Throttle - tension and range of movement

General repair/maintenance/upgrade information exchange.

Throttle - tension and range of movement

Postby TomKatn » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:29 am

I recently acquired a 2003 Regal 3260 Commodore. Twin 6.2 gas engines with V drives. The tension to move the throttles is very different on both engines. In addition the range of one of the throttles (when in full acceleration) caps out at less than 4,000 rpms while the other throttle still has at least 1.5 inches of forward motion and additional acceleration to go. Can the tension and range on the throttles be adjusted ? Is this an owner or mechanic fix ? What is the approximate high end rpm for these engines at full throttle ? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
TomKatn

Re: Throttle - tension and range of movement

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:39 pm

Sounds like you might need new cables. They can stretch out, however they can be adjusted at the engine end. There should be sticker on the motor showing the WOT RPM range. You need to be able to hit that range with the boat loaded normally. Otherwise you are bogging the engines down. The boat will be sensitive to crud on the bottom so if the bottom is dirty that could easily explain not reaching WOT.
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby gofast24 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:22 pm

O n o ur vessel with teleflex mechanical throttles and gear selectors there is both a min/max adjustment at the control and a adjustment for throttle friction (to keep t h e throttle where it is while under way). What i suggest is to put both throttle controls at the helm into full throttle position and then go into the engine room , remove the flame arrestor and look into the throttle body to see if both throttle plates are fully open. If not, you
need to make adjustments to either the control lever travel or the cable adjustment at the throttle body.
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby gofast24 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:36 am

Chris_in_Texas wrote:Sounds like you might need new cables. They can stretch out, however they can be adjusted at the engine end. There should be sticker on the motor showing the WOT RPM range. You need to be able to hit that range with the boat loaded normally. Otherwise you are bogging the engines down. The boat will be sensitive to crud on the bottom so if the bottom is dirty that could easily explain not reaching WOT.

I dont think the cable stretched 1.5" but most likely the helm control lever travel , not likely to be the cable ? Also the OP indicated that the throttle control that had 1.5" of additional travel was at WOT or not ? Need to know if increasing the throttle lever that 1.5" actually increased the engine RPM or not? I still suggest that the OP push both throttle levers all the way to full, remove the flame Arrestors on the throttle body's, and look into the TB to see if both throttle plates are fully open, and then advise.
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby TomKatn » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:04 pm

Thanks for the input. Had a mechanic look it over. He found the following:

- cable had been replaced by one 3 feet longer than spec. Routing the extra 3 feet was contributing to the stiffness in the handle. Re-routed (not replaced) and its better.

- adjusted the throttle movement on the motor adding a bit more forward throttle on the handle.

- found out the motor had gone into guardian mode suppressing power to the motor causing the difference in RPM's while throttled up. Cause - unconnected pressure hoses which occurred when the impellor was replaced.
TomKatn

Postby gofast24 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:12 pm

TomKatn wrote:Thanks for the input. Had a mechanic look it over. He found the following:

- cable had been replaced by one 3 feet longer than spec. Routing the extra 3 feet was contributing to the stiffness in the handle. Re-routed (not replaced) and its better.

- adjusted the throttle movement on the motor adding a bit more forward throttle on the handle.

- found out the motor had gone into guardian mode suppressing power to the motor causing the difference in RPM's while throttled up. Cause - unconnected pressure hoses which occurred when the impellor was replaced.

Thanks for the response! Do you mean "unconnected" sea water pump discharge hose or just loose/leaking? Who replaced the impeller and left the outlet hose loose or disconnected? I cant believe the hose was totally disconnected, if so I dont think the engine would have just gone into the limp home mode but would have shut down and/or given you a loud over temp alarm at the helm depending on the configuration settings of your ECU?
What did the mechanic say about the extra 1.5" of travel you indicated on one of the throttle levers?
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby TomKatn » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:57 am

gofast24

I was told there were two items left disconnected on the engine by the mechanic who replaced the impellor. A hose (tube) that senses water pressure from the outside (fresh water in my case) and a wire that connects to a high pressure fuel sensor. Both were left disconnected which caused the alarm. The code indicated overheating due to water flow.
TomKatn

Postby gofast24 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:12 pm

TomKatn wrote:gofast24

I was told there were two items left disconnected on the engine by the mechanic who replaced the impellor. A hose (tube) that senses water pressure from the outside (fresh water in my case) and a wire that connects to a high pressure fuel sensor. Both were left disconnected which caused the alarm. The code indicated overheating due to water flow.

Thanks for the reply! So, is everything OK now? Have to wonder if you can go back to the mechanic/marina service department and send them the bill for the mechanic that found the two problems! Did you take pictures of the loose/disconnected hoses/plugs? This just supports my life long experience with untrained/no experience mechanics working on a $400k+ vessel. Guess I have the experience which always leads me to being on the boat when some one else is doing some repairs/replacements that I dont have experience doing myself:) From a previous post on my Vacu Flush toilet problems the mechanic I called was great and I would recommend him to anyone doing any electrical/mechanical stuff in our area.
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby Regal3260 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:26 am

Firstly, welcome to the Regal family Tom. Good to hear you've gotten your issues straighten out.
I've had issues with my original controllers as well and decided to order a new one by Seastar.

Seastar chx8242p.jpg

Seastar CHX8242P

I should have it by next week but, probably won't have my mechanic install till things warm up a bit here in Toronto.
I'll update during the install.

If you have question specifically about your 3260 I can try and help out.

Cheers,

Mark
Regal 3260
Toronto, ON
Regal3260

Postby gofast24 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:05 pm

I still would like knowing if the throttle levers were at WOT (especially the one that "wasn't" at a + 1.5" travel). Great that everything was resolved but would like to know regarding the throttle adjustments? Hard to believe that one lever went an additional 1.5" to its stop? What did the mechanic do regarding the throttle positions/adjustments?
Thanks
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Return to Repair Shop