Trim won't hold

General repair/maintenance/upgrade information exchange.

Trim won't hold

Postby Catch22 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:20 pm

All - I have a 2016 2500. I've noticed the last few times I've been on the boat the tilt trim does hold when I am at cruising speed. When at cruising speed I have the trim set to "14", and it slowly slips down 1 degree at a time. it will take 2-5 minutes for it so slip a degree, but it doesn't hold. Any suggestions?? (I do not have cruise control, so the boat computer should not be affecting it).
Catch22

Re: Trim won't hold

Postby Mischief Managed » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:54 pm

There's likely an internal leak in the valve body on the trim pump assembly.
Raymond NH, USA

Mischief Managed
2000 2550 LSC
7.4 MPI Bravo 3
Mischief Managed

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:49 pm

Yes either one of two things, pump / seals or trim sender. I assume you have Volvo engine.

Is it truly moving on you? If you can set it where you like it, stop but don't adjust drive, and take a look at it. Then run again and over time let it decrease and see if it has actually moved. If so you would need to get it out of the water to check the fluid level to see where its at, however you can only do that out of the water as the trim pump is on the outside of the boat in the transom shield.
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby Seven » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:15 pm

It's a 2016, is that a brand new boat? Maybe you have air in the system. Trim all the way up and down a few times at the dock and see if that helps.
Otherwise call the dealer it's probably still under warranty.
--2002 3880 Regal Flybridge | Twin Merc 8.1HO| **Seven**
--2003 AB 13 VST Console Inflatable | Tohatsu 40hp TLDI **Phish'n ski**
--310 Mercury Inflatable | 1982 9.9 Johnson
Seven

Postby fatmattyd » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:18 am

Had the same issue, but it was also happening when on the trailer.

I've got a volvo penta outdrive... was under warranty even.

From the service manual, 5 of the 7 things that could be wrong involve draining and refilling the system.
My dealer messed around with this process a bunch until claiming victory right as I was out of warranty.
It was enough of a hassle for me to finally throw in the towel on the local regal dealer (number of other issues).

Turns out, the pump reservoir had cracked internally, so I was still not able to hold fluid.

Pump replacement is expensive ($1300?), so if it's still under warranty, and I have to imagine it is, I'd get it taken care of ASAP. Give your dealer plenty of time to futz around with
the first repair steps before you're eating into the boating season.

Good luck,
-Matt
fatmattyd

Postby gofast24 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:10 am

I cant believe that if you report a problem to a VP dealer while still under warranty and it takes the incompetent VP dealer so long to finally determine the cause of the failure and repair it puts you a few days out of the warranty period that they would have the cohoneas to tell you you have to pay for the repair!! I wouldn't let this one just slip by you!!
Let us know what you end up with!
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby Catch22 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:05 am

Strange thing is it will hold out of the water. I know it moves in the water as I was running it and didnt notice it until there was a small thump and the boat slowed down, meaning the trip had dropped to full down position Took it to a certified VP dealer at GrandPappy’s marina on Lake Texoma (Pottsboto Tx). Their first plan was to do a flash update to the software, even though there is no cruise control. However, could never get the mechanics to do the work. Will be taking it to another certified mechanic to get it looked. Thanks to everyone for the information.
Catch22

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:47 pm

Yea the drain down isn't a software issue. That answer is I really don't want to mess with you and will simply connect the computer to it and waste some time and send you away to see if it "helped". Then you will be right back again with the same exact issue.

Its a mechanical issue at this point. With it out of the water there aren't any forces acting on it, but when in the water there are tremendous forces pushing down on that outdrive (how many HP?)! Its a closed system, so ideally you shouldn't ever loose any trim fluid. That is step one to see if you are loosing any. If not, then its staying inside the system so I could think pump and blow back. If you are where is the leak? Is it in the rams or lines or pump. There can be air in the system, but a few extensions and retractions would clear that.

With it under warranty its tough for you to do work without being blamed. Any VP dealer can work on it, its just the catch 22 of you didn't purchase it there and dealers get very selective on what boats they will work on. Its not like a car. I had the same problem when I brought both of my boats from out of state to DFW. The Regal dealer here didn't want to work on it. Regal had to send someone from Orlando to work on it, as it was some warranty items for them and not motor specific.
Thanks, Chris

Chris_in_Texas

Postby Catch22 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:41 pm

It’s a VP 380HP. I’m having the issue at all speeds once I’m on plane. I don’t know much about mechanics but even I was calling BS on the flash update. I was hoping they would do it, test it and see that it didn’t work, then actually get to trim motor/system. But I guess I have to work a little harder to get someone to want to earn some money. I did have a non certified mechanic look at it and he told me I was not losing fluid.
Catch22

Postby gofast24 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:11 pm

Catch22 wrote:It’s a VP 380HP. I’m having the issue at all speeds once I’m on plane. I don’t know much about mechanics but even I was calling BS on the flash update. I was hoping they would do it, test it and see that it didn’t work, then actually get to trim motor/system. But I guess I have to work a little harder to get someone to want to earn some money. I did have a non certified mechanic look at it and he told me I was not losing fluid.

If your vessel is still under warranty why have a non VP mechanic work on it? What did that cost? Call or write Regal directly and advise the problem you are having , both with the boat and the dealer, have the hull number handy for either a call or letter!
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby Rob » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:58 pm

Catch22, I’ve had the same problem with our 2015 Regal 2300 VP300 with DPS-A outdrive. We purchased new as a leftover, and our selling dealer basically refused to even look at it. It took over a year for him to satisfy some unrelated warranty issues with the boat, and we clearly got the unspoken message from him that he sold us the boat at such a discount that he didn’t feel compelled to offer much in the way of service to us. We towed it to another dealer 100 miles away and they tested it but couldn’t identify the problem. It’s been going on both seasons we’ve had the boat.

No fluid leak, purged air, refilled system, etc. I’ve wondered if there could be a current leak from one of the trim switches, either on the throttle or the transom, but I don’t know how to check this. I’m anxious to get her back in the water to see what this season brings, but basically, I’ve resigned myself to the fact that this is just one of the few aggravations that come with what otherwise has been an awesome boat that we really are enjoying. In my experience thus far, it seems almost impossible to get a VP service tech, only a few in the area, interested in replacing pumps and such in the absence of an obvious external sign like leaking fluid.

I’ll watch this thread in hopes that one of us finds a solution that is helpful to others. Thanks for posting; I was beginning to think I was just going crazy.
Thanks,

Rob
Finger Lakes Region, NY
'15 Regal 2300, VP 300, DPS
'98 Sea Ray 190 Bowrider, Merc 5L, Alpha I, 21" SS prop (sold)
'00 Sea Doo GTX Millenium (sold)
Rob

Postby Catch22 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:06 pm

Rob, I am taking gofast24’s advice and I will contact Regal directly. I won’t take it to an authorized VP mechanic until next spring as it’s already winterized on a lift in the water. I will let you know what Regal comes back with via this post. - Steve
Catch22

Postby fatmattyd » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:16 am

Good luck with Regal in this regard. I know some folks have had a great experience, but I was basically told to pound sand (that part isn't covered, I didn't have an extended warranty, that's a Volvo issue anyway, etc).

That said... I find it maddening that certified VP mechanics don't want the work. It seems like the warranty claim process for VP must be to blame? Or they're getting some sort of discount labor rate and its an opportunity cost thing?

When I was paying out of pocket to have the pump replaced at a different dealer, they were all too happy to work on it.

That said, it's rough that your boat is on a lift in the water and winterized. If there were a dealer that was willing to work on it over the winter, could you get your boat out? Would obviously need to re-winterize it, but i'd be willing to consider that if it would fix the problem. But, considering it's winter, maybe they can't verify it's fixed after? Its just rough trying to get boat repairs in while everyone is trying to springerize for the upcoming season. Especially if it's not at the dealer you purchased from and they prioritize existing customers (my new shop even has a sign posted to this effect).

Keep on it. Those pumps are expensive.
fatmattyd

Postby Rob » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:27 am

I concur with each experience you’ve described, and have wondered too why there is a reluctance to take on the work. No matter, for those of us in winter climes, nothing to do but wait. While I’d love the boat to be perfect, I’m focusing on all the terrific things about it and the substantial upgrade over our prior boat. Besides, we only out about 25-30 hours on each season so I hit the trim button now as a routine. My right thumb is jacked!!!
Thanks,

Rob
Finger Lakes Region, NY
'15 Regal 2300, VP 300, DPS
'98 Sea Ray 190 Bowrider, Merc 5L, Alpha I, 21" SS prop (sold)
'00 Sea Doo GTX Millenium (sold)
Rob

Postby gofast24 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:06 pm

Just a comment from my many years in the OEM engine business = We had about 26 or so NA distributors and the distributors had from 3 to 8 dealers under them. As we only sold engines to either OEM equipment manufactures or distributors our contracts with our distributors paid their full local labor rates and 5/10% above their parts cost (if they had the parts in stock the rebate increased a additional 5%) for any approved warranty repair. With major volume users of our engines this warranty policy was a major incentive to OEM,s to use our product! Too bad Regal (Or VP) has a dealer contract that allows them to refuse or neglect a under warranty boat owners request for repair or replacement. Cant believe these folks continue to retain or gain new business under these warranty nightmares?
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby fatmattyd » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:01 pm

Well, I'll say, I do like the volvo penta tech, but I'm done with them.

Next engine will be a merc, or some type of outboard or full inboard. I know they all have issues, but you can actually talk to a person at Mercury Marine.
Try to get someone on the phone at Volvo. They literally told me not to call back and that they'd call me. Been crickets for over a year.
fatmattyd

Postby gofast24 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:40 pm

fatmattyd wrote:Well, I'll say, I do like the volvo penta tech, but I'm done with them.

Next engine will be a merc, or some type of outboard or full inboard. I know they all have issues, but you can actually talk to a person at Mercury Marine.
Try to get someone on the phone at Volvo. They literally told me not to call back and that they'd call me. Been crickets for over a year.

Too bad that apparently no one at Regal reads any of our posts or responses on this ROF! It is a public forum! If I was the CEO, VP of Sales, Distributor/Dealer Manager, Engineering/Design Manager etc. they would get some great insight into the reputation/quality/service/warranty of their product and how they might be losing new customers to the competition ? Only addendum to my comment is that our 4160 is doing great, we do 90% of the service/repairs ourselves (not on toilets :) but many of our dock mates dont have the knowledge/capability to do it themselves or have enough money to just pay for the service directly?
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby Catch22 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:23 pm

Just a quick update. Finally got this issue taken care of. The dealer put a new pump in it and it appears to be working fine. It did take some time as it took 3 tries to get the correct pump. It was covered under the warranty, so nothing out of pocket. Minus the time it took to complete the work, I was happy. They fixed one other item (included in warranty as well) and did a flash update to resolve a throttle warning. Based on the bad experience with the first mechanic, I have to give the dealership who did the work props (no pun intended). So, I will mention them by name - Phil Deal Boats in Lewisville Tx.

Appreciate all the input provided in the post.

Steve
Catch22

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:33 pm

Catch22 wrote:Just a quick update. Finally got this issue taken care of. The dealer put a new pump in it and it appears to be working fine. It did take some time as it took 3 tries to get the correct pump. It was covered under the warranty, so nothing out of pocket. Minus the time it took to complete the work, I was happy. They fixed one other item (included in warranty as well) and did a flash update to resolve a throttle warning. Based on the bad experience with the first mechanic, I have to give the dealership who did the work props (no pun intended). So, I will mention them by name - Phil Deal Boats in Lewisville Tx.

Appreciate all the input provided in the post.

Steve

Dill not Deal... :mrgreen:
Thanks, Chris

Chris_in_Texas

Postby Catch22 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:57 am