Hull and deck separation

General repair/maintenance/upgrade information exchange.

Hull and deck separation

Postby Jcraft » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:56 am

During hurricane Irma, my boat got twisted around at an angle in the slip somehow to where the swim platform was resting on the dock. The swim platform was damaged and needs some fiberglass work and has to have the stanchion poles remounted since they ripped out of the transom. A little labor but not a big deal. My real problem is where the hull and deck separated along the transom. Not a huge amount but enough to see daylight through from the engine room. The separation spans roughly about the width of the swim platform with the biggest gap being 3/8”. I’m having trouble getting quotes on anyone repairing this but insurance has already cut me a check and said good luck basically. I’m fairly mechanically inclined and was wondering how difficult this would be to repair if I were to attempt it myself and what would need to happen to make the repairs comparable to or better than factory. There is also some slight cracking in the corners of the molded swim platform where it turns up to form the sides. Thanks for any help or info.
1998 Regal Commodore 322
Twin 5.7 VP’s with outdrives
Jcraft

Re: Hull and deck separation

Postby Mischief Managed » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:25 pm

I through-bolt it loosely every at every rub rail hole with 1/2-20 or 12-24 SS hardware (whatever fits well in the countersunk holes in the SS insert on the rubrail). Seal gap with 3M 5200 slow cure. Start tightening in the center of the gap and gently tighten working your way to the edges in stages until the gap is closed. Use fender washers as backing plates.
Raymond NH, USA

Mischief Managed
2000 2550 LSC
7.4 MPI Bravo 3
Mischief Managed

Postby Jcraft » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:36 pm

Finally figured out how to add a couple pics.
Attachments
IMG_3017.JPG
IMG_3017.JPG (23.53 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
IMGP0223.JPG
IMGP0223.JPG (20.17 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
IMG_3339.JPG
IMG_3339.JPG (21.54 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
IMG_3337.JPG
IMG_3337.JPG (24.5 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
1998 Regal Commodore 322
Jcraft

Postby must_dash » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:57 am

What were the through hull fitting there before? Bolt, rivets, have they pulled through? I plan to replicate the original hardware. If they've pulled through then add new fasteners midway between the old holes. And as mischief said lots of 3M. Better to have to remove it than try to add to seal a small hole where you missed the glue.

Any photos?
When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.
2003 Regal 2250
must_dash

Postby gofast24 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:54 am

We have a second "small" swim platform step about 8" above the main swim platform. There are 5X SS support posts from the transom up to the "little" secondary swim step. They are all mounted thru the transom with 3X oval head 1/4" X 20 SS bolts thru the transom and SS fender washers with nylock nuts behind. I would think that you could just remove the old bolts (hopefully not screws) , use SS fender washers and nylock nuts, and put a good glob of 3M sealant into the holes in the transom and be good to go? A picture of what you have on the inside of the transom would help a lot!
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:37 pm

If you have had separation of the hull and deck is not that good. I assume nobody wants to touch it because the potential liability involved. Traditionally the separation of the two pieces can/should cause the write off of the boat from what I have seen. This is because the hull/deck seam should be stronger than the fiberglass itself. They should be thru-bolted and glued together every so many inches, I am not sure what Regal's standard is. The top deck adds the structure into the hull, which by itself is quite floppy as there aren't any supports that high in the mold. Kind of like taking the roof and rafters off a house and the walls get pretty flimsy. If you can see through that would indicate that there is some built up stress somewhere else in the topdeck / transom and that the seam across the transom itself could be compromised. There should be other bolts etc that are broke or fiberglass that is ripped somewhere else along the seams that you might not be able to see / access. While others have made suggestions on how to fix I would consult the insurance company again to send out a surveyor and see if it can be salvaged or not. The last place you want to be is out in the water and have a catastrophic failure of the transom. I assume that with the 322 you might have outdrives that also put stress on the transom? Just my 2 cents, but erroring on the conservative side and being on the ocean, much different than a small inland lake where you can swim to shore and walk to the gas station to call someone.
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby must_dash » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:45 am

Maybe the "I’m having trouble getting quotes on anyone repairing this but insurance has already cut me a check and said good luck basically" means that they have written the boat off as nobody wants to touch it....
Have you got photos of the whole stern area?
When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.
2003 Regal 2250
must_dash

Postby cbsmith » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:05 am

must_dash wrote:Maybe the "I’m having trouble getting quotes on anyone repairing this but insurance has already cut me a check and said good luck basically" means that they have written the boat off as nobody wants to touch it....

Yeah typically hull separation at the hull/deck joint is extremely hard to repair and may be impossible to do correctly and back to factory strength. That bond is made at the factory and is never intended to be undone and there is no real way to get it back together and make it as strong as it was originally.
2014 Regal 1900
2010 Sea-Doo GTX 155
2007 Sea-Doo Wake 215
cbsmith

Postby Regal3260 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:54 am

You would need to remove the swim platform first to get good access to the seam. Remove the rub rail to see whats truly involved with the repair.

Mark
Regal 3260
Toronto, ON
Regal3260

Postby gofast24 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:10 am

must_dash wrote:Maybe the "I’m having trouble getting quotes on anyone repairing this but insurance has already cut me a check and said good luck basically" means that they have written the boat off as nobody wants to touch it....

Thanks for the pictures! Doesnt look good to me as some of the other folks said. Did the insurance company send you a check for the full value of the vessel based on its age/blue book value or did you just settle for what they gave you? I wouldn't sign or deposit the check until you can get a equivalent age/model/operating hours vessel! Did your insurance company want to take possession of your vessel after sending the check or do you still own it? Most likely they own it after you deposit the check. I would do a little more research before depositing the check, just my thoughts!
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby Seven » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:04 am

I agree with gofast. Also will be better if you get a qualified repair shop now and have them deal with the insurance company and all you do is pay the deductible.
Not sure if it is similar to a car claim but my mechanic wanted to be there when the insurance company adjuster came because usually when you open things up its worse than the outside appearance. The last claim I had the mechanic had to go back at least once if not twice, can't remember, to increase the amount for things they found after taking stuff apart.
Good luck.
--2002 3880 Regal Flybridge | Twin Merc 8.1HO| **Seven**
--2003 AB 13 VST Console Inflatable | Tohatsu 40hp TLDI **Phish'n ski**
--310 Mercury Inflatable | 1982 9.9 Johnson
Seven

Postby gofast24 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:53 am

Now we just need a reply from jcraft regarding our thoughts and questions to see where this insurance process is currently. For me, it is always great when we leave responses and recommendations to see what the final results are. Did we give good advice or did the OP already go thru what he indicated in the original post and then ask the questions on the ROF?
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby Jcraft » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:09 pm

Sorry. I thought I had already replied because I hate how threads sometimes end with no resolution, but anyhow, insurance did not total the boat. They cut me a check minus deductible for a little over $5k which I still have not deposited. Insurance did assure me that if/when it’s being fixed and the repair company finds more problems, they will pay the additional money to fix it. However, they need to know about it before proceeding too far into repairs so they have the chance to evaluate what the repair company is claiming. This is why I’m trying to get a decent estimate before the work begins because I can already see things the adjustor missed and I’m wanting to get ahead of the ballgame rather than holding the boat up in the yard and having the shop lose time waiting on insurance.

After talking to some of the local guys, a few boating friends that have worked on boats pretty extensively, and doing my own research, this particular separation doesn’t sound like it will be too bad to fix. I’m not really going to know what’s going on until I can get the rub rail off and look under it which I’m going to do Saturday. I’ll be sure to take plenty of pics and follow up. I’m fairly well mechanically inclined and almost more than anything, curious as to what is holding the seam open now. It might be something I let the shop fix or I might make an attempt at doing it myself with some insight from others. But I’ll definitely keep updating this until some resolution comes around. Thanks for all the info so far.
1998 Regal Commodore 322
Jcraft

Postby gofast24 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:18 am

Jcraft wrote:Sorry. I thought I had already replied because I hate how threads sometimes end with no resolution, but anyhow, insurance did not total the boat. They cut me a check minus deductible for a little over $5k which I still have not deposited. Insurance did assure me that if/when it’s being fixed and the repair company finds more problems, they will pay the additional money to fix it. However, they need to know about it before proceeding too far into repairs so they have the chance to evaluate what the repair company is claiming. This is why I’m trying to get a decent estimate before the work begins because I can already see things the adjustor missed and I’m wanting to get ahead of the ballgame rather than holding the boat up in the yard and having the shop lose time waiting on insurance.

After talking to some of the local guys, a few boating friends that have worked on boats pretty extensively, and doing my own research, this particular separation doesn’t sound like it will be too bad to fix. I’m not really going to know what’s going on until I can get the rub rail off and look under it which I’m going to do Saturday. I’ll be sure to take plenty of pics and follow up. I’m fairly well mechanically inclined and almost more than anything, curious as to what is holding the seam open now. It might be something I let the shop fix or I might make an attempt at doing it myself with some insight from others. But I’ll definitely keep updating this until some resolution comes around. Thanks for all the info so far.

Agree, you are going down the right path! I would still get a certified surveyor to review the damage (pay him separately, not the insurance companies investigator) and get his finding in writing prior to cashing the insurance companies check! Regardless of what your agent verbally indicates once you sign the check you are on your own. Get our agent to give you a letter in writing indicating that they will pay for any "latent" damage found after the repair process proceeds!
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby Jcraft » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:31 pm

Finally got some time today to get in the water and get the rub rail off the transom. Of course I would have to wait til the water temp dropped to the mid 70’s and the air temp was only 67 with a 22 knot breeze. Despite that great plan, I got the rub rail off to where I can see the actual seam now.

As I was taking the rail off, it was partially pinched between the hull and deck accounting for part of the seam remaining open. It freaked and moaned when I took the screws out and finally yanked the rail out of the seam and the majority of the gap closed back together. There is still some gap between the two with maybe a 1/4” at the widest and I believe this is where the original sealant cracked and broke out.

On account of my hands starting to go numb, I wasn’t able to pull out any of the screws that fasten the hull and deck. A couple of these were at angles coming through the lower flange so I’m almost certain they are still somewhat pinched in between causing a small amount of the gap that remains. You can also see where there are cracks in at least the gel coat and possibly fiberglass where the molded original swim platform turns up at a 90 degree angle to form the sides.

I think after seeing all this, I feel pretty confident my partner and I can fix the damage ourselves. I’m going to hopefully take the swim platform off by the end of the weekend and take it to the house where I can learn how to do some fiberglass work. I’ll pull the boat out in January where I’ll have another boating friend there to help get everything back together.
1998 Regal Commodore 322
Jcraft

Postby Jcraft » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:38 pm

Pics of the hull and deck seam after the rub rail was removed.
Attachments
985F6912-DEC5-49DA-8FFA-4395A6C0DF41.jpeg
7D53BE3E-D689-4162-9028-3309EC7D2D97.jpeg
90E88447-7233-42E7-A4C1-09D58FCBDB58.jpeg
4C871A1B-5DEF-48FC-B805-B3EEE01CC653.jpeg
BCDAE9EB-93D7-450A-8E61-9D52388C82CD.jpeg
0B39547B-803D-401C-B128-3BE79F2D74AA.jpeg
1998 Regal Commodore 322
Jcraft

Postby gofast24 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:24 am

Looks like the separation was, as is typical, in or close to the thru holes holding the deck to the hull, weakest connection to the hull, like a fuse blowing! Are you sure you want to take on this major repair yourself? I still think you should get a open ended repair estimate from a good fiberglass company and let your insurance pay for it less your deductible! In my case, I wouldn't want a boat with the damage you are attempting to repair by yourself? Guess its your call?
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Return to Repair Shop