Marine Airrrr Retrofit Panel

General repair/maintenance/upgrade information exchange.

Marine Airrrr Retrofit Panel

Postby Jcraft » Sat May 26, 2018 8:59 am

I’ve had my a/c go out awhile back and am finally getting around to fixing it. After tracking down the issue, turns out a relay on the circuit board had burnt out and wouldn’t allow the compressor to kick on. Passport II circuit boards are a little hard to come by now a days and pricey as well. So we ended up opting for a retrofit kit with a new panel and circuitry from Marinaire. Good looks for the display and good price as well. I’ve mapped out where all the wires for various components go on the new circuit board with the exception of two wires that run to the compressor.

On the old setup, the “C” terminal connects to a black wire that runs back to the line side “L1” on the circuit board. The “R” terminal connects to a white wire that runs to the capacitor and then to the neutral terminal “L2/N” on the circuit board. The new diagram has me hooking these up opposite, essentially connecting the white wire to the line side and the black wire to the neutral side. I’m not an electrician, but this seems like a bad idea to me.

The old setup looks like it could have been hooked up with 120v or 240v but is hooked up as 120v. New board is strictly 120v so it should still work just the same. The question is, should I hook the wires up as the new diagram shows and essentially reverse the polarity on them or use common sense and hook them up how they originally were with black going to the line side and white going to neutral? Obviously I don’t want to fry my compressor or damage any of the components. I’m not 100% sure how the flow of electricity goes through the capacitor and compressor and makes it all work, so I just want to check before making a costly mistake.

Having trouble getting appropriate size pictures of the diagrams loaded so I will figure that out and submit them as a comment.
1998 Regal Commodore 322
Twin 5.7 VP’s with outdrives
Jcraft

Re: Marine Airrrr Retrofit Panel

Postby gofast24 » Sat May 26, 2018 10:41 am

My thoughts= Call Marinaire and ask them about the wiring confusion. As you purchased it from them and they are the experts that is your most logical choice? Yes, usually white wire is neutral and black hot but the capacitor should be wired seperately and/or in parallel with the hot (feed) wire and compressor. Post the wiring diagram you got with the new controller. I bought a control unit from these guys, give them a shout = CIRCUIT BOARD PASSPORT II MARINE AIR
SYSTEMS #332617 FOR VCP,VRP,CMP -

Wright Marine Air Conditioning, Inc.
10736 Navigation Drive
Riverview FL. 33579
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby Jcraft » Sun May 27, 2018 12:27 pm

This is the original schematic of how the a/c panel wiring is connected.
127E6622-CF04-424F-AF27-8F05D9572D98.jpeg
1998 Regal Commodore 322
Jcraft

Postby Jcraft » Sun May 27, 2018 12:36 pm

This is the new wiring schematic. I couldn’t get the whole thing to load after multiple attempts, but this is the section in question anyhow. The written wire colors are from me which is what wires should connect where accoriding to the diagram.

D57CA1B3-C491-4D59-91F7-726E7ED6F78C.jpeg
D57CA1B3-C491-4D59-91F7-726E7ED6F78C.jpeg (27.83 KiB) Viewed 120 times
1998 Regal Commodore 322
Jcraft

Return to Repair Shop