Going on 315 mile 10 day trip

Inform members of your favorite itinerary or destination.

Going on 315 mile 10 day trip

Postby Kikaboo » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:51 pm

Okay, after much planning we are leaving for a 10 day 315 mile on the water trip this Friday with our 32Exp. This will be the longest and furthest outting yet and involve navigating some bigger water as well.

We will be hitting 7 marinas in 3 states over the course of 10 days.

Other than the cost of the fuel and dockage fees I'm really looking forward to this trip. Somehow for our weekend trips, I never feel I have enough time on the boat so this we will be a welcome change.

Legs range from 6 miles to about 80 miles with most somewhere between 30-60. What will be new is the bigger water up by Mystic CT, Newport RI and East Hampton NY. Hopefully we won't run into fog in RI but I've been told to prepare for it neverthelsss.

I'm taking a 2nd hand held VHF along with extra oil, gear lube, coolant, trim & steering fluid.

I'm also using a web based float plan tool which seems pretty cool. Floatplanregistry.com

IMG_6825.jpg
Rob
New York
2015 Regal 32 Express. T-Merc 5.7 Seacore
2011 Stingray 215LR. Merc 5.0
Kikaboo

Re: Going on 315 mile 10 day trip

Postby cbsmith » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:02 pm

Does your boat have radar? Probably the most helpful thing you can have when running in fog.
2014 Regal 1900
2010 Sea-Doo GTX 155
2007 Sea-Doo Wake 215
cbsmith

Postby Kikaboo » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:40 pm

cbsmith wrote:Does your boat have radar? Probably the most helpful thing you can have when running in fog.

Yes I have radar however I've never had to use it in a "real" situation. I hear that can be a bit unerving.
I wanted to add AIS but that will have to be a project for next season.
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Postby TechRider » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:34 am

Have a great trip! Looking forward to hear about your trip from the CT river to Newport. I will be planning that trip next year.

I am still getting used to the boat and wanted some more experience before going that far.
2018 Regal 33 Express
TechRider

Postby Batchski » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:53 am

Looks like a great trip Rob! And you seem very prepared. The only other safety item I bring is a Personal Locator Beacon (ACR ResQLink+). I keep it in my "Go Bag" with flares in case we ever had a sudden emergency and had to get off the boat. Of course that would be rare, but it gives me a little peace of mind when off shore where nobody could see us.

I've had to use radar several times here now. With our cold water, we get the marine layer often so I've been stuck in it. I was happy to see it work well, and with a bit of practice, you can navigate comfortably just looking at the screen. It helps to have a spotter as well. Maybe practice running on it for a while and force yourself to not look ahead. I did that and it helps. Once in the fog, I was amazed how quickly I got turned around.

Looking forward to the recap and pictures!
Bruce
2014 Regal 32 Express, Mercruiser 5.7's, Axius Premier
2005 Regal 3060 Window Express, Volvo 5.7's (Sold)
Newport Beach, CA
2001 Supra Sunsport 22' Ski/Wakeboard Boat, Indmar 320HP
Batchski

Postby Kikaboo » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:41 pm

Batchski wrote:Looks like a great trip Rob! And you seem very prepared. The only other safety item I bring is a Personal Locator Beacon (ACR ResQLink+). I keep it in my "Go Bag" with flares in case we ever had a sudden emergency and had to get off the boat. Of course that would be rare, but it gives me a little peace of mind when off shore where nobody could see us.

I've had to use radar several times here now. With our cold water, we get the marine layer often so I've been stuck in it. I was happy to see it work well, and with a bit of practice, you can navigate comfortably just looking at the screen. It helps to have a spotter as well. Maybe practice running on it for a while and force yourself to not look ahead. I did that and it helps. Once in the fog, I was amazed how quickly I got turned around.

Looking forward to the recap and pictures!

Bruce thanks. I do have a PLB. Although not in a go bag but mounted next to me at the helm.
I also typically wear an inflatable life jacket when In bigger / rougher water and keep my Handheld VHF on my belt in case I find myself in the water unexpectedly.

I like the idea using the radar and not looking up... I'll have to give that a try.
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Postby Mischief Managed » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:35 pm

I hope you have a blast. We are presently on a 16 day trip and are having a great time. Our longest leg so far was 150 miles and it included 9 locks. Your trip should be a breeze. Consider a night or two on the hook, it's really fun.
Raymond NH, USA

Mischief Managed
2000 2550 LSC
7.4 MPI Bravo 3
Mischief Managed

Return to Travel