How long should fuel lines last?

General repair/maintenance/upgrade information exchange.

How long should fuel lines last?

Postby ananda » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:34 pm

I have a 1998 Regal 292 with Volvo 5.0 Gi engines. They run really well with no problems. I have kept up on the maintenance every year with the boat since new. I have read that the fuel lines should be replaced after ten years especially since ethanol has been put in fuel and the lines can rot from the inside out. I am thinking about replacing all my supply, vent, and intake lines next year. All the lines look good that I can determine. Is this something that is overdue for replacement or am I worrying to much. I boat in central California and always put fuel in without ethanol that I am aware of and always add stabilizer. Advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Pat
Pat
1998 Regal 292
Twin Volvo 5.0Gi SX
ananda

Re: How long should fuel lines last?

Postby Mischief Managed » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:37 pm

Pop one off and probe the inside a bit to see how well it's aging. No sense replacing them if the are in good shape. That said, the only one that would probably need to replaced is a short line from the tank to the fuel pump. The fuel fill line rarely has fuel in it and is probably still in great shape.
Raymond NH, USA

Mischief Managed
2000 2550 LSC
7.4 MPI Bravo 3
Mischief Managed

Postby ananda » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:05 pm

I did attempt to remove the line from the tank to the low pressure pump which was attached to a brass nipple fitting. Well, the line is twenty years old and has a permanent set over the nipple. I could not remove the line without fearing that I might damage something. The only way to pull the line off would be to cut it off. I will however see if I have enough length to cut it off, do the inspection, and reinstall if it looks OK.
Pat
1998 Regal 292
Twin Volvo 5.0Gi SX
ananda

Postby gofast24 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:43 am

Mischief Managed wrote:Pop one off and probe the inside a bit to see how well it's aging. No sense replacing them if the are in good shape. That said, the only one that would probably need to replaced is a short line from the tank to the fuel pump. The fuel fill line rarely has fuel in it and is probably still in great shape.

From memory we have a flexible line from our fuel tank to the filter/water separator (2 tanks, 2 fuel filters, two flexible hoses each), then a second flexible line from the filter to the fuel pump inlet? I would hope that the fuel filter is located between the fuel tank with dirt and water in it and fuel pumps! Agree regarding the tank fill hose as well as the tank vent hose not likely needing replacement. We specifically pay a few more cents per gallon for 100% non ethanol fuel
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Return to Repair Shop