Batteries not disconnected for winter storage

General repair/maintenance/upgrade information exchange.

Re: Batteries not disconnected for winter storage

Postby Kikaboo » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:33 pm

Gofast,

Technically I am not supposed to have access to AC power. What I did was run about 200 feet of extension cord from an outside outlet on the marina building across the packing lot to my boat. I did this just for about 3 hours in order to run the on board charger.

This s a new marina for me in terms of winterzation and storage. I am on the smaller side of the boats they store on the hard. I suspect they just disconnected my starting batteries and left the house battery connected...maybe because they didn't know how to operate the ER hatch when the house battery is not connected. They are primarily a Formula dealer, not Regal.

Had they left all the batteries connected I could have charged them up once a month. As it is now it appears only one battery is still connected. I'm gonna ask them exactly what they did but I know they service over 700 boats so its not clear if they are going to remember specifics on mine unless they noted it somewhere.

Next winter I am going to pay more attention to the winterization of my batteries and make some decisions before the boat gets wrapped.
Rob
New York
2015 Regal 32 Express. T-Merc 5.7 Seacore (Cloud Nine)
2018 Achilles LSI-290E (Cloud One)
2011 Stingray 215LR. Merc 5.0
Facebook group page: Cloud Nine NY
Kikaboo

Postby gofast24 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:31 pm

Rob,
If they serviced your boat and invoiced you for it there should be a detailed list of what they did and how much each "service" they charged? At our marina there are almost 1k vessels they service but always get a detailed invoice of what was done and the specific charges. Wonder what battery was disconnected and why they only disconnected one (or two) batteries and left one connected? Did they just turn off the main battery switch(s) or actually disconnect the battery cables from the battery(s)?
Happy Thanksgiving!
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby Kikaboo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:56 pm

gofast24 wrote:Rob,
If they serviced your boat and invoiced you for it there should be a detailed list of what they did and how much each "service" they charged? At our marina there are almost 1k vessels they service but always get a detailed invoice of what was done and the specific charges. Wonder what battery was disconnected and why they only disconnected one (or two) batteries and left one connected? Did they just turn off the main battery switch(s) or actually disconnect the battery cables from the battery(s)?
Happy Thanksgiving!

Right..after Thanksgiving I am going to stop by and ask specifically what they did with my batteries.
I am almost certain they disconnected the leads from the starting batteries themselves but left the hours battery connected.

About 130 days until I am back in the water!

Happy Thanksgiving.
Rob
New York
2015 Regal 32 Express. T-Merc 5.7 Seacore (Cloud Nine)
2018 Achilles LSI-290E (Cloud One)
2011 Stingray 215LR. Merc 5.0
Facebook group page: Cloud Nine NY
Kikaboo

Postby gofast24 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:58 am

If they left the house battery main terminals connected I suggest you just do your 200' 120 VAC cable trick once or twice a month or ask the marina if they can move your vessel to a area that is more accessible to a 120 VAC receptacle? I dont believe there power cost would be more than a few $ / month just to keep the house battery charged as their is such a small parasitic load on it while not using any devices that use house battery power?
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby TechRider » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:57 pm

Hi Rob,
My marina did the same thing. They said it was easier to leave the batteries on board and charge them monthly during the winter then to haul them out. I did ask them to remove them but I guess they do this now to save time and bad backs lol.

I noticed you said they are not charging yours. I did fully charge all my AGM's last year prior to winterizing and they were fine through the winter.
2018 Regal 33 Express
TechRider

Postby gofast24 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:27 pm

TechRider wrote:Hi Rob,
My marina did the same thing. They said it was easier to leave the batteries on board and charge them monthly during the winter then to haul them out. I did ask them to remove them but I guess they do this now to save time and bad backs lol.

I noticed you said they are not charging yours. I did fully charge all my AGM's last year prior to winterizing and they were fine through the winter.

Sounds like Rob doesn't have easy access to a 120 VAC shore power connection with out running 200' of extension cord occasionally to do the battery maintain/charge? I agree about not having to take out the two starting batteries and especially the group 8D AGM house battery! The house battery is about 180 lbs. and almost impossible to pull out even with two young strong sons doing the work!
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Previous

Return to Repair Shop