Advice? Dirty water in galley compartment

General repair/maintenance/upgrade information exchange.

Advice? Dirty water in galley compartment

Postby Angiebio » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:21 pm

I notice my galley compartment in my regal 2665 filling with an inch or so of dirty water. The boat is in a wet slip for winter and hasn't been moved in about 2 weeks. I am a new owner and don't know much about water systems, but the waste tank is pumped out and its not on dock water during winter (though heat is on constantly at 60 using river water in the system). I suctioned it out with a portable pump, but 2 days later its back, giving the boat a musty smell in the cabin.

Can anyone tell me what to check to find where this water is coming from (and stop it)?

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Angiebio

Re: Advice? Dirty water in galley compartment

Postby Mhook1 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:36 am

What do you mean by “galley compartment “?
Mhook1

Postby gofast24 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:43 am

Mhook1 wrote:What do you mean by “galley compartment “?

Good question. If it is "dirty" have to suspect it is from the galley sink, not many other sources of dirty water in that area? Also, if on the galley floor it should eventually drain down into the bilge where it then could become "dirty" looking? Wonder if the "dirty" water has a distinctive smell just to rule out the head toilet overflow? I think a "low definition" picture would help also. Hope the OP is mopping up the water so if it is setting on a wood floor that it doesnt destroy the floor!
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby kthurt » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:54 pm

I once found "dirty" looking water in my forward bilge. The source turned out to be the galley sink fitting leaking, the water dripped down the top of the lower cabinet housing then the lower hull. The dark color came from the brownish dust film on the raw side of the fiberglass. There was no smell. Pulled the cabinet inner housing...easier than you think, then removed the fitting on sink drain, simply cleaned the rubber gasket, put a little vasoline on it and retightened, problem solved. The screw to tighten the fitting is on the top of the drain, in the sink, I periodically tighten the screw.
Ken

2000 - 2760, Twin 4.3 Volvo GI PEFS, DPS
2012 - Seadoo GTX-S 155
kthurt

Postby kellyg » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:12 pm

You did mention that the heat was left running. It could be the condensate is not draining properly from the a/c pan.
If your condensation is removed via the shower sump pump, and it's not functioning correctly, this could cause water to flow into the bilge. I know you mentioned it being dirty water, but any water left in the bilge for too long may apear to be dirty. If you have a gray water tank, then the condensation would be pumped into that tank.

The other option could be that there is a leak in an a/c cooling line or even the cooling pump. This would cause river water to be in the boat.

Also check for leaks around any underwater thru hull fittings.

You did mention that the waste tank was pumped empty. What if there's a leak in the tank?

You can also have a rain water leak, which would also leave a musty odor.
Gary Kelly
Mount Sinai, NY
2001 Regal 3780
REPOWERED WITH YANMAR 2011
Smooth seas never made a skillful mariner
kellyg
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby stitchsc » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:21 pm

I am with KellyG on this one. While i don't know the specs of the plumbing i can tell you that in the summer with AC on my forward bilge goes from bone dry to an inch or so of water in one weekend. This level is low enough so my forward bildge (bathroom sump box) does not turn on. Seems fairly normal as there in no outer drain hole dedicated to the A/C operation.

I assumed this is the proper way for the A/C unit to drain. If anyone knows differently please let me know as well :)

For moisture and smell we use damprid and air freshener. They work well enough as we have not seen signs of interior mold anywhere, or horrible smells...and we are in SC, very humid!
stitchsc

Postby gofast24 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:17 pm

stitchsc wrote:I am with KellyG on this one. While i don't know the specs of the plumbing i can tell you that in the summer with AC on my forward bilge goes from bone dry to an inch or so of water in one weekend. This level is low enough so my forward bildge (bathroom sump box) does not turn on. Seems fairly normal as there in no outer drain hole dedicated to the A/C operation.

I assumed this is the proper way for the A/C unit to drain. If anyone knows differently please let me know as well :)

For moisture and smell we use damprid and air freshener. They work well enough as we have not seen signs of interior mold anywhere, or horrible smells...and we are in SC, very humid!

Both of our A/C units have "drip pans" below the units, there is a drain fitting on the hopefully "low" side of the pans but any condensate will eventually drain from the pans to the sump pump and be discharged from there to the thru hull fitting. No condensate water should get into your bilge area unless there there is a leak in the hose or the sump pump is malfunctioning and over flowing into the bilge. We occasionally pour about a pint of hydrogen peroxide into both drip pans, kills most of the bacteria in both the pan, drain hose, and sump pump with out doing any damage to any rubber components in the system.
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby kellyg » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:45 pm

Gofast,

The 3780/3880 were both built with the salon a/c condensate draining into the Mid ship bilge. No bilge pump in that area to remove water until at least 6 inches of water developed, then the water could make it thru the limber holes and reach the bilge pump in the engine room.
This was a terrible design by Regal.
I installed a device which automatically drains the condensation from the pan via the discharged water and a venturi fitting.
Gary Kelly
Mount Sinai, NY
2001 Regal 3780
REPOWERED WITH YANMAR 2011
Smooth seas never made a skillful mariner
kellyg

Postby gofast24 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:36 pm

kellyg wrote:Gofast,

The 3780/3880 were both built with the salon a/c condensate draining into the Mid ship bilge. No bilge pump in that area to remove water until at least 6 inches of water developed, then the water could make it thru the limber holes and reach the bilge pump in the engine room.
This was a terrible design by Regal.
I installed a device which automatically drains the condensation from the pan via the discharged water and a venturi fitting.

Thanks Gary!
Agree, not a good place to drain the AC condensate water into the bilge! Especially when it is hot and humid weather and the AC units are running almost continuously! Only attribute of the condensate discharging into the bilge is that it is basically "distilled" water but water just invites mold and mildew to form when just setting in the bilge waiting for the bilge pump to kick in and evacuate it! I wouldn't want any more sources of water vapor in the vessel (bilge or cabin) to create musty smells!
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Return to Repair Shop