Black step treads deteriorating

General repair/maintenance/upgrade information exchange.

Black step treads deteriorating

Postby wlcstc » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:36 pm

I own a 2004 Regal 3060 Window Express. Recently I've noted that the black rubber treads on the two steps on the port stern section of the boat that allow you to move from the swim platform to the rear of the cockpit or the port side of the boat to move forward are deteriorating. When they are wet and you step on them you leave a trail of black foot prints on the deck. Regal tells me they no longer stock the treads originally made by Stewart Products Company. Has anyone else faced this problem? If so, what did you use to replace the treads and how did you get the old ones off?

I've attached a photo of the steps to make it clear what I am talking about. Thanks in advance for the help.
Attachments
stern steps.jpg
wlcstc

Re: Black step treads deteriorating

Postby cbsmith » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:56 am

Could you switch them to SeaDek? Should be pretty easy to make templates of those. Or some other brand of faux teak maybe?
2014 Regal 1900
2010 Sea-Doo GTX 155
2007 Sea-Doo Wake 215
cbsmith

Postby Rpontual » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:06 am

cbsmith wrote:Could you switch them to SeaDek? Should be pretty easy to make templates of those. Or some other brand of faux teak maybe?

These are such a small area that I would replace by faux teak. I previously had Flexiteek 2G installed on my 35SC boat, I had the “scrubbed” version. My guests believed it was real teak. If interested you can find photos from an old post, just search for “35SC”
Romulo

2018 Bavaria R40 Coupe, Diesel
2015 Regal 35SC, Diesel - SOLD
Rpontual

Postby gofast24 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:34 am

Agree, just replace them with faux teak. Just make sure you clean off the current plastic/rubber pads with grain alcohol or paint thinner before placing the new teak pads. You may be able to just buy a couple square feet of the teak and cut them yourself? If you check on Amazon there is some 3M self stick pads/roll's of tape you can buy and just cut them to the size you need.
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby wlcstc » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:08 am

Thanks for the great ideas. I'll go look for some of the faux teak. My wife had the same idea and it may lead to doing more of the deck with it as well.
wlcstc

Return to Repair Shop