Vacuflush Smelly Issue

General repair/maintenance/upgrade information exchange.

Vacuflush Smelly Issue

Postby Seven » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:20 pm

I installed a new vent filter on my 2002 3880. It did not come with one. I am 99.9% sure I installed it in on the vent line, it was the only thru hull for the vacuflush system and the line looked to go from the tank to the thruhull. Really hard to follow when it disappears under floor, it was right next to the fridge. It seemed to work fine for the last couple months but this weekend when I turned on the head it stunk up the cabin. I checked every connection I could. The hose connection for the vent on the tank side is unreachable without doing some surgery. The smell seemed to come from around where the filter was installed but its all tight and no leaks that I could see.
Does anyone know if there is a release valve on the tank? I can see something on the other end of the tank that's unreachable. I am thinking the new filter does not have enough flow and I may have blown something out. I called the marina mechanic because I was stump but they are pretty backed up.
I may remove the filter just so its usable until they can take a look.
--2002 3880 Regal Flybridge | Twin Merc 8.1HO| **Seven**
--2003 AB 13 VST Console Inflatable | Tohatsu 40hp TLDI **Phish'n ski**
--310 Mercury Inflatable | 1982 9.9 Johnson
Seven

Re: Vacuflush Smelly Issue

Postby gofast24 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:39 am

In our case, we never had a black water tank vent filter until I installed one 4 years ago. last summer we had stink coming into the cabin but it was from the thru hull vent, not from inside the boat. Turned out to be my son didnt empty the holding tank in time so liquid pushed up the vent line and plugged the activated carbon filter, therefor smell again. I Just cut the 2" ID PVC filter open (about 1" from one end), dumped out the wet/plugged carbon particles and bought 2 pounds of granulated charcoal normally used for fish tank filters and replaced, no more smell ! Note, to reconnect the the cut open filter body just bought a 2" rubber pluming sleeve which has two fully SS hose clamps on it and re connected the two halves . Works great again, dont have to cut the OEM filter open anymore and can easily replace the activated carbon next time it need to be serviced .
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby Seven » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:03 pm

Smell is definitely inside. I am going to use an endoscope to see if I can find a broken hose or something where I can't reach. Marina is back up and probably won't get to it until next week.
Seven

Postby Seven » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:20 pm

Just got a call from marina. I guess they got to it sooner than expected. :D
It was the elbow I installed just before the filter to line it up to the thru hull. I will have to check it out on what they used but I did buy the correct sanitation elbow. I assume they used a tighter fitting one, maybe a ribbed elbow.
Seven

Postby gofast24 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:16 am

Seven wrote:Just got a call from marina. I guess they got to it sooner than expected. :D
It was the elbow I installed just before the filter to line it up to the thru hull. I will have to check it out on what they used but I did buy the correct sanitation elbow. I assume they used a tighter fitting one, maybe a ribbed elbow.

Hard to believe you incorrectly installed a simple elbow? What size elbow did you use and did you use hose clamps when installing it? Dont assume they installed a "tighter fitting" elbow, either what you installed was the correct size or not. You should have been able to determine that when you installed it?
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Return to Repair Shop