Nauticus smart tabs on 1900

General repair/maintenance/upgrade information exchange.

Nauticus smart tabs on 1900

Postby steve & dot » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:31 pm

Anybody have Nauticus Smart Tabs on 1900? Santa left me a set under the tree.
Since my boat is a trailer queen and not on a lift; pulling it out, adjusting positions, re-launching, testing, pulling out, adjusting, re-launching, etc on a no-wake canal will annoy everyone at the ramp and take all day. Wondering which position holes you found best. Thanks for your input.
ST1290-60

Just booked our vacation rental on Virginia lake. . . . Come on Spring! ! !
2007 Regal 1900 - 4.3GXi V/P SX
South Jersey
steve & dot

Re: Nauticus smart tabs on 1900

Postby On Holiday » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:28 am

Enjoy your VA vacation rental, we were down there over Christmas at our house and the lake is over 4 feet below normal.
2006 Regal 2400
On Holiday

Postby Seven » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:30 pm

I can't specifically note for your 1900 but I installed a set on my 13' rib and the instructions said to start in the middle position. WOW what a difference and never needed any adjustment. You probably won't "need" any adjustments but may want to tune them. I would say try them in the recommended position then next time out move them and see if you notice anything. I doubt they will have so much effect that it will be inoperable. If you can reach them from on board you can probably adjust them at anchor. Only thing you have to worry about is dropping parts. Maybe beach the boat so its not too deep if you do drop something and bring a magnet. :)
I have the trailer brackets that allow me to flip up or else they get compressed on the trailer bunks. So keep that in mind if you need them and interfere with your trailer. They are pretty cheap. Beside beaching, the brackets are also useful if its bad weather in a following sea. You may want to flip them up to keep the bow up.
They really are set and forget and have worked great for me for 2 years now and we put tons of miles on it.
--2002 3880 Regal Flybridge | Twin Merc 8.1HO| **Seven**
--2003 AB 13 VST Console Inflatable | Tohatsu 40hp TLDI **Phish'n ski**
--310 Mercury Inflatable | 1982 9.9 Johnson
Seven

Postby On Holiday » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:29 pm

What week is your rental (feel free to PM me)? I will be down many weeks this summer and can offer the use of my lift where you can make any necessary adjustments.
2006 Regal 2400
On Holiday

Postby steve & dot » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:19 pm

Thanks.
2007 Regal 1900 - 4.3GXi V/P SX
South Jersey
steve & dot

Postby gofast24 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:12 pm

Seven wrote:I can't specifically note for your 1900 but I installed a set on my 13' rib and the instructions said to start in the middle position. WOW what a difference and never needed any adjustment. You probably won't "need" any adjustments but may want to tune them. I would say try them in the recommended position then next time out move them and see if you notice anything. I doubt they will have so much effect that it will be inoperable. If you can reach them from on board you can probably adjust them at anchor. Only thing you have to worry about is dropping parts. Maybe beach the boat so its not too deep if you do drop something and bring a magnet. :)
I have the trailer brackets that allow me to flip up or else they get compressed on the trailer bunks. So keep that in mind if you need them and interfere with your trailer. They are pretty cheap. Beside beaching, the brackets are also useful if its bad weather in a following sea. You may want to flip them up to keep the bow up.
They really are set and forget and have worked great for me for 2 years now and we put tons of miles on it.

Just a comment regarding bring a magnet= I hope that nothing on the trim tabs are just ferrous steel, hopefully all 306/316 Stainless steel which does not have any magnetic properties. (some cheep SS components do not have enough chromium content and will still be slightly magnetic, not truly fully complying to any SAE or ASTM standards, they will slowly corrode or rust). I do agree with the comment to just set the tabs in the nominal position and go + and - from there! I assume that these tabs are just a fixed position tab and not hydraulically adjustable, correct?
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby Seven » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:48 pm

Your right about the stainless and not magnetic. Wasn't thinking.
Nauticus do have a model of hydraulic tabs for large boats but mainly known for smart tabs. I actually think they use a different name for the hydraulic versions. Smart tabs use springs of varying sizes dependent on the boat size that push down and are a semi fixed position. You can adjust the spring angle which changes the spring force but its a bolt to adjust and not on the fly.
--2002 3880 Regal Flybridge | Twin Merc 8.1HO| **Seven**
--2003 AB 13 VST Console Inflatable | Tohatsu 40hp TLDI **Phish'n ski**
--310 Mercury Inflatable | 1982 9.9 Johnson
Seven

Postby gofast24 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:11 pm

I think if you were beached in fairly clear water a diving mask would make it easier to find dropped stuff :) Yes, I have dropped a lot of stuff in the lake, for little sockets and small wrenches no big problem, but for larger tools like 1/2" ratchets, 12"/14" crescent wrenches I have for many years tied a small string or rope to the tool and tied the other end to a fitting on the boat or pier. Saved me some big bucks a couple of times!
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Return to Repair Shop