Power Loss to Port Engine

General repair/maintenance/upgrade information exchange.

Power Loss to Port Engine

Postby TomKatn » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:18 am

Purchased a 2003 3260 Commodore. Passed all inspections etc.. On my last outing after cruising at speed for a few miles , an alarm went off and the port engine (still running) lost power and would not power up above 2000 RPM. After about 5 attempts and 10 minutes it ran fine for the entire trip. The Port engine has 145 hours while the starboard engine has 185 hours. The difference in hours may be a result of this happening to the previous owner(s). The pressure, temps, fluid levels are fine. I suspect a faulty warning indicator ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
TomKatn

Re: Power Loss to Port Engine

Postby catalina_mike » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:01 pm

The engine computer saw something (real or imaginary) and went into limp mode. You need a tool to plug in to read the fault code. Sometimes it is a corroded connection to one of the sensors on the engine.
dolce far niente
Sold and sad (2009 4460)
Sea Ray 185 (Lake Arrowhead), Duffy B&B (Booze and Battery)
1999 Albin 28TE
catalina_mike
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby gofast24 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:07 pm

catalina_mike wrote:The engine computer saw something (real or imaginary) and went into limp mode. You need a tool to plug in to read the fault code. Sometimes it is a corroded connection to one of the sensors on the engine.

Agree, you will probably need a OBDII-M reader, cheaper to have a VP dealer come out and read any logged codes on your ECM than buying a reader> On our lake, the marina service dept. charges $50 to read codes, buying your own "M" reader will probably be several hundred$! Let us know how you proceed and the results of the codes stored on your engine ECM! Also agree, the ECM put you into a "limp home" mode which will produce the results you indicated in your OP.
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby gofast24 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:21 pm

TomKatn wrote:Purchased a 2003 3260 Commodore. Passed all inspections etc.. On my last outing after cruising at speed for a few miles , an alarm went off and the port engine (still running) lost power and would not power up above 2000 RPM. After about 5 attempts and 10 minutes it ran fine for the entire trip. The Port engine has 145 hours while the starboard engine has 185 hours. The difference in hours may be a result of this happening to the previous owner(s). The pressure, temps, fluid levels are fine. I suspect a faulty warning indicator ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom, would be very helpful if you advised your course of action and if you had the OBD-II scanned for a logged fault, and if so, what was the cause of your problem and how did you get it corrected??
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby TomKatn » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:00 pm

Thanks for the input. Had the codes read and discovered the following:

When the mechanic replaced the impellor in the Starboard Motor he neglected to re-attach the pressure hose which tells the computer that water is pumping and the high pressure fuel sensor wire causing two different alarms and the engine to go into Guardian mode.
TomKatn

Postby gofast24 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:23 pm

TomKatn wrote:Thanks for the input. Had the codes read and discovered the following:

When the mechanic replaced the impellor in the Starboard Motor he neglected to re-attach the pressure hose which tells the computer that water is pumping and the high pressure fuel sensor wire causing two different alarms and the engine to go into Guardian mode.

Looks like we have two separate posts on basically the same problem? Sounds like you dont want to use that mechanic again? How did these problems get by the first "inspection" you indicated that was done when you purchased the vessel?
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby TomKatn » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:47 am

The problems were a result of the mechanic's work and the alarm codes weren't present during the mechanical survey. That being said I'm shocked the mechanical survey inspector didn't download and print an engine history which my "new mechanic" did. If the surveyor had I would have known the hours on the engines were far more than indicated on the dash gauges and several other code incidents involving over revving, over heating, etc... Relevant infor for a buyer to know.
TomKatn

Postby gofast24 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:17 pm

TomKatn wrote:The problems were a result of the mechanic's work and the alarm codes weren't present during the mechanical survey. That being said I'm shocked the mechanical survey inspector didn't download and print an engine history which my "new mechanic" did. If the surveyor had I would have known the hours on the engines were far more than indicated on the dash gauges and several other code incidents involving over revving, over heating, etc... Relevant infor for a buyer to know.

Good point, guess we all learn over our boat ownership lifetime. Glad to hear your "new" mechanic read all the codes from your ECU! Have to wonder why the original surveyor did not do that, assumed you already paid the surveyor, maybe give him a call and ask for his reason for not pulling the codes from the ECU?
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Return to Repair Shop