High Moisture Reading

General repair/maintenance/upgrade information exchange.

High Moisture Reading

Postby venture93 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:08 pm

Hello All

I am looking at buying a 2008 Windows Express 2860. (under 200 hours on engines)...
Had the surveyor check it out...it came back with High Moisture Reading on the Hull at the Water Mark consistent across....called Regal and their Customer Service sent me a Bulletin # IB09-1...

it says...." be advised that Regal marine industries began utilizing sprayed in (the open hull mold under the exterior Gel coat layer) epoxy layer of coating material extending from approx. 6 inches above the waterline all the way around and under the boat.

I guess that is their explination of the high moisture reading..

has anyone else ran across this issue before...any opinions would be appreciated...

thanks.
venture93

Re: High Moisture Reading

Postby gofast24 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:26 am

Suggest you call Regal Product support and ask them directly. Make sure you have your hull number when calling!
Let us know what you are advised.
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby catalina_mike » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:28 am

Here is a good article about meters and results.
http://www.pcmarinesurveys.com/Moisture ... hology.htm

The bottom line is they use a higher density product at the water line to protect the integrity of the hull in that area.
dolce far niente
Sold and sad (2009 4460)
Sea Ray 185 (Lake Arrowhead), Duffy B&B (Booze and Battery)
1999 Albin 28TE
catalina_mike
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby gofast24 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:48 am

catalina_mike wrote:Here is a good article about meters and results.

The bottom line is they use a higher density product at the water line to protect the integrity of the hull in that area.

Really great and highly technical article! I understand what the author is saying but still have no idea of what a good marine surveyors / readings comments would mean if buying a used boat? I do know that Regal has a lifetime hull warranty (but only for the original owner) so that may provide some confidence in the quality of a Regal hull? Our 2001 has been in our lake for 17 years since new and time to pull out, pressure wash the bottom and possibly new bottom paint. Will see when it comes out to dry dock?
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby ImRich » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:49 pm

Wow, this guy has a few not so good opinions about Regal boats and their building practices:

http://www.pcmarinesurveys.com/Gasoline ... safety.htm
Rich
2005 - 3560
Unbelievable!
NH
ImRich

Postby gofast24 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:26 am

ImRich wrote:

Wow, this guy has a few not so good opinions about Regal boats and their building practices:

http://www.pcmarinesurveys.com/Gasoline ... safety.htm

Agree with some of his statements but = Our 4160 has dual centrifugal blowers (not inline "fans"), both inlets are below the propulsion engines and the two outlets are on the port and stbd side of the vessel (under the "gull Wings"). On our gen set circuit a relay automatically energizes both D.C. engine room blowers continuously whenever the gen set it started and running. What I do agree with is any canvas totally covering over the engine room vents (intake or exhaust, same problem, and intake flex ducts stuck to the bilge floor!
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby ImRich » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:21 am

My 3560 seems about the same as your 4160.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if the fresh air intake is all on one side of the boat, and the exhaust is on the other side of the boat. I'll try to take a look at this in the spring when the winter shrink wrap comes off.
Rich
2005 - 3560
Unbelievable!
NH
ImRich

Postby gofast24 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:41 am

ImRich wrote:My 3560 seems about the same as your 4160.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if the fresh air intake is all on one side of the boat, and the exhaust is on the other side of the boat. I'll try to take a look at this in the spring when the winter shrink wrap comes off.

Thanks for reply!
Sorry you have to pull out and shrink wrap for your winter months:( As we moved to GA in 1986 (From MKE) and our lake doesn't freeze the 4160 has been in the wet for 17 years. Only thing we did is install a 2 kW automatic engine room heater running off of shore power (it is set to turn on at 38 F) and set our aft A/C unit to the heat pump mode to 50 F just to keep the chill and humidity out of the cabin area (and help keep the cabin hot/cold water piping from freezing. Guess I am getting off track again:).
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby Regal3260 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:25 pm

While I didn't use Wallace when I surveyed my boat before purchase (didn't know of him) his name is usually the first one I hear now
when speaking to people in our area when they are getting their boat surveyed, from small to large. It seems he's very thorough and
well respected in the GTA area and the golden horseshoe area.

Cheers,
Mark
Regal 3260
Toronto, ON
Regal3260
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Return to Repair Shop