Diesel Leak Found because of ROF

General repair/maintenance/upgrade information exchange.

Re: Diesel Leak Found because of ROF

Postby xixp » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:36 pm

In the case of the SC35 (sorry to hijack the post) it would be “easier” to remove the holding tank, cut the bulkhead and take the port tank out from the ER. That tank its smaller so may be it could be done without removing the port engine.
I took some pictures of a SC35 being built when i went to check out the final tests of my boat and it seems the tank is in a separate compartment that is not part of the upper deck nor the cabin module so getting to it from behind would be the best choice.

(I hope i will never have to get to that anyway!!)
Attachments
33397B90-62B8-4B76-A2C2-7CA42502C272.jpeg
0BFC8BB6-030C-4940-B97E-AA4A359CFDA1.jpeg
841CE58A-19CF-4C7A-AF39-311F00A9CF8D.jpeg
2016 SC 35 , "Phoenix"
2010 3760 (sold)
xixp

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:19 pm

In the middle photo, the tank is inside another fiberglass box, where the toolbox is sitting. When you take out the access port under the seat, you see another fiberglass box underneath with another access port to get to the fuel sender only. Regal had to modify mine, because when I got the boat the two chambers didn't match up so they cut into a new larger square access port to get to the round hole below, then you see the aluminum tank inside that enclosure. I can say when you get a few drops of gas in that lower chamber it really smells up the cabin and cockpit. You woudl also need access to unbolt the tank from the floor above and behind and on the sides of the tank, you couldn't get there through the ER. The same thing applies to the SB tank as well there are bolts on the SB side of the tank and forward on the thank.

Either way I really feel the pain of chesapeakelover, the mess he has to deal with. I believe that Regal uses the exact same tanks if they are gas or diesel, and considering that I think you could get just about every boat in either gas or diesel, I wonder what would last longer?

This reminds me of the whole ethanol fiasco with fiberglass tanks where they worked just fine for straight gas, but the ethanol would eat the resins apart on the tanks and destroy the fuel systems and even the engines, none of which was covered by insurance. Then everyone ran out an replaced all the fiberglass tanks with aluminum tanks. Again we are talking gas and not diesel.

Here is an excellent article from my the guys I know, Steve D'Antonio on fuel tanks and different materials. Its a bit dated, but still very valid. Might be of some use here. One thing he does discuss on mounting options is that if they use an insulating strip and it gets wet, it will start the corrosion process. (8th page in PDF or page 103 of article). This sounds pretty much what happened to chesapeakelovers tank. He is in Richmond, VA might be a good second set of eyes to examine your problem and give suggestions. I am not sure what he might charge, but he has been in the marine industry for a long time and has seen many things.

stevedmarineconsulting.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/FuelTankDesign.pdf
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby ChesapeakeLover » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:08 pm

Been awhile but here is a quick update on 'Best Day Ever'

I am replacing the tanks and doing much of the work myself. I worked with Regal on this. They've been great to work with and want to know more information about what I'm seeing. They offered me their drop dead cost on the tanks so I upgraded the aluminum from 1/8 to 3/16 and had the epoxy coated! They ain't never gonna leak again!! Tanks are here sitting in my garage.

Both tanks are out - Boy that was fun! I am now cleaning up the bilge area, going to paint that area with BilgeCoat then the new tanks go in. Sounds so easy when you type it out. HA!

I'm hiring a different mechanic to help with the final connections. I'd rather hire a professional to hook everything up and pressure test the system to ensure its all good. I'll put the tanks in and brace them, then turn it over to the mechanic for wiring and hose connections.

Any questions on the 3880 - I know a lot more about her now!
Tim
Tim & Jen
'Best Day Ever'
Severna Park, MD
ChesapeakeLover

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:53 pm

Glad you ended up replacing them both, the safest thing to do for sure, not the cheapest, but will give good piece of mind. I know a few people that a diesel leak in a boat is bad, EPA / USCG aside, its the smell of raw diesel and trying to be around it for any amount of time, because it doesn't evaporate like gas, that smell is there for a long time unless you can get it all cleaned up correctly. Makes it hard to be in the cabin I am sure. :o
Thanks, Chris

Chris_in_Texas

Postby Seven » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:38 am

Sounds like you are making the best decisions with this bad situation. Keep us in the loop and good luck with everything.
--2002 3880 Regal Flybridge | Twin Merc 8.1HO| **Seven**
--2003 AB 13 VST Console Inflatable | Tohatsu 40hp TLDI **Phish'n ski**
--310 Mercury Inflatable | 1982 9.9 Johnson
Seven

Postby kellyg » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:34 pm

Glad to see it's all coming together for you.
If you can, please share photos, as those of us with the same boat, would appreciate seeing the steps involved, just in case it's in our futures.
Gary Kelly
Mount Sinai, NY
2001 Regal 3780
REPOWERED WITH YANMAR 2011
Smooth seas never made a skillful mariner
kellyg
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby gofast24 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:01 am

Not being able to go back to the OP where (was) the diesel fuel tank leaking? Something funny going on here with my Great ATT ISP!.
With our 500 HP plus marine diesels aluminum tanks or copper fuel lines not allowed, if found during commissioning warranty void. Steel tanks (or coated aluminum tanks) and flexible approved neoprene (SAE30R2)fuel lines recommended. Where the diesel fuel leaked recommend a non flammable brake cleaner to flush out the residue, then a bilge cleaner to rinse the non flammable brake cleaner out of the bilge. Might recommend a marine surveyor to review the vessel during the build process! Ya, dont know of anybody that will ever do this pre commissioning inspection:)
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby ChesapeakeLover » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:13 pm

New tanks going in this weekend!
I have taken pictures - but I can't seem to get them to post. They are always too big.
Project is taking some time as I am doing it on the weekends. (and it's cold)

While I'm at it I decided to replace the exterior upholstery so that's all out too.
Tim & Jen
'Best Day Ever'
Severna Park, MD
ChesapeakeLover

Postby ChesapeakeLover » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:33 pm

New Tanks are in!
I'll try some pictures
Tim & Jen
'Best Day Ever'
Severna Park, MD
ChesapeakeLover

Postby ChesapeakeLover » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:59 am

All my pictures are too big - I'll try to re-set them and post later.
Tim & Jen
'Best Day Ever'
Severna Park, MD
ChesapeakeLover

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:31 am

Yes you have to go in and resize them. You can use MS paint and resize them smaller. Just resize by pixels and set either 1024 or 768 as the size depending on if its portrait or landscape. There are also other batch type programs online that can do bulk resizing.
Thanks, Chris

Chris_in_Texas

Postby gofast24 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:36 am

Chris_in_Texas wrote:In the middle photo, the tank is inside another fiberglass box, where the toolbox is sitting. When you take out the access port under the seat, you see another fiberglass box underneath with another access port to get to the fuel sender only. Regal had to modify mine, because when I got the boat the two chambers didn't match up so they cut into a new larger square access port to get to the round hole below, then you see the aluminum tank inside that enclosure. I can say when you get a few drops of gas in that lower chamber it really smells up the cabin and cockpit. You woudl also need access to unbolt the tank from the floor above and behind and on the sides of the tank, you couldn't get there through the ER. The same thing applies to the SB tank as well there are bolts on the SB side of the tank and forward on the thank.

Either way I really feel the pain of chesapeakelover, the mess he has to deal with. I believe that Regal uses the exact same tanks if they are gas or diesel, and considering that I think you could get just about every boat in either gas or diesel, I wonder what would last longer?

This reminds me of the whole ethanol fiasco with fiberglass tanks where they worked just fine for straight gas, but the ethanol would eat the resins apart on the tanks and destroy the fuel systems and even the engines, none of which was covered by insurance. Then everyone ran out an replaced all the fiberglass tanks with aluminum tanks. Again we are talking gas and not diesel.

Here is an excellent article from my the guys I know, Steve D'Antonio on fuel tanks and different materials. Its a bit dated, but still very valid. Might be of some use here. One thing he does discuss on mounting options is that if they use an insulating strip and it gets wet, it will start the corrosion process. (8th page in PDF or page 103 of article). This sounds pretty much what happened to chesapeakelovers tank. He is in Richmond, VA might be a good second set of eyes to examine your problem and give suggestions. I am not sure what he might charge, but he has been in the marine industry for a long time and has seen many things.

stevedmarineconsulting.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/FuelTankDesign.pdf
Read the whole article, great info!
Only thing I am wondering about is the use or non use of copper fuel lines on a diesel fueled engine. ? Not sure if any current production boats actually have copper fuel lines or not? We (in my previous life) always excluded the use of copper in any part of a diesels fuel system.
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby ChesapeakeLover » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:20 pm

Tank Removal -
Two pictures -
Start of getting the tank out.
Remove the interior steps, console, corner bar area.
Rip out carpet.
Remove plywood.
Reveal Tanks. - Next we had to figure out how to release the tanks from the brackets as they were bolted into the bulkhead. Tight spot - no room to get a hand in there to work.
Attachments
RegalTankRemovalTight2.jpeg
RegalTankRemovalTight.jpeg
Tim & Jen
'Best Day Ever'
Severna Park, MD
ChesapeakeLover

Postby ChesapeakeLover » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:23 pm

Port Side Tank Removal -
We had to work upside down, cut a hole in the floor under the settee to access the brackets.
Also had to cut a hole in the headboard of the port 2nd stateroom to access the outboard-forward bracket.
Attachments
RegalPortTankRemoval.jpeg
Tim & Jen
'Best Day Ever'
Severna Park, MD
ChesapeakeLover

Postby ChesapeakeLover » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:24 pm

Another picture of me upside down....
Attachments
RegalPortTankRemoval2.jpeg
Tim & Jen
'Best Day Ever'
Severna Park, MD
ChesapeakeLover

Postby ChesapeakeLover » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:30 pm

Starboard tank was already removed at this point. That was 'relatively' easy. Port tank was a bitch. The foam tape on the bottom of the tank acted like a huge suction cup. Even when we were certain the tank was free - the tank didn't move. Another indication on how much moisture that foam tape is holding!
We took a 2 x 8 and spanned the opening, attached a ratchet strap to the lifting eye seen in the picture and ratcheted in down until you could hear the suction release.
After that we still had to cut out all the wood, slide it out, release the hoses - the Fill Hose release was a bear!!!. We then muscled it out. We first blocked the ports with oil-sorb material so the remainder of any fuel still in the tank would not spill out.

Ok - Questions on tank removal? LOL
Tim
Tim & Jen
'Best Day Ever'
Severna Park, MD
ChesapeakeLover

Postby gofast24 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:50 am

Hey, your doing great! A lot of work that could have been prevented if Regal had done their home work on the tanks when the vessel was built? We also have a lot of stuff in our vessel that would take a humongous amount of work to replace, thankfully the fuel tanks are still fine :). Keep us up to date with your progress!
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby ChesapeakeLover » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:19 pm

After tanks were out, I cleaned up the bilge, or well area, the tanks were stored. Sanded the surface, and painted the area with fresh, grey bilge paint.
Attachments
RegalPaintBilge3.jpeg
RegalPaintBilge.jpeg
Tim & Jen
'Best Day Ever'
Severna Park, MD
ChesapeakeLover

Postby ChesapeakeLover » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:20 pm

Painted myself into a corner.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
RegalPaintCornerBilge.jpeg
Tim & Jen
'Best Day Ever'
Severna Park, MD
ChesapeakeLover

Postby ChesapeakeLover » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:33 pm

Next step was prepping the tanks for install.
The old tanks had the foam rubber isolation pads. I still needed to put something on the bottom of the new tanks to keep them elevated allow for air circulation. I'm working with a surveyor on this install. He suggested Starboard. I cut starboard to about 3" wide slats.
In researching glueing starboard, I discovered a few tricks. You need to torch it first. I took my plumbers torch and passed the torch back and forth. This basically 'melted' the thin wax sheen that is on top of the starboard. I light sanded it, then cleaned it with PVC Cleaner. I quick test to see if the starboard is ready to glue - drop a few drops of water on the board. If they bubble up - no good still waxy sheen is there. If the water lays flat - you are good to go.
I used a 2 part epoxy to bond the starboard slats to the epoxy coated tank. Used blue tape to keep them in place. Layed the tank down flat over night so the weight of the tank held the 'slats' in place until the epoxy fully cured.
The following day I used some caulk around the edges to seal up the joint between at the edges.
Attachments
RegalStarboardSlatsTape.jpeg
RegalStarboardTorch.jpeg
Tim & Jen
'Best Day Ever'
Severna Park, MD
ChesapeakeLover

PreviousNext

Return to Repair Shop