Dreaded XDP drives

General repair/maintenance/upgrade information exchange.

Dreaded XDP drives

Postby briandg57 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:25 pm

I am in the final stages of finding and replacing a fractured composite gimbal ring and ground up gimbal bearing on my 3360. I have read all the horror stories about these drives and it did take 8 weeks to finally get enough used parts to get it back together. Yes the bellows were cut per the usual story and the assumption would be that the water failed the bearing. But what caused the gimbal ring failure? It’s the gimbal ring that concerns me. I have a theory. There was a dent on the large prop and my guess is that somewhere it bumped something. Is the composite ring so weak that dinging the prop can almost split it in two? Has anyone had this failure. Should I switch to composite props to help protect the drive? I know they are not rated for twin 5.7s so I assume they will disintegrate over time. Changing $600 in props every couple of years sure beats $4000 to rebuild the transom shield. I am not interested in Volvo’s defect for profit drive upgrade program. Any thoughts are welcome.
2008 3360
Guntersville yacht club
briandg57

Re: Dreaded XDP drives

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:36 pm

Most of the time you will hit the drive before you hit the prop itself, so it would be a gamble for sure. The problem with the composite props are that if you do lose part of a blade, it will be greatly out of balance which could cause shaft seals to leak potentially.

According to VP those drives can take a direct impact and that will cause the bypass for the trim cylinder to allow the drive to swing up before it "damages" itself. ;) Those were just awful drives and I don't know how there wasn't a class action lawsuit against them for it. I am afraid that it will be harder and harder to get parts for in the future as well. Either way I can't say what is best. At least you only have the 5.7L engines and not the 8.1L that cause the drives pretty much to implode over time. if that makes you feel a bit better. :(
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby briandg57 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:49 pm

Thanks Chris, I forgot about the “bounce back feature” the props were not damaged past a log bump so that wasn’t it. It makes sense to stay with the stainless. There is a class action law suit, I have not done a ton of research but my understanding is that in the first round a judge was satisfied with Volvo’s extendng the warranty by 2 years to the original purchasers and offering “discounted” retrofits to anyone owning the drive. There is an article on a marine site ( can’t remember which one) titled “ Volvo’s big win” that explained where its at so far.
2008 3360
Guntersville yacht club
briandg57

Postby gofast24 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:04 am

briandg57 wrote:Thanks Chris, I forgot about the “bounce back feature” the props were not damaged past a log bump so that wasn’t it. It makes sense to stay with the stainless. There is a class action law suit, I have not done a ton of research but my understanding is that in the first round a judge was satisfied with Volvo’s extendng the warranty by 2 years to the original purchasers and offering “discounted” retrofits to anyone owning the drive. There is an article on a marine site ( can’t remember which one) titled “ Volvo’s big win” that explained where its at so far.

The folks in the class action lawsuit should get their money back from the "class action" lawyer (have to wonder what his fee's were?) ! What good is another 2 years of warranty when it fails again 2 years +1 day more (date of vessel purchase + 2 years)? Shame on VP and Regal for letting VP get away with this 2 year extended warranty that apparently was junk when it was released to the market!
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Return to Repair Shop