Ballast frame pulling apart on Surf

General repair/maintenance/upgrade information exchange.

Ballast frame pulling apart on Surf

Postby spadelizard » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:53 pm

I was wondering if anyone else has had the issue that the ballast bags pull the frame apart and what you did to fix?
The service location has put them back together a few times but they continue to pull apart. I have noticed that once they come apart that steering becomes difficult from the box pushing on the steering components.
I've reached out to Regal a few times but I've heard nothing back....slightly disappointing as it's a new boat.

Understanding that mechanical connections require a fail safe/ breaking location (which is prob why they are built this way) , I am thinking about ditching the wood screws, drilling out the holes and running slightly longer bolts that would allow for the box to expand when needed.

I'll post back if I hear from Regal or make the modification.
2017 2300 RX Surf
2012 2100 4.3GXI (head turner)
2003 Stingray 180rx (awesome boat but for a different lake)
spadelizard

Re: Ballast frame pulling apart on Surf

Postby spadelizard » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:19 pm

Wanted to follow up and say that Regal is modifying and sending new frame pieces in hopes of correcting the issue.
2017 2300 RX Surf
2012 2100 4.3GXI (head turner)
2003 Stingray 180rx (awesome boat but for a different lake)
spadelizard

Re: Ballast frame pulling apart on Surf

Postby gofast24 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:42 am

spadelizard wrote:Wanted to follow up and say that Regal is modifying and sending new frame pieces in hopes of correcting the issue.

Dumb question = I am guessing you have a ski boat/wake board boat and the ballast tanks are to produce a bigger wave for someone to jump over? Sorry!
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Return to Repair Shop