Accessing Lower Unit Drain Plug

General repair/maintenance/upgrade information exchange.

Accessing Lower Unit Drain Plug

Postby bwhobbs99 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:31 am

Morning All,

I just finished winterizing my 2015 1900 ES and have a question for the forum. I have the VP V6 200 engine with the VP SX-A single prop outdrive. To prep the motor I changed the fuel filter, oil filter, new oil, stabil in the gas tank, filled the gas tank, drained the block, drained the manifolds, drained the water pump, ran 6 gallons of -100 anitfreez through the entire system, and finally fogged the motor. I was really happy with all of the great information I was able to gather from this website and I am happy to help anyone who has questions. I find it hard to find information on these generation 4 volvo motors. So my question, where do you access the drain plug for the lower units on these outdrives? When I removed the prop I can see a 12mm (I think) bolt which sits behind a hub that is on the drive shaft. I couldn't get a socket on this bolt because the hub was blocking it. I suspect I need a special tool to remove the hub to access the bolt, but I am not sure that this bolt is what I need to access. Is the drain plug hidden behind the black pick ups on the lower unit? The plastic covering the pick ups have screws and it looks like the can come off. Anyway, thanks for a great forum and let me know if any of you know the answer to my question.
bwhobbs99

Re: Accessing Lower Unit Drain Plug

Postby gofast24 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:31 am

bwhobbs99 wrote:Morning All,

I just finished winterizing my 2015 1900 ES and have a question for the forum. I have the VP V6 200 engine with the VP SX-A single prop outdrive. To prep the motor I changed the fuel filter, oil filter, new oil, stabil in the gas tank, filled the gas tank, drained the block, drained the manifolds, drained the water pump, ran 6 gallons of -100 anitfreez through the entire system, and finally fogged the motor. I was really happy with all of the great information I was able to gather from this website and I am happy to help anyone who has questions. I find it hard to find information on these generation 4 volvo motors. So my question, where do you access the drain plug for the lower units on these outdrives? When I removed the prop I can see a 12mm (I think) bolt which sits behind a hub that is on the drive shaft. I couldn't get a socket on this bolt because the hub was blocking it. I suspect I need a special tool to remove the hub to access the bolt, but I am not sure that this bolt is what I need to access. Is the drain plug hidden behind the black pick ups on the lower unit? The plastic covering the pick ups have screws and it looks like the can come off. Anyway, thanks for a great forum and let me know if any of you know the answer to my question.

I dont have VP out drives but I suggest you try going to the VP official parts web site, input your engine data (model number/serial number/etc.) and go to the parts breakdown page for your drive. You may be able to see a lower unit lube drain plug shown which will give you a idea of what screw/plug it is and where it its located? Typically on the Merc Outdrives I owned there is also a plug up high on the drive unit that you also have to remove to completely to drain the lube and also to see when you are injecting the new lube to see when it is officially full!
Good luck. Sounds like you did a great job winterizing your 1900 so far!
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby steve & dot » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:03 pm

Hey, I have the same drive but a few years older. Good job winterizing, sounds like you got it all covered. Just did mine before our big chill. After you pull the prop and the stainless steel backing bushing, there should be a slotted screw at the 6:00 position right behind where that bushing was. This is the drain plug screw and has an oring on that screw. Don't remove the hex bolts, they hold the bearing housing in. You should also remove the wrap around plastic cover at the top of the drive, this covers the shift linkage and the overflow drain screw on starboard side of drive. This overflow screw looks just like the drain screw except the drain screw is magnetic to collect any metal particles. Remove this overflow screw and the dipstick at top of drive to help drain the gear oil. The dipstick, overflow screw and drain screws all take an oring, make sure you have new ones before you start. The job takes a little more than 2qts.

With a pan under to collect the gear oil, unscrew the drain screw and let it drain. Once drained use a hand pump and hose that fits in the gear oil bottle ($10 Walmart, West Marine, etc) and screw into the drain hole. You will pump it up from the bottom to reduce air pockets. Pump it in until it starts to come out of the overflow hole. Put the dipstick and overflow screw back in before you unscrew the pump hose and try to be quick to put the drain screw in because it will dribble out. Then you can pull the dipstick and top it off from the dipstick hole. Only add a little bit at a time in dipstick hole because it's only a narrow port that will quickly overflow the dipstick hole- I did that the first time!

http://Www.volvopentastore.com has great parts diagrams if you don't have a manual. I have a Seloc manual that covers all Volvo engines and stern drives - the Bible. Good luck.
2007 Regal 1900 - 4.3GXi V/P SX
South Jersey
steve & dot

Postby bwhobbs99 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:10 pm

Thanks to all for the feedback. I plan on heading back to the boat soon to complete the lower unit oil change. I had a hard time getting the thrust washer off to access the drain plug. I am going to try and borrow a gear puller from one of the auto part stores.
bwhobbs99

Postby steve & dot » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:36 am

I had trouble with that also the first year. I heated it with a torch, gave it a tap and it let go for me.
2007 Regal 1900 - 4.3GXi V/P SX
South Jersey
steve & dot

Postby gofast24 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:06 pm

Gosh, too bad you need a bearing puller to just access the lower units drain plug! Our long gone Merc's I/O's had the drain plug on the side of the lower unit, didnt have to pull a prop thrust washer, especially with gear puller, to just remove the drain plug. Suggest when you get the thrust washer off use some Permatex "anti seize" compound on both the thrust washer taper, prop shaft taper, splines, and internal prop coupling before putting it back together. I also us the Permatex compound on head bolts, spark plugs, exhaust manifolds, risers etc. to prevent galling and seized threads. in my opinion Kind of dumb to locate the lower unit lube drain plug underneath the prop thrust washer and having to remove the prop etc! Not too service or cost friendly especially if you have a mechanic do the job.
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Return to Repair Shop