to Green Turtle cay, to West End Grand Bahama, to Fort Pierce, Fl. The boat ran great except for the AC in the cockpit died. Probably the thermostat got fried on the Bahamian power, but we didn't need it to sleep.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
The satellite weather showing the rain avoiding us
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Colin
Bull Market
2015 Regal 46 SC IPS 500
Bull Market

Postby Bull Market » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:52 pm

A few more pics
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Colin
Bull Market
2015 Regal 46 SC IPS 500
Bull Market

Postby Bull Market » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:53 pm

While in the Abaco's we had a good time, I just convinced the admiral to make a trip back. I'm making plans to head back on June 28th. I think I have a better idea about what we need to take and what we don't need. Since the last trip was our first time making a solo crossing to the Bahamas with two kids, my wife (the admiral) packed everything she thought we MIGHT need. Her packing of everything under the sun slowed our top speed by 8 knots. I'm planning on the trip hitting West End (Old Bahama Bay), Green Turtle Cay, Treasure Cay, Guana Cay, Marsh Harbour, Spanish Cay, & Hope Town.

I have never been to Treasure Cay, Guana Cay, Marsh Harbour, or Hope Town. If anybody has been to any of these islands and has any advise please share it with me.
Colin
Bull Market
2015 Regal 46 SC IPS 500
Bull Market

Postby Bull Market » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:24 pm

Making the new plans and trying to get a few things done on the boat. My ice maker won't make ice (freezes but won't flip out the cubes), generator remote start now won't work, light in the lower fridge keeps blowing, the back of the sea grass mats on the stern outside of the sliding glass door are sticking to the non skid deck and shredding & the mast that the open array radar is mounted on has a crack in it that parallels the weld (the crack concerns me). The dealer that I bought the boat from has been good and looked at the crack on the mast and said don't worry, but I had them send pics to Regal for a second opinion.

Weather permitting the new itinerary is:
Attachments
image.jpg
Colin
Bull Market
2015 Regal 46 SC IPS 500
Bull Market

Postby Kikaboo » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:04 pm

Bull Market wrote:Making the new plans and trying to get a few things done on the boat. My ice maker won't make ice (freezes but won't flip out the cubes), generator remote start now won't work, light in the lower fridge keeps blowing, the back of the sea grass mats on the stern outside of the sliding glass door are sticking to the non skid deck and shredding & the mast that the open array radar is mounted on has a crack in it that parallels the weld (the crack concerns me). The dealer that I bought the boat from has been good and looked at the crack on the mast and said don't worry, but I had them send pics to Regal for a second opinion.

Weather permitting the new itinerary is:

Okay, this is insane. Are you saying you this is a 1 month long trip???!!! That's awesome. I struggle to find more than a day given the wife and kids pulling in different directions.
Rob
New York
2015 Regal 32 Express. T-Merc 5.7 Seacore (Cloud Nine)
2018 Achilles LSI-290E (Cloud One)
2011 Stingray 215LR. Merc 5.0
Facebook group page: Cloud Nine NY
Kikaboo

Postby Bull Market » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:43 pm

I'm planning on it being a month long. The unknowns are the weather and my health. I'm retired (forced to do so a couple years earlier than I expected) due to being diagnosed with an auto immune disease called CIDP, it's similar to M.S. I get infusions of a chemo type drug a couple times a year and have good weeks and bad weeks. So when my health is good, we take advantage of it. I time my boat trips around my good weeks. With my kids still in school we can only go on longer trips in the summer. Our first trip this summer to the Abaco's was 12 days and the four of us didn't kill each other. With kids 9 & 17 that's a miracle in itself. Getting them both to go without real wifi for a month is going to be rough. When I first brought up the idea of going for a month to the admiral and kids they were all for it, I was surprised.
Colin
Bull Market
2015 Regal 46 SC IPS 500
Bull Market

Postby Kikaboo » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:44 pm

Bull Market wrote:I'm planning on it being a month long. The unknowns are the weather and my health. I'm retired (forced to do so a couple years earlier than I expected) due to being diagnosed with an auto immune disease called CIDP, it's similar to M.S. I get infusions of a chemo type drug a couple times a year and have good weeks and bad weeks. So when my health is good, we take advantage of it. I time my boat trips around my good weeks. With my kids still in school we can only go on longer trips in the summer. Our first trip this summer to the Abaco's was 12 days and the four of us didn't kill each other. With kids 9 & 17 that's a miracle in itself. Getting them both to go without real wifi for a month is going to be rough. When I first brought up the idea of going for a month to the admiral and kids they were all for it, I was surprised.

Good luck with your trip, I'm sure it will be awesome. Family and boating time is great stuff.
Rob
New York
2015 Regal 32 Express. T-Merc 5.7 Seacore (Cloud Nine)
2018 Achilles LSI-290E (Cloud One)
2011 Stingray 215LR. Merc 5.0
Facebook group page: Cloud Nine NY
Kikaboo

Postby Sea Dawg » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:52 pm

Bull Market wrote:While in the Abaco's we had a good time, I just convinced the admiral to make a trip back. I'm making plans to head back on June 28th. I think I have a better idea about what we need to take and what we don't need. Since the last trip was our first time making a solo crossing to the Bahamas with two kids, my wife (the admiral) packed everything she thought we MIGHT need. Her packing of everything under the sun slowed our top speed by 8 knots. I'm planning on the trip hitting West End (Old Bahama Bay), Green Turtle Cay, Treasure Cay, Guana Cay, Marsh Harbour, Spanish Cay, & Hope Town.

I have never been to Treasure Cay, Guana Cay, Marsh Harbour, or Hope Town. If anybody has been to any of these islands and has any advise please share it with me.

Bull Market,

It sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned. Sea Dawg has been to the Abacos several times over the years and we love all of the places that you are staying.

Treasure Cay Marina is wonderful and has great facilities as well as a great beach.

Marsh Harbor is really more of a city than an island destination but offers the best reprovisioning options (selection as well as cost).

I would recommend hitting Active Captain to confirm the fuel prices but have found that when we went to the Abacos, OBB had the best prices and Spanish Cay the worst (most expensive).

In Hope Town the kids have got to climb the lighthouse.

Guana Cay is great though don't take your family to Nippers on Sunday, it can get a little crazy. Orchid Bay Marina can get a little bumpy when the swells are coming out of the west as the breakwater is easily topped by waves.

I don't recall ever staying at a marina in the Abacos that had a working pump out facility so be prepared on your transit days to make pumping out when offshore a priority.

Of course when you say, "kids" I am presuming that they are fairly young as "they are still in school", but if they need more excitement than lighthouses, then that is another post.

Not that Sea Dawg has ever been involved in a bar crawl across the Abacos or anything... But I know some folks who have.

Fair Winds and Safe Travels!
Sea Dawg
2010 Commodore 4460
Volvo D6 IPS500
Sea Dawg

Postby Bull Market » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:23 pm

Sea Dawg wrote:
Bull Market wrote:While in the Abaco's we had a good time, I just convinced the admiral to make a trip back. I'm making plans to head back on June 28th. I think I have a better idea about what we need to take and what we don't need. Since the last trip was our first time making a solo crossing to the Bahamas with two kids, my wife (the admiral) packed everything she thought we MIGHT need. Her packing of everything under the sun slowed our top speed by 8 knots. I'm planning on the trip hitting West End (Old Bahama Bay), Green Turtle Cay, Treasure Cay, Guana Cay, Marsh Harbour, Spanish Cay, & Hope Town.

Bull Market,

It sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned. Sea Dawg has been to the Abacos several times over the years and we love all of the places that you are staying.

Treasure Cay Marina is wonderful and has great facilities as well as a great beach.

Marsh Harbor is really more of a city than an island destination but offers the best reprovisioning options (selection as well as cost).

I would recommend hitting Active Captain to confirm the fuel prices but have found that when we went to the Abacos, OBB had the best prices and Spanish Cay the worst (most expensive).

In Hope Town the kids have got to climb the lighthouse.

Guana Cay is great though don't take your family to Nippers on Sunday, it can get a little crazy. Orchid Bay Marina can get a little bumpy when the swells are coming out of the west as the breakwater is easily topped by waves.

I don't recall ever staying at a marina in the Abacos that had a working pump out facility so be prepared on your transit days to make pumping out when offshore a priority.

Of course when you say, "kids" I am presuming that they are fairly young as "they are still in school", but if they need more excitement than lighthouses, then that is another post.

Not that Sea Dawg has ever been involved in a bar crawl across the Abacos or anything... But I know some folks who have.

Fair Winds and Safe Travels!

Sea Dawg,

Thanks for the info about Nippers & Orchid bay, i appreciate it. My kids are 17 & 9 so i hope I've got a few years before the 9 year old gets involved in a bar crawl, but my 17 year old son is taller that i am and looks older that he is, so I'm sure he is going to sample an occasional local libation when I'm out fishing. I've got Steve Dodge's Abaco Guide (& other charts) and i know enough to watch the tides, but were there any spots or waypoints that looking back you would have changed.
Colin
Bull Market
2015 Regal 46 SC IPS 500
Bull Market

Postby Sea Dawg » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:23 am

Bull Market wrote:Sea Dawg,

Thanks for the info about Nippers & Orchid bay, i appreciate it. My kids are 17 & 9 so i hope I've got a few years before the 9 year old gets involved in a bar crawl, but my 17 year old son is taller that i am and looks older that he is, so I'm sure he is going to sample an occasional local libation when I'm out fishing. I've got Steve Dodge's Abaco Guide (& other charts) and i know enough to watch the tides, but were there any spots or waypoints that looking back you would have changed.

Bull Market,

Steve Dodge's way points for the Abacos are spot on as were the charts on my Garmin MFDs. While some folks with boats of 4 foot draft will run the "Don't Rock Pass" between Treasure Cay and GTC, I usually play it safe and run on the sea side of Whale Cay. If you are coming out of Hope Town and want to head directly north to either Man-o-War or Guana Cays, be careful of the shallows about a mile outside the harbor entrance from Hope Town. Also the entrance to Hope Town is very shallow and when the island supply ship is coming in, he takes up what little channel there is so it is almost worth a securite call as you are rounding the bend, but who knows if it will do any good because it is the Bahamas after all...

I have written a little bit about our last trip to the Abacos in this forum topic. Just look a little further down and you will find the Adventures of Sea Dawg... which recounts our trip from 2014. I envy you your upcoming trip. I wish Sea Dawg could meet you there!
Sea Dawg
2010 Commodore 4460
Volvo D6 IPS500
Sea Dawg

Postby Bull Market » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:31 am

image.jpg
Flying the "q" flag
image.jpg
Old Bahama bay in sight
image.jpg
Calm seas
image.jpg
Thunder storms had a lot of lightning.
image.jpg
Starting the trip. autopilot set.
image.jpg
In Fort Pierce before we departed.
After being delayed a day due to an AC problem we left Fort Pierce City Marina at 730am headed for Old Bahama Bay at West End, Grand Bahama. The forecast was for 2 feet in the Gulf Stream so we opted for a direct route about 98 miles straight there. It should have been about a 3 hour run. Well about 20 mins after the last channel bouy at Fort Pierce the Satellite weather started showing several thunder squalls that are moving into our course. That seemed to be lining up directly in our path. The waves were 3-4 feet, but the interval was only 4 seconds. We deviated South and then North around the thunderstorms and ended up almost perfectly back on our original course. The last 45 mins were the worst. With the short interval between the waves we were bouncing a lot. We slowed down to 21 mph then down to 10 mph. Before we slowed we were launched off a couple waves and hit hard. The fridge downstairs popped open and the admiral's bottle of wine flew out and thumped into the stairs. Thank goodness it didn't break. Several drawers popped open and the smaller items that we put on the master bed ended up all over the floor. My kids had taken sea sick pills and slept through it all. When we finally arrived at Old Bahama Bay they were busy. We were number four inline for diesel behind 2 small center console boats and a large sports fishing boat. I could see a line of people at Bahamian Customs & Immigration building. The fuel pumps are slow and the sports fishing boat ahead of us took 1600 gallons. I was very happy I had the DPS. At the touch of a button, I could get other things done and not have to worry about holding the boat still for 45 mins. The 100 gallons of fuel I burned on the trip over seemed small compared to what the sports fishing boat took. It took a while at Customs and I had all the paperwork completed before we left the States. After clearing customs it was time for a swim and to hit Teasers Beach Bar. The boat got washed down when it was cooler outside.
Colin
Bull Market
2015 Regal 46 SC IPS 500
Bull Market

Postby Bull Market » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:35 am

It was an ugly day here. The thunder storms rolled in about 9 am and stayed all day long. Also starting about 9 am the first of many center console boats and sports fishing boats pulled in for fuel and to clear customs. The people all had foul weather gear on and the kids were very happy to be on dry land for a while. It was a constant rotation of boats well over 50 came in fueled cleared customs and left again. In the afternoon the bigger sports fishing boats showed up. The marina is booked solid for the 4th of July weekend. We had a couple small breaks in the thunderstorms but not long enough to do anything more than take the kids for a dip in the pool. The Marina office and a boat two slips down from us were hit by lightning. It fried most of the boats electronics, the owner had just pulled in and left them all on.

In the afternoon the AC in the rear cabin showed HPF. After trying a couple things and flushing the line with a dock hose it was time to look at the Unit itself. On the 46 SC it's in the cockpit sort of behind and next to the fridge. There is no access without removing the fridge and a partition wall. It's no easy thing and it's a small space in there. After pulling out the fridge and the partition wall I still couldn't get any access to the front of the unit. I'm not a handy AC guy, but I still wanted to look at and poke around at it. The admiral has smaller hands and arms so she was itching to see if she could reach it. As she crawled into the space where the fridge was I warned her about the water line that splices off the sink and goes to the outside ice maker. Well, after about 30 seconds she starts screaming "shut it off, shut it off". I look down and she accidentally pulled the line going to the ice maker partially from its connector and water is spraying everywhere. I had the water from the dock going into the stern of the boat, so I had to crawl over the fridge and get off the boat to shut it off. By that time the admiral was soaked. When I looked at the water line to the ice maker there was a shutoff right next to where it was spraying from, but she never saw it. Time to clean up the mess. When that was done we tried the AC again and the HPF error was gone.
Attachments
image.jpg
Weather finally cleared
image.jpg
Storms
image.jpg
AC unit is behind black partition
Colin
Bull Market
2015 Regal 46 SC IPS 500
Bull Market

Postby Bull Market » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:45 am

A couple pics i couldn't attach to the last post.
Attachments
image.jpg
The AC unit I couldn't reach.
image.jpg
No more rain.
Colin
Bull Market
2015 Regal 46 SC IPS 500
Bull Market

Postby bhead56 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:28 pm

Hey Bull Market,
I see you left from Fort Pierce.. Is it that your regular marina? My mom has lived with in Ft. Pierce for past 27 years. Wife and I both retired last night year and spent March there. Have booked Feb., March and April for next winter. Staying at Harbour Isle just over the bridge by the marina. Enjoy the Saturday morning Farmers Market, 2nd street Bistro and eateries by the jetty.

If your in Fort Pierce maybe our pathes will cross.
Scott
Scott and Kathy

2011 Cruisers Yachts 300 Express
Black Pearl

2001 Regal 2460
Perfect Fit
Oneida Lake
Liverpool, NY
bhead56
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby jaysamuel » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:03 am

Thank you for this post, I love reading about travels almost as much as I love to travel
jaysamuel

Postby Bull Market » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:27 pm

bhead56 wrote:Hey Bull Market,
I see you left from Fort Pierce.. Is it that your regular marina? My mom has lived with in Ft. Pierce for past 27 years. Wife and I both retired last night year and spent March there. Have booked Feb., March and April for next winter. Staying at Harbour Isle just over the bridge by the marina. Enjoy the Saturday morning Farmers Market, 2nd street Bistro and eateries by the jetty.

If your in Fort Pierce maybe our pathes will cross.
Scott

We like Fort Pierce a lot. We keep the boat in Satellite beach it's about 50 miles North. We come through Fort Pierce all the time. It's our usual first stop on our way South or to the Bahamas. We definately like the farmers market, the 2nd street bistro and the TIki bars.

It's a very nice area. I will keep my eyes open for you when we come through in the winter.
Colin
Bull Market
2015 Regal 46 SC IPS 500
Bull Market

Next

Return to Travel