2700 Water System - GAS IN THE WATER TANK!

General repair/maintenance/upgrade information exchange.

2700 Water System - GAS IN THE WATER TANK!

Postby Mike2150 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:18 pm

Like an idiot I placed a few gallons of fuel in the water tank before realizing I had the nozzle in the wrong port. OUCH! Got it flushed with vinegar and some Dawn dish soap.

Left the Water pump and sink running for a while about it and ran the tank all the way down. Filled it back up. Now the pump is on, but I am not getting any water pressure. How do you prime this system??
Mike2150

Re: 2700 Water System - GAS IN THE WATER TANK!

Postby cbsmith » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:06 pm

The water system should be self priming I believe.

The issue could be the gas melted and destroyed the o-rings and seals in the system and pump, especially if the water tank was empty when the fuel was added. Gas can quickly destroy some types of materials making up gaskets and seals.
2014 Regal 1900
2010 Sea-Doo GTX 155
2007 Sea-Doo Wake 215
cbsmith

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:55 pm

Yes the pump is self priming, but sometimes can take a bit. However as CB stated it could have been damaged with the fuel. The main issue I think you will find is you will always have fuel smell in the tank, as the plastic tank will absorb the fuel, not sure if you could get rid of it completely. Also the fuel will stay at the top of the tank as its lighter than water. You might need to replace the tank to completely rid of the smell I hate to say. For sure the pump and water lines will need to be replaced. You might be able to salvage the tank for potty etc, but I wouldn't use it for washing anymore.

You can try bleach or simple green, but again the bleach will eat the lines and pump as well if too concentrated.
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby ImRich » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:12 am

My thought is that it's too late now, but if you had caught this before you ran the tank empty, then you could have replaced only the water tank and the fill pipe to permanently remove the fuel smell. Since gas floats on top of water, it would not have gotten into the boats plumbing. But now that the "bad" water has been run through the system, about every component will probably have been affected.

Now you may need to replace every fresh water line, fawcet, fitting or component in the boat to get rid of the fuel odor. You may also need to replace the hot water heater.

I wish you the best of luck, I don't think anything will remove the fuel odor.
Rich
2005 - 3560
Unbelievable!
NH
ImRich

Postby gofast24 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:01 pm

Unfortunately, I agree with Rich and Chris. Not to many other choices if you really want to totally get rid of the fuel smell and any potential furture dammage to your faucets, water pumps, water line, and hot water heater. Expensive mistake?
Good luck.
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby Muddy Blues » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:54 pm

Here is an article on removing gasoline orders: https://www.odorklenz.com/remove-gas-smell/

Hope this helps.
2007 Regal 2700, 8.1 VP DP
Lake Geneva, WI
Muddy Blues

Postby gofast24 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:33 am

Muddy Blues wrote:Here is an article on removing gasoline orders: https://www.odorklenz.com/remove-gas-smell/

Hope this helps.

After reading the article looks like it is for removing gas vapors/smell/spills from clothing or in the air? I was thinking about suggesting using a gallon or so of rubbing alcohol but it is also poisoness ? Also possible to just buy a couple quarts of ever clear (180 proof straight grain alcohol), at least it wouldn't be poison ? Still have to agree with the previous posts regarding a solution , i.e. removing tank, pump, all water lines, all fixtures, and most likely hot water heater:(
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby Kikaboo » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:36 pm

Sorry about this issue...sounds like a real headache to clean up. Curious as to how it happened. Does the 2700 have the water and gas fills both in the aft area of the 2700 but on opposite sides? I have heard in the past of other putting water in the gas tank but I think it's more rare to end up with gas in the water tank...

If it were me, I'd probably end up replacing the tank and all the associated lines etc. I'd be super annoyed but things happen and I'll bet that's the sort of mistake that will never happen again.

Rob
Rob
New York
2015 Regal 32 Express. T-Merc 5.7 Seacore (Cloud Nine)
2018 Achilles LSI-290E (Cloud One)
2011 Stingray 215LR. Merc 5.0
Facebook group page: Cloud Nine NY
Kikaboo

Postby Rpontual » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:14 pm

I am wondering if the lines and devices could be saved. For example, if OP would disconnect the fresh water pump and connect the line to a hose. Then the hose could be left running for awhile to clean up all the lines.

If the line clean up works, all left to be addressed is the tank, line from tank to fresh water pump and fuel pump.
Last edited by Rpontual on Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Romulo

2018 Bavaria R40 Coupe, Diesel
2015 Regal 35SC, Diesel - SOLD
Rpontual

Postby SGilbert » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:59 pm

Just my opinion here, but who actually drinks water from their boat's tank?
Wash hands & dishes, flush head if it works that way, and even shower, but I'd never drink it!

Replace pump, deodorize with something ( I would use non foaming detergent like tide), rinse as well as possible, and be done with it.
Steve
"L'Chiam"
'00 Regal 2660 (2765) T/Merc 4.3's
SGilbert
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby gofast24 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:55 am

Rpontual wrote:I am wondering if the lines and devices could be saved. For example, if OP would disconnect the fuel pump and connect the line to a hose. Then the hose could be left running for awhile to clean up all the lines.

If the line clean up works, all left to be addressed is the tank, line from tank to fuel pump and fuel pump.

I might be missing something here but dont you mean potable fresh water pump? Not sure what the fuel pump has to do with fuel in the water tank? Probably worth a try to pull the discharge hose off the fresh water pump outlet and completely pump out the water tank but it needs to be pumped out into a separate 5 or 10 gallon tank, then disposed of properly, not pumped over board? After pumping out, try some liquid Tide, simple green, whatevr and fill and pump out a couple more times? Cant hurt anything to try something like this.
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby Muddy Blues » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:13 pm

SGilbert wrote:Just my opinion here, but who actually drinks water from their boat's tank?
Wash hands & dishes, flush head if it works that way, and even shower, but I'd never drink it!

Replace pump, deodorize with something ( I would use non foaming detergent like tide), rinse as well as possible, and be done with it.

+1.

Just flushing on my boat (we have a sink, but we rarely use its we have a transom shower, but the lake water is cleaner than onboard water).
2007 Regal 2700, 8.1 VP DP
Lake Geneva, WI
Muddy Blues

Postby Rpontual » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:16 pm

gofast24 wrote:
Rpontual wrote:I am wondering if the lines and devices could be saved. For example, if OP would disconnect the fuel pump and connect the line to a hose. Then the hose could be left running for awhile to clean up all the lines.

If the line clean up works, all left to be addressed is the tank, line from tank to fuel pump and fuel pump.

I might be missing something here but dont you mean potable fresh water pump? Not sure what the fuel pump has to do with fuel in the water tank? Probably worth a try to pull the discharge hose off the fresh water pump outlet and completely pump out the water tank but it needs to be pumped out into a separate 5 or 10 gallon tank, then disposed of properly, not pumped over board? After pumping out, try some liquid Tide, simple green, whatevr and fill and pump out a couple more times? Cant hurt anything to try something like this.

GoFast24 thank you for pointing out the my mix. I corrected the original post, yes my suggestion was related to fresh water pump.
Romulo

2018 Bavaria R40 Coupe, Diesel
2015 Regal 35SC, Diesel - SOLD
Rpontual

Postby gofast24 » Thu May 10, 2018 9:49 am

So, as usual for me, more thoughts about what should have been done when first discovering fuel was pumped into the fresh water tank = As fuel/oil floats on top of water I would have used a oil change suction pump or tank and dropped a hose just a inch or so below the "liquid" level into the tank and "sucked" until you see just "water coming out. Then repeat it a couple of more times to try to "skim" off all the gasoline? Doing that would have least only left a tiny bit of fuel in the tank and then do all the other flush/treatment mentioned previously in this thread. Sorry so late with the advice but it was too late anyway when the OP originally posted his problem.
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Return to Repair Shop