Battery mystery ?

General repair/maintenance/upgrade information exchange.

Battery mystery ?

Postby Rocky » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:01 pm

Mystery- I have a 2860 and just 1 battery hooked up at present. I have my Perko battery switch on "off" and all other switches, lights, etc. "off". I have no air or hot water units.
And still , there is a 1/10 amp current being pulled from the battery(multimeter checked).
Any idea what it could be ?? As a last resort I am thinking of installing another "battery off" switch directly off the + battery cable. Thanks for any ideas. Everything on the boat is off and all fuses pulled.
Rocky

Re: Battery mystery ?

Postby Rpontual » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:27 pm

Rocky wrote:Mystery- I have a 2860 and just 1 battery hooked up at present. I have my Perko battery switch on "off" and all other switches, lights, etc. "off". I have no air or hot water units.
And still , there is a 1/10 amp current being pulled from the battery(multimeter checked).
Any idea what it could be ?? As a last resort I am thinking of installing another "battery off" switch directly off the + battery cable. Thanks for any ideas. Everything on the boat is off and all fuses pulled.

Items that might be connected even with the switch in the off mode:
1) AV radio may have a hot wire to save the memory (100mA seems a lot but...)
2) Bilge pump is likely powered

After eliminating those items, disconnect battery charger to verify if it is faulty. If not, disconnect alternator to verify if it is faulty.

If none of these work, start following wires. ;) Another on/off switch is not a good idea...
Romulo

2018 Bavaria R40 Coupe, Diesel
2015 Regal 35SC, Diesel - SOLD
Rpontual

Postby kellyg » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:50 pm

Check CO2 sensors. Unplug and recheck amp draw.
I would certainly not install a 2nd shutoff switch. A parasitic draw can get worse and wind up leaving you with a dead battery at the worse time.
Gary Kelly
Mount Sinai, NY
2001 Regal 3780
REPOWERED WITH YANMAR 2011
Smooth seas never made a skillful mariner
kellyg
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:56 pm

Yes typically there is stereo memory, CO detectors, bilge pumps are on the battery side of the switch, which means you can't turn them off and they are always on. The only way is to physically disconnect them. I would expect a bit more than a tenth of an amp. Some of the bilge pumps that they use in newer boats are electronic in nature and will pull current all the time as well, many older boats use physical float switches and don't pull any current when off.

Also if previous owners have installed anything as well that could have been wired on the battery side of the switch or even directly to the battery, for example a large amp that is wired direct that only has remote turn off which means it has to always draw a small amount of current for the remote turn on lead to work.
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby ZacUSNYR » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:46 am

With my battery switch off, I still have power to my constant at my radio, my bilge (and water switch), and my outdrive trim on my 2665
ZacUSNYR

Postby gofast24 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:07 am

With both of our new Johnson bilge pumps with electronic switches we draw about 30 mA and the head unit amps about the same.Not sure about CO detectors but as we are almost always on shore power or gen at sea never even gave the parasitic's a second thought? i installed a Blue Sea's OLED voltmeter at the helm to monitor house battery (a Group 8D AGM) but that is a different subject. We start the gen at sea when the house battery voltage drops to 12.4 VDC, approximately 50% discharged for a AGM battery.
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Return to Repair Shop