Boating On Green Bay - Lake Michigan

Inform members of your favorite itinerary or destination.

Boating On Green Bay - Lake Michigan

Postby Muddy Blues » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:40 pm

I am considering spending a few days in the Door County area (the peninsula) and getting a transient slip for the boat. Thinking of Sister Bay or maybe Fish Creek, but would consider any location that provides good access to the lake as well as shelter if the winds pick up. Seeking any advice for boating the area, such as marinas, bays to visits, water hazards, places to stay (dog friendly), best (or worst?) timeframe for boating, general thoughts, etc.

Regards, John
2007 Regal 2700, 8.1 VP DP
Lake Geneva, WI
Muddy Blues

Re: Boating On Green Bay - Lake Michigan

Postby Feedingfrenzy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:22 pm

I'm familiar with that area as my in laws had a place up there until my mother in law passed away. I say had because my father in law remarried and doesn't invite us up there anymore. Really sad stuff. Anyway Sister Bay Marina is very nice. He slipped his boat there for some 20 years. We would trailer ours up when we would vacation up there. You'll be fine in the 2700 just make sure the north wind does not pick up as it can change direction quickly. I would go late July early August to insure the lake is warm enough. Not sure on lodging as we would stay at his condo. Peninsula State Park has a nice moor up area and beach. Look up chambers Island. The western side has a beach moor up area. Come in wide around the island. There is usually only about a dozen boats and more quiet. Feels like your in the middle of no where. You can make the trip up to Washington Island but it will take some charts and research. If you stay on the west side of Washington Island you will be fine. You do need to be careful up there though. Ships have gone down in Deaths Door. Some places to stop by boat are Fred and Fuzzy's and JJ's in Sister Bay (good margarita).
12' 2300 5.7GXI Duoprop
02' 2100LSR 5.0EFI Alpha (Sold)
Milwaukee, WI
Feedingfrenzy

Postby Muddy Blues » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:10 pm

Ff - Thanks for the reply, that is very helpful, and I look forward to checking out Chambers Island.

One question: In looking at a few charts online, it looks like there are some shoals or shallow hazards. Are these marked with buoys?
Lake Geneva, WI
Muddy Blues

Postby Lost Weekend » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:27 am

The Great Lakes Cruising Club had is 2017 annual Regatta in Sturgeon Bay in Door Country this past Summer and I can attest to the fact that it is beautiful country up there. We took up most of the marinas in the Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal for the 5 day Regatta, and all of them were well equipped, very professional and very friendly. Many of the cruisers at the Regatta continued up the peninsula. You can see comments and links to the various marinas and anchoring bays in Door Country in the GLCC website.
Stephen
"The Billy Madalena"
2006 - Regal 3860
Twin Volvo IPS diesel 400's
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Lost Weekend

Postby Muddy Blues » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:34 am

We have a cabin and a slip reserved for a long weekend in August. Really looking forward to this trip. Now I just need the weather to cooperate!
Lake Geneva, WI
Muddy Blues

Return to Travel