Holding (Black) water Tank Vent Filter

General repair/maintenance/upgrade information exchange.

Holding (Black) water Tank Vent Filter

Postby gofast24 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:59 pm

Any suggestions on a activated carbon vent line filter that can be recharged by just unscrewing one end cap, empty out the old carbon and re filling with new activated carbon granuals. My middle son say I should use activated carbon in bulk (cheep) that you can get for fish tanks but need to have a filter housing that has a removable cap to achieve this? Cant find anything on Amazon so maybe one of you folks have a lead for this type of vent filter?
Thanks
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Re: Holding (Black) water Tank Vent Filter

Postby ImRich » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:22 pm

I cut my current filter in half, and then used a rubber plumbing coupler to hold it back together. This let's me change the activated carbon inside it easily for about $12 using the fish tank carbon from a local WalMart.

Use a coupler like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Fernco-P1056-150 ... er+coupler

I forget the exact size, just measure your current filter.

The old carbon is easy to throw out. There are some foam filters in each end, if they ever were flooded because you over filled your tank, you may need to wash them out and let them dry before reassembling.

It's easy and cheap to do. It can be a bit messy to get it to fill, but it's not too hard.

Alternatively, you could build a new one from parts, visit your local plumbing supply and get some PVC and glue it together, but include a threaded end to allow the activated carbon to be easily replaced.

Once you do this, you will be questioning why they charge us $100.00 for about $10 worth of parts. ;)
Rich
2005 - 3560
Unbelievable!
NH
ImRich

Postby gofast24 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:02 am

Thanks Rich! Great idea to use the rubber plumbing coupling, I actually have a extra at home! I think our filter is a 2" O.D. but if a 1.5" just as easy to do. Regarding the activated charcoal I found Marineland Black Diamond Media Premium Activated Carbon 40 ozs. for $9.74 on Amazon. It is used as a fish tank water filter but should work just as well in this holding tank application?
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:11 am

Gofast that will work just fine. I rebuilt mine a number of times. Just remember when you cut it to make sure you do in a spot that it will fit secure with the coupler, so you might have to move the coupler from side to side.
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby gofast24 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:04 am

Thanks Chris and Rich!
My thoughts are to cut the current filter PVC main housing about a inch below the lip of one of the end caps so when filling the tube with new activated carbon we can get 90% of the carbon in while holding the filter with the cut open end up ( the rubber coupling hose will already be clamped onto the long section of the filter housing) ? Ya, the stink every time we flush the vacu flush toilets is annoying to our dock mates:(.
Will let you guys know how this all comes out :)

Thanks
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:53 am

With the rubber coupler on you can actually fill it back to 100% as well. you just fill the rubber up all the way and then as you are putting it together shake it back and forth and it will allow the charcoal to fill the PVC side and come out of the coupler to push back together.
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas

Postby ImRich » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:07 am

In my case, I placed the rubber coupler in the middle of the old PVC tube. The main reason was to allow it to fit into the original mounting bracket. Placing the coupler in the middle allowed me to continue to use the mounting bracket without having any problems, nor having to try to re-rig some sort of alternative mounting solution.

Offsetting it to one end would perhaps allow for an easier fill, but I don't really have a problem with filling. I just fill both halves, holding each vertical, and then tip them together over a empty trash can, a few granules of the charcoal leaks out, but not very much at all to speak off.
Rich
2005 - 3560
Unbelievable!
NH
ImRich

Postby ImRich » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:12 am

Here's a video showing how to glue on a threaded coupler, but I just use the slip on rubber coupler as previously mentioned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EJ3maovCbs
Rich
2005 - 3560
Unbelievable!
NH
ImRich

Postby gofast24 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:43 am

ImRich wrote:Here's a video showing how to glue on a threaded coupler, but I just use the slip on rubber coupler as previously mentioned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EJ3maovCbs

Thanks! I agree, I am just going to use the slip over rubber 2" ID (2 3/8" OD ) rubber coupling I already have one of. Will pull the current filter and cut it about 3/4" from the boss on one end of the housing so I can fill the tube with rubber coupling in place full and then slip the small 3/4" cut off end into the coupling with as much of the carbon in it up to about 1/2" from the end of the rubber coupling. I also have some open cell 1/2" thick foam that I have used to line speaker cabinets over the years to use in both ends of the tube, I think that is better to put in a 2" dia. open cell (breathable) foam piece into the 2" ID tubing rather than a small 1/2" dia. piece into the inlet/outlet ends of the filter assy. as shown in the video? The 2" dia. will be a lot less restrictive than the 1/2" dia. piece. Also, our current filter has bib mounted 1.5" OD nipples at the inlet and outlets so the 1/2" foam wouldn't work anyway.

Again, thanks guys for all you advice!
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby ImRich » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:29 am

I simply reused the original foam that was in the filter.

There was a metal screen as well as a foam filter to keep the charcoal from falling out of the ends. It's easy to see it after you cut it open.
Rich
2005 - 3560
Unbelievable!
NH
ImRich

Postby gofast24 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:22 am

ImRich wrote:I simply reused the original foam that was in the filter.

There was a metal screen as well as a foam filter to keep the charcoal from falling out of the ends. It's easy to see it after you cut it open.

Thanks Rich!
When I get the old filter off the boat and home and cut it as previously mentioned I will check for screening in the ends of the housing. If so, I can either leave them in or put new ones in along with the open cell foam pieces I have already cut to 2" dia.
You guys are great, thanks so much for fast responses and the help of "experience" you have doing this exact same thing :)
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby Regal3260 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:10 pm

I highly recommend this produce from Big Orange. https://bigorangefilter.com/
They now make one with 1.5" opening for OEM from Regal and other boat manufactures.
You purchase the refillable filter once and change out the carbon yearly. Works out cheaper than buying a whole new disposable filter each year.

I purchased it at the Toronto Boat show cheaper.

Cheers,

Mark
Regal 3260
Toronto, ON
Regal3260

Postby ImRich » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:39 am

It's nice to see a company finally selling a refillable filter, but $200 CAD for about $20 of parts? Wow.

It's so easy to cut an original open and use the rubber coupler that I should package the coupler, some charcoal, and a hacksaw together and sell it with instructions for $100! I'd be saving you a lot of money!

If anyone wants to buy a refill kit, just ask, I'll be happy to sell these to you!
Rich
2005 - 3560
Unbelievable!
NH
ImRich

Postby gofast24 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:18 am

ImRich wrote:It's nice to see a company finally selling a refillable filter, but $200 CAD for about $20 of parts? Wow.

It's so easy to cut an original open and use the rubber coupler that I should package the coupler, some charcoal, and a hacksaw together and sell it with instructions for $100! I'd be saving you a lot of money!

If anyone wants to buy a refill kit, just ask, I'll be happy to sell these to you!

I got the existing filter this AM, took it home, and cut it 1" from the inlet end of the housing end cap on my band saw. My son was correct, he removed it yesterday PM. The filter was fully wet with "stuff" and when I cut it open it was so wet I had to vacuum off my band saw from the "stinking Water" and about a cup of wet granules. Both ends have a glued in open cell foam filter (not just pressed in so I cant use my home made open cell foam filters) so I washed it out with water, blew it out with a air hose, sucked it out with my shop vac and will wait until tomorrow AM to recharge it with the 40 ozs. "fish tank" activated carbon" granules I will hopefully receive today from Amazon for $10.33. Will let you guys know how this all works out. If it works, the net effect is that it will cost me $10.33, the labor is free (two sons do all the heavy work :)

Thanks again for all your learned responses!
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby gofast24 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:45 am

gofast24 wrote:Any suggestions on a activated carbon vent line filter that can be recharged by just unscrewing one end cap, empty out the old carbon and re filling with new activated carbon granuals. My middle son say I should use activated carbon in bulk (cheep) that you can get for fish tanks but need to have a filter housing that has a removable cap to achieve this? Cant find anything on Amazon so maybe one of you folks have a lead for this type of vent filter?
Thanks

Update = Received the "fish tank" granulated carbon. It is very fine and full of carbon dust and after putting it in it is too restrictive to "vent" low pressure air flow. I am returning it and buying some activated carbon pellets which will be much less restrictive to air flow. Didnt think about this when ordering the "granulated" fish tank stuff but after cutting the filter housing open (just standard 2" ID PVC pipe) the contents were of the "pellet" variety so much less flow restriction and as the filter mainly works hard when flushing the toilets should last for a year or two. The 40 ozs. of the original granulated carbon was enough to refill the housing at least 3 times, so a lot less expensive to just cut the filter open, dump out the original contents, refill with new carbon pellets, total cost of the repair/replacement about $3.00 (as the 40 ozs. will refill the canister about 3 times! The 2" ID rubber plumbing hose coupling I already had but buying one new would be about $5.
Again, thanks for all the advice!
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby ImRich » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:25 am

My original carbon was very flake like. I don't know if pellets would be better or worse as I believe you want the stink air to be in very close contact of the carbon, not easily flow through air gaps around it.

I've had both types when replacing it, so I'm not sure which is best for odor removal, but i tried to replace the carbon with a similar type as originally used by the filter oem.
Rich
2005 - 3560
Unbelievable!
NH
ImRich

Postby gofast24 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:08 am

Thanks Rich!
I received the new activated "carbon "pellet" sized stuff ( laboratory grade!) , as usual "Amazon is taking back the "fine granular" stuff, full credit and UPS will pick up the box on my front porch, no charge, no labels to print out and affix to the box:) The granular stuff was too restrictive (hard to blow air through it) and full of dust. . The new carbon is about the size of rabbit food, if you can picture that (about 1/8" dia. and 1/4" long) ?. That is exactly what size the carbon was in the "Air Force" OEM filter. I think it will work out fine. Total cost only about $10 US and 30 minutes or so to cut the old filter open, rinse out all the old carbon, refill with new pellets (lab grade if that means anything) and will re fit the filter Saturday AM>

Again, thank you guys for all you learned responses!

PS: There is enough of the pellet size carbon left to change it out at least 2 more times.
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Return to Repair Shop