Water in oil

General repair/maintenance/upgrade information exchange.

Water in oil

Postby Thump0808 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:46 am

I posted here a few weeks back about my boat taking on water and not starting. Pulled the plugs put new ones while I had them out fired right up! Today I decided to change the oil. Started pumping and yes it had water. So I pumped all out then I pulled the plug and got out another 1/2 quart out. I also blew air through dipstick to help get it all out. My question is should I fill back up run then drain again or am I fine with this one time drain of the oil?? Thanks in advance.

Also I had a mechanic look at my bellows says they look brand new but I was able tighten every hose and bellow. Some screw I probably turned 8 yo 10 xs. I have an appointment on the 9th to replace bellows but in the mean time I’m just hoping I find the issue with the water entering the boat. I plan on Sunday heading out to sit out on the water to see if I see any suspicious water entering.there was only one side of the bellow I couldn’t get to tintighten. Wish me luck thanks!

2012 Regal 2300
5.7 300 hp
Volvo Penta
Thump0808

Re: Water in oil

Postby wjh » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:38 am

The next thing that I would have done after getting the engine started would be to change the oil. My opinion, I would re-fill oil (change filter, as well!) and run it for a short period of time and then change it again. If water was in the crankcase for any period of time, you could have rust that may get washed into the new oil and cause premature wear.
wjh

Postby Thump0808 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:35 pm

Can someone tell me what. dtc 107: map voltage low and how to clear it???? Unplugged the batteries already did not work.
Thump0808

Postby cbsmith » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:37 pm

Run the new oil for 10-15 minutes at a low load and then drain it and see if there is still milkiness in it. If so keep doing the oil changes until the oil comes out clear. Then change the oil filter as well. You can use cheaper generic oil until it is clear and then fill up with oem oil if you want to.
2014 Regal 1900
2010 Sea-Doo GTX 155
2007 Sea-Doo Wake 215
cbsmith

Postby gofast24 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:08 am

if you are the OP that indicated your boat was half sunk and had water in the cylinders, bilge pump wouldn't stay on or running etc. I have to believe that the engine CC had sea water pulled into it? Yes, drain the oil again and then run for a few minutes, re drain the oil and see if any more water in the oil. Probably for this second drain just use some non Synthetic on sale dino oil. If no water, Drain it for the third time and replace with full synthetic 10W-40 . Hopefully it isnt a blown head gasket if you were the OP that submerged your engine and water came out of the spark plug holes? If so, the hydraulic lock would have either blown the head gasket or bent connecting rods. Sorry if I have you mixed up with another poster.
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby Thump0808 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:59 am

No that’s me I changed the oil pumped it and pulled the plug out. It’s in the shop now just getting the bellows gimble bearing and u joint done. After pulling the plugs and putting new plugs and oil the motor runs fine. I have no problems yet. Soon as I get it back I’m gonna warm up the oil pump it out and pull the plug to make sure I get it all out. I believe the motor is fine I ran it with the ears for a good 30 min actually ran better than before. Thanks for responding!
Thump0808

Postby gofast24 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:39 am

Still wonder how water got into both (some of) the cylinders and crankcase/oil sump? When you first saw the half sunk stern how high was the water in relation to the engines intake (throttle body/flame arrestor)? Did you happen take any pictures for insurance purposes?
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby wjh » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:38 am

If water gets into the cylinder, it can also get by the rings into the crankcase. Rings seal under compression. Even while running, "stuff" gets past the rings. That is the reason for a PCV system on an engine.
wjh

Postby Thump0808 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:29 pm

Half the motor was under and it was dark when we were getting back on boat from dinner didn’t notice till we stalled out and went to put buoys away. I did not take pics for insurance was to worried about getting it out of the water. Come to find out the bellows were not leaking gimble bearing u joints dry thank god. Found where the water is coming in from. The previous owner put under water LED lights in rear of the boat and both were leaking! I pulled the put some 5200 3m on them and if they leak again I’m just pull them out and I’m sure I can find some screws rubber gromet type deal to plug the holes! Drained the oil for a second time today still a lil milky so I’m gonna run it tomorrow and drain it again and change the filter. I believe the water shifted high enough when I backed out the slip and maybe when thru intake I’m not sure. Also a mechanic said the crank shaft keeps oil in but not made to keep water out! Not sure if that makes sense. Thanks for all your input guys! Really appreciate it!
Thump0808

Postby gofast24 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:49 am

If you actually tried to start (crank) the engine when the engine room was sinking you most likely either bent a connecting rod or blew a head gasket. If a head gasket, it will continue to leak sea water/coolant into the crankcase. My advice is to get a compression test on all cylinders before doing anything else. That will determine if you either bent a connecting rod or blew a head gasket! If changing oil twice and still milky looking you are getting water into the CC via a blown head gasket. Find out before sinking any more $ into oil changes.

good luck and let us know what you find out!
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:16 pm

Also if water was in the transom then you could have water back in there as well. I would get a moisture meter and see how bad the transom is full of water as well. How far it migrated, the reason there is wood between the fiberglass. My guess is that the person that put in the lights didn't epoxy all the holes all the way through to prevent any leaking into the wood.
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby gofast24 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:07 am

Just a note on a "little" water in the oil. If the leak has been found/fixed and no blown head gaskets/bent connecting rods I would still recommend you get a compression test on all cylinders to preclude the previous possible problems. Also, a few ounces of water in the oil will eventually boil off if you run the engine under load for a few hours but probably just change the oil again just to be sure all water gone! Surprised you didnt find the underwater LED lights were leaking when you purchased the boat? Did you get a survey before you purchased it? Hindsight regarding to paying a couple of hundred dollars for a marine survey regardless what the boat was selling for :)?
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Return to Repair Shop