Dangerous screws

General repair/maintenance/upgrade information exchange.

Dangerous screws

Postby ImRich » Thu May 17, 2018 7:30 am

I should have taken pictures, but I didn't plan on this.

I decided to run new shift and throttle cables on my 2005 3560 this year.

The cables run next to the helm and behind the cabinet under the sink that is behind the helm seat.

To get to this area I had to remove the cockpit ice maker/refrigerator, and the cabinet walls that were forward of the ice maker/refrigerator. This exposes the shirt cables as well as the wire harness that runs to the engines and firewall.

As I'm running the cables I cought my hand on a the threaded end of a protruding screw that was coming up through the fiberglass deck, right where the wiring harness was laying on the deck.

Searching the length of the wiring harness, I found 5 or 6 of these sharp screws! They protrude a good inch or more. I think they come up from the ceiling area on the starboard side of the mid berth somehow.

They would be a safety hazzard, as over time I could imagine how these could chafe into the electrical wiring harness that is laying in this area. Time and motion could add up to a danger here, hopefully all fuses and circuit breakers would prevent a catastrophic failure from a short circuit.

I didn't notice any cable ties keeping the harness held away from the deck and/or the screws. If there were any in the past, they must have been removed over the years from prior work done in this area. It's a tight area to access, so I could imagine this happening. I may revisit the area looking for clues of missing cable ties to hold the harness up away from the deck.

I ended up grinding off the protruding screw ends and sealing the area with some caulk to be sure no water could leak down to the mid berth if any found it's way here (the area looks very dry, I doubt it could happen).

You can inspect this area by opening or removing the small "glove box" that is next to your feet on the starboard side at the helm. Remove it and then look behind and under the cable harness that runs there. Check the length of the harness, as the screws we're about 4 to 6 inches apart.
Last edited by ImRich on Fri May 18, 2018 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rich
2005 - 3560
Unbelievable!
NH
ImRich

Re: Dangerous screws

Postby gofast24 » Thu May 17, 2018 9:08 am

Interesting. Maybe next time use a bore scope (I just bought one on Amazon for $49) or a LED lighted mirror to look into where you are putting your hands? Ya, lots of ss screws projecting thru fiberglass anywhere all over our 4160:(. Not sure if you should have had to grind them down and seal them now that you know that they are there? Bottom line, did replacing your shift and throttle cables correct anything. Kind of a big job if you didnt have any problems with the original ones.
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Re: Dangerous screws

Postby ImRich » Fri May 18, 2018 6:37 am

My thoughts are that the screws are dangerous/hazardous to the cable harness, not my hands!

My hands simply helped me to notice the screws as they were dangerously hidden under the bundle of cables.

The shifters started getting difficult to move, so the new cables were installed to make them easier to shift in and out of gear.
Rich
2005 - 3560
Unbelievable!
NH
ImRich

Return to Repair Shop