Gel coat/Non skid repair

General repair/maintenance/upgrade information exchange.

Gel coat/Non skid repair

Postby MyPleasure » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:33 am

Hello Friends

During the holiday weekend I had an incident happen that could have been tragic but was just a scare. My BBQ propane hose must have cracked at the BBQ fitting and caught fire..... It melted and dropped down on my swim platform. Luckily I saw it shorty there after, turned off the propane and kick the hose end into the sound and stomped out the fire. The damage was the hose and the gel coat on my swim platform. needless to say it was fright i don't want to go through again.

I'm now faced with getting my gel coat repaired along with finding the non skid mold to do the work. Does anyone know what non skid mold Regal used on the 2007 era boats (3760)?
Attachments
file-178.jpeg
Bummer
MyPleasure

Re: Gel coat/Non skid repair

Postby grapeguy » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:15 pm

Have you considered making a mold yourself? When I had to repair my non-skid, I found a good website on just this subject. All the materials were available at TAP plastics. I used a section of undamaged swim platform to use and then made a mold that gave the same pattern. There was a slight difference only I was able to detect.
John
2001 2960 "Dolce Luna" SOLD
1994 Valanti 233 "Bella Luna" SOLD
grapeguy
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby MyPleasure » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:10 am

Ill check it out....thanks for the tip
MyPleasure

Postby MyPleasure » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:27 am

After watching a tap plastic video I seems pretty simple to make a reverse mold of the non skid by pouring their mold silicone on my non damaged platform and squeegee it out even to an 1/8" or so to get a nice mat mold.

Rick
MyPleasure

Postby gofast24 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:33 am

MyPleasure wrote:Hello Friends

During the holiday weekend I had an incident happen that could have been tragic but was just a scare. My BBQ propane hose must have cracked at the BBQ fitting and caught fire..... It melted and dropped down on my swim platform. Luckily I saw it shorty there after, turned off the propane and kick the hose end into the sound and stomped out the fire. The damage was the hose and the gel coat on my swim platform. needless to say it was fright i don't want to go through again.

I'm now faced with getting my gel coat repaired along with finding the non skid mold to do the work. Does anyone know what non skid mold Regal used on the 2007 era boats (3760)?

Before going to all that work I would first clean off the area with heavy duty hull cleaner and a "scrung" pad. After drying it off try some brake cleaner with a dry scrung pad. . Then, if it shows gel coat melted you will have to do a lot of work to get it back to like new. Good luck and let us know how you make out. Was hoping you were watching the grill cook and would have noticed the hose failing and able to shut off the propane in time? When wer cook on the hook wer use the small propane bottles connected directly to the grill and watch the whole process from starting to cook to food done :)
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby grapeguy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:15 am

Here is a thread that covered the original swim deck repair discussions. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9232&p=52265&hilit=Non+skid+mold#p52265
John
grapeguy

Postby grapeguy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:39 am

Found out the video link no longer available. Here is a transcript from a Chaparral forum:
The method below should work for a small area like yours on a flat or relatively flat surface where the curvature of nearby area is same and can be used to create your own custom mold. Sometimes making your own mold for the non-skid is the best alternative, and way less costly than expensive flexmold as you noted.

When done this way, your mold is only going to cost you a few dollars, and will be an exact fit for your boat's non-skid.

Part One … your own mold creation …

You will need to locate some "good" non-skid near your repair area. The closer you can get to it, the better as the non-skid surface vary throughout the boat due to wear, tear and gelcoat erosion.

Coat the non-skid area with some mold release PVA. Make sure to spray from different angles for good coverage.

Create a dam around the area you want to create your mold from with putty or other damming material.

Once your non-skid is waxed and your dam is made, mix up some resin or epoxy. Pour the resin into the dam. You don't want it too thick, or too thin. 1/8" or 1/4" thick above the non-skid is plenty.

After it dries remove the dam and lightly tap the top of the cured resin to aid in release. Lift the cured resin off the non-skid.

You now have your non-skid mold!

Part Two … the gelcoat repair …

This might not be applicable as-is to your situation since you have a bigger problem underneath to repair first.

Wax the non-skid area to be repaired. Mold release wax is best.

Use Dremel or other tool to grind out the area to be repaired. This step removes the wax and gives the gelcoat a good surface to attach to.

Dry fit your mold to the repair area and then mark the desire placement somehow.

Flip the mold and apply some gelcoat to the waxed mold. Apply some gelcoat to the area of repair.

Set the mold and add some weight to the top of the mold.

When gelcoat sets remove the mold and scrape away any gelcoat squeezed out.

Here is another video link that is active: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UpsRljqBH0o
John
grapeguy

Postby MyPleasure » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:50 am

John, Thanks so much for your post.....very valuable information for me....I'm going to use it .

For anyone's information Regal did answer my question about the original non skid mold for my 2007 3760 they used Gibco's 118 diamond pattern. www.gibcoflexmold.com

thanks again...Rick
MyPleasure

Postby gofast24 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:23 am

grapeguy wrote:Found out the video link no longer available. Here is a transcript from a Chaparral forum:
The method below should work for a small area like yours on a flat or relatively flat surface where the curvature of nearby area is same and can be used to create your own custom mold. Sometimes making your own mold for the non-skid is the best alternative, and way less costly than expensive flexmold as you noted.

When done this way, your mold is only going to cost you a few dollars, and will be an exact fit for your boat's non-skid.

Part One … your own mold creation …

You will need to locate some "good" non-skid near your repair area. The closer you can get to it, the better as the non-skid surface vary throughout the boat due to wear, tear and gelcoat erosion.

Coat the non-skid area with some mold release PVA. Make sure to spray from different angles for good coverage.

Create a dam around the area you want to create your mold from with putty or other damming material.

Once your non-skid is waxed and your dam is made, mix up some resin or epoxy. Pour the resin into the dam. You don't want it too thick, or too thin. 1/8" or 1/4" thick above the non-skid is plenty.

After it dries remove the dam and lightly tap the top of the cured resin to aid in release. Lift the cured resin off the non-skid.

You now have your non-skid mold!

Part Two … the gelcoat repair …

This might not be applicable as-is to your situation since you have a bigger problem underneath to repair first.

Wax the non-skid area to be repaired. Mold release wax is best.

Use Dremel or other tool to grind out the area to be repaired. This step removes the wax and gives the gelcoat a good surface to attach to.

Dry fit your mold to the repair area and then mark the desire placement somehow.

Flip the mold and apply some gelcoat to the waxed mold. Apply some gelcoat to the area of repair.

Set the mold and add some weight to the top of the mold.

When gelcoat sets remove the mold and scrape away any gelcoat squeezed out.

Here is another video link that is active: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UpsRljqBH0o

Dont understand the "Wax the non-skid area to be repaired. Mold release wax is best:? Dont you want the new resin to stick/adhere to the area to be repaired?
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby grapeguy » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:47 pm

I missed changing the transcript from wax to spray PVA. You spray the area with mold release and then grind out the damaged spot to expose the material where gelcoat will adhere to. The other areas undamaged will allow the excess gelcoat to be easily removed. The video makes this clear. Hope this helps.
John
grapeguy

Postby gofast24 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:11 am

grapeguy wrote:I missed changing the transcript from wax to spray PVA. You spray the area with mold release and then grind out the damaged spot to expose the material where gelcoat will adhere to. The other areas undamaged will allow the excess gelcoat to be easily removed. The video makes this clear. Hope this helps.

OK, guess i didnt understand the post fully? Make sense to put mold release on the areas around the damaged area so as to not get new resin stuck to the good areas!
Good luck with your repair!
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Return to Repair Shop