Boat took on a lot of water now won’t start

General repair/maintenance/upgrade information exchange.

Re: Boat took on a lot of water now won’t start

Postby Thump0808 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:02 am

Thanks gofast24. Well I have a big stere system in boat the 3 batteries are for the stereo and the one is for the house. There all tied into each but I have a 1-2 and all switch. As far as battery chargers I have a 10 amp marinco with 2 banks connected on one side and a 6 amp 1 bank on other 2 batteries. They are on board chargesmounted inside so every time I get home they stay plugged in if Amps drop they automatically kick back on to charge. All batteries new except house 1.
Bilge floater probably has debri stuck up n it. It’s puzzling cause I had debri stuck in my plug and plug was out as it always is while towing and I stopped or pulled away from light and it pumped water out while I was on the road! Any how I stuck a hanger in plug hole pulled debri out and trapped rain water come gushing out! I’m willing to bet it has debri in floater! I’m just gonna pull out today replace! It works when I push down on the floater switch and when I manually turn on but I’m not taking anymore chances! I’m just hoping I find leak. I’m gonna anchor Friday plan on sitting out there till I see something. Thanks again
Thump0808

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:15 pm

Any wiring that was underwater that has ends on it should be replaced. It will corrode over time and be a gremlin down the road. If it was a solid piece of wire and the ends were above the water level you are fine. Its just were the connectors are at that will allow water into the jacket and start the process of corrosion. Dont forget to look at trim pump if its an internal pump and not in the transom.
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby wjh » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:57 am

Great news! I glad that it all worked out for you.

Bill
wjh

Postby gofast24 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:27 am

Thump0808 wrote:Thanks gofast24. Well I have a big stere system in boat the 3 batteries are for the stereo and the one is for the house. There all tied into each but I have a 1-2 and all switch. As far as battery chargers I have a 10 amp marinco with 2 banks connected on one side and a 6 amp 1 bank on other 2 batteries. They are on board chargesmounted inside so every time I get home they stay plugged in if Amps drop they automatically kick back on to charge. All batteries new except house 1.
Bilge floater probably has debri stuck up n it. It’s puzzling cause I had debri stuck in my plug and plug was out as it always is while towing and I stopped or pulled away from light and it pumped water out while I was on the road! Any how I stuck a hanger in plug hole pulled debri out and trapped rain water come gushing out! I’m willing to bet it has debri in floater! I’m just gonna pull out today replace! It works when I push down on the floater switch and when I manually turn on but I’m not taking anymore chances! I’m just hoping I find leak. I’m gonna anchor Friday plan on sitting out there till I see something. Thanks again

Just wondering, if you took the cover off the bilge pump (If there was a cover?) and pushed down on the float and the pump started why not just clean out the bilge housing/float switch area and keep the now working bilge pump? Guess that as bilge pumps are fairly cheep not too bad of a idea to just replace the whole thing? Other though, if it is a defective float switch just replace the float switch and clean out the inlet screen on the pump housing and be done with it? If the pump runs on manual and when you push down on the float switch the pump works, so only clean out the intake and just replace the float switch? Also, if you really crank the audio system while at sea it will pull down your house batteries fast! We have a group 8D AGM house battery (big guy) and after about two hours playing audio loud this great big battery drops down to 12.4 VDC, that means at least 50% discharged, time to turn of the audio system or start the gen set. i installed a Blue Sea's OLED digital voltmeter at the helm to monitor house battery voltage and never let the house battery get below 12.4 VDC (50% discharged) while off shore power or not on gen set.
good luck!
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby catalina_mike » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:01 am

If it's a mercruiser there is a fusible link on the starter connection main line.
dolce far niente
Sold and sad (2009 4460)
Sea Ray 185 (Lake Arrowhead), Duffy B&B (Booze and Battery)
1999 Albin 28TE
catalina_mike
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby gofast24 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:29 am

You indicate you have 3 batteries for the stereo and one for the house? You should have at least one battery specifically dedicated to the propulsion engine starting battery, not powering anything else other than a direct connection to your bilge pump and your "house" charger should be maintaining that one before any other battery! Maybe you got your battery terminology wrong?
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby tcrote5516 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:52 pm

The first thing I did when I got my boat was to put in a second battery and a second automatic bilge pump. I'm admittedly over-paranoid about taking on water despite never having an issue but this gives me peace of mind. When your entire boat, belongings and people's safety come down to a $70 plastic pump...I want a backup!
1999 Regal 2100 LSR
Mercruiser 4.3
Southern NH

Check out my DIY YouTube Channel @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbqPkeqZrlHPnxgejb-xMQg?view_as=subscriber
tcrote5516

Postby Thump0808 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:58 am

Now that’s not s bad idea. I’ve already bought a new float! Thanks
Thump0808

Postby kellyg » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:39 pm

When installing an extra "emergency" bilge pump, I always place it ~4-5 inches above the bilge floor. This helps eliminate the potential of getting clogged with debris. I also connect it to an alarm and light on dash.
I build a shelf out of starboard and secure to either a bulkhead or stringer.
Gary Kelly
Mount Sinai, NY
2001 Regal 3780
REPOWERED WITH YANMAR 2011
Smooth seas never made a skillful mariner
kellyg

Previous

Return to Repair Shop