Sea Grass Matt Carpet

General repair/maintenance/upgrade information exchange.

Sea Grass Matt Carpet

Postby richH » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:27 pm

I bought a 2015 Regal 2100 and have really liked it so far. However, I have found the Sea Grass light gray carpet troublesome. I am in North Carolina where it is very humid. And about a month in with my new boat, some mold started growing on the seagrass near the engine compartment. I cleaned this with water and some mild cleaner (dish detergent) and it seemed to stain that area a darker color (looks like it is always wet now.)

Last week, I got in the boat and saw a much heavier mold stain at the base of the portside seat. I tried cleaning this water and some mild detergent this time but rinsed it very thoroughly. However it doesn't appear the mold is coming out.

I contacted Regal through email and they recommended Powerwashing. Seems like an odd solution. Anybody else had this problem with the Seagrass? Any good cleaning recommendations?
richH

Re: Sea Grass Matt Carpet

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:59 pm

That is suprising that mold is growing. There has to be something that its eating to grow. The seagrass carpet that I have seen has been all vinyl and that "shouldn't" support the growth as there isn't organic material in that. The only thing I can think of is that there are some food or something in there that its feeding on.

I am not sure the manufacture that Regal uses, but here is one that make it:

https://infinitylwv.com/collections/seagrass

I think that a power washer might be a good alternative to soap. The mold would also indicate that there is moisture in there as well when its "put away" or covered. The only thing that you might try as well is hang it out to dry before you leave for the day. I am not sure your storage solution, but if it could air dry before covers etc are put on that will help alot.
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby richH » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:32 pm

So the part number for this carpet is 201455. It is made by Syntec. I am thinking this may not be the sea grass that Regal sells with its boat but some cheap alternative. Anybody know? It looked new when I bought the boat and now it already looks pretty bad. Just a note. I keep my boat in a lift and generally let it air out a day or so after use before covering. I did this with regular marine carpet on my last boat and never had any issues. Carpet looked almost brand new when I sold my 10 year old boat to buy this one.
richH

Postby richH » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:48 pm

Well, I didn't know what to do, but my girlfriend suggested using Oxyclean. So I used Oxyclean and a powerwasher on the lowest setting. All looks brand new now.
richH

Postby gofast24 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:46 am

richH wrote:Well, I didn't know what to do, but my girlfriend suggested using Oxyclean. So I used Oxyclean and a powerwasher on the lowest setting. All looks brand new now.

Girlfriend had good suggestion! Now, how long will the mold/mildew stay away? Have to believe if this re occurs you might want to try introducing a little bleach in the suction tube on you pressure washer and see what effect that has ! just done use an excessive mount of bleach and flush with a lot of fresh water about 10 minutes after doing it!!
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Return to Repair Shop