Trim tab really slow

General repair/maintenance/upgrade information exchange.

Trim tab really slow

Postby robing » Sat May 26, 2018 9:40 pm

Finally got my trim tabs working, needed new indicators and was somehow sold on this kit that comes with an indicator that didn't fit in existing holes , and new actuators with wires to helm.
Should have just got the indicator I needed, but whatever.
Problem is s.side is way slower than port.
Anyone have that issue b4?
1998 commodore 242
robing

Re: Trim tab really slow

Postby Texdoc8953 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:00 pm

Could be a leak in that side's system or your pump could be going out. I had same problems and had to replace both this offseason
Kevin
2008 Regal 4060 "Tiny Tot"
2007 Regal 3360 "Balance" (Sold)
Annapolis, MD
Texdoc8953
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Re: Trim tab really slow

Postby Mischief Managed » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:23 pm

If your hydraulic lines are longer on the starboard side, the starboard tab will be slower to move and it's probably normal. I did a trim tab install for a friend with an outboard center console recently and there was no way to mount the trim pump in the center of the boat, so the port tab is much further from the pump that the starboard tab and thus, operates more slowly. It is so slow, as a matter of fact, that we could not calibrate the electronic indicator until the weather was nice and warm because the port tab took more than the 15 seconds allowed for calibration to go up or down in cold weather (when the fluid is really thick). If you want them to operate evenly, you could order extra hydraulic line and make a few loops in the shorter run to even up the length of the line and therefore the speed.
Raymond NH, USA

Mischief Managed
2000 2550 LSC
7.4 MPI Bravo 3
Mischief Managed

Return to Repair Shop