Deck Refigerator on 2860 Regal Commodore , MY IDEA - Replace

General repair/maintenance/upgrade information exchange.

Deck Refigerator on 2860 Regal Commodore , MY IDEA - Replace

Postby Alan B » Fri May 25, 2018 6:38 am

Reading the post about exposed screws prompted my post .
I have a 2003 Regal Commodore 2860 .
Twin 4.3 Volvo penta
Along side port engine tucked under floor is Kohler 5 E generator .
Impossible too preform any generator work .
Recent new long blocks ,
While engines removed preformed service on generator . Started , ran short while , everything seemed OK
Generator is seldom used . Started often , too keep parts moving , occasional coffee while at sea . Use marina dock side all the time .
Water pump would loose pressure and pump few moments . Could never find a leak . My thoughts no water accumulator which is why pump pumps often when water in NOT TURNED ON. ?
Regal has two refrigerators , cabin and under deck sink . Weeks ago deck refigerator stopped working . Always tought it was a waist , not keeping cold ,
I keep a cooler on swim platform holding beverages, cooler doubles as my fishing seat on swim platform in calm waters. Refrigerator held back up cans .
Removed deck refrigerator . A pile of rust
Discovered a drip / drip water leak coming from faucet dropping onto refrigerator, Never viewable
Found why circulating pump would loose pressure .
Here's were it gets interesting under refigerator was ply wood UN GLASSED sub floor , covered by a sheet of white vinyl , That entire area was rotted falling apart too the touch . Not a large area , just the base of refrigerator , Area next too this wood was never covered . Could never view and never knew cavity was open
Got the saw zall , cutting out rotted wood . WHY DID REGAL NOT GLASS THIS IN ?
Guess it was good find, Once I cut out rotted floor I had access too generator . Can now work on it easily
Wood ended in that area and was not used further for the boats structure , only used as a dummy floor for refrigerator support . CRAP DESIGN
Decided not too replace with another useless refrigerator .
Plan is too find one on Ebay or have Boat Outfitters, make a custom 3 draw white deck cabinet . 6 screws comes out for generator access
Same dollars as refrigerator
2860 deck floor plan stinks , Pretty but limited . Only storage is under drivers seat . Really need more storage space on deck
That big rap around seat base if designed properly would have been great storage .

Have you HUGGED YOUR BOAT TODAY?
Alan B

Re: Deck Refigerator on 2860 Regal Commodore , MY IDEA - Rep

Postby gofast24 » Sat May 26, 2018 11:06 am

As soon as you heard the fresh(potable) water pump run with no faucets/ice maker/etc. on you should have shut off pump DC circuit breaker and determined the cause? How long (days/weeks/months) have you heard the pump running intermittantly? Also, always turn off the fresh water pump when not on/at the vessel.
Sorry to hear about the major problem that the leak caused. Regarding the layout of your 2860 only thought is we love the layout of our 4160, getting old but great! Lots of repair/replace/maintenance done but if you keep up with that stuff the hull will last forever, it's all the little stuff inside that is a PITA :)
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby robing » Sat May 26, 2018 9:48 pm

Good job on gaining access. My boat has a ridiculous layout as well. Drivers all alone with no-one to port and everyone behind and lower.
1998 commodore 242
robing

Postby tombeattie » Sun May 27, 2018 4:44 am

Hi Alan,

If you cut out an access hole in the wood panel on the left wall inside that cabinet area, in addition to the floor, it gives you even better access to that generator. Thats's what I did on mine. I never had the cockpit fridge option on my boat, only a cabinet where I cut generator access holes in the floor and left wall. Glad I have that extra storage space too.

Tom
2001 Regal 2760 -T/4.3 Merc Bravo 3
tombeattie

Postby gofast24 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:21 am

robing wrote:Good job on gaining access. My boat has a ridiculous layout as well. Drivers all alone with no-one to port and everyone behind and lower.

Not sure what your mean = Drivers all alone with no-one to port and everyone behind and lower.? Just curious, what does the location of passengers have to do with a potable water system leak?

Thanks
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Return to Repair Shop