Canada lake Map chip question

Information exchange for boating equipment.

Canada lake Map chip question

Postby RLWSNOOK » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:25 pm

I'm going fishing up in Canada.. And I'm looking to get some small GPS device to use on Lake Biscotasi, ON Canada.

I'm worried about getting lost on the lake. So I need some kind of small chart plotter\gps with a chip for the lake. If anyone from canada has any advice where to look that'd be a big help.
2006 Regal 2000
2006 Regal 1900 Sold
RLWSNOOK

Re: Canada lake Map chip question

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:26 pm

Unless your looking for the full chart plotting system, skip it and just use a small portable unit. I am a Garmin person myself. But even something as simple as the Navionics App and an iPod Touch with the "Bad-Elf" GPS module add-on will get your by and you can watch movies to boot while your not on the water. Just an idea.

You can download all the maps into the touch to use on the go. Look for the Navionics Marine&Lakes: USA & Canada. Then the http://bad-elf.com/products/gps/ and the touch.

Otherwise about any basic GPS will do that will allow waypoints. When you get to the boat ramp drop a point to know where to get back too. Most allow breadcrumbs as well to back track.
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby RLWSNOOK » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:46 pm

I think garmin has the best option with this ( https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID ... pvID=39106 )... Navionics I don't think has coverage for lakes in canada... at least not for the lake I'm going to... Only other option is lakemaster charts http://www.lakemap.com/gpsfishingmaps-h ... rainy.aspx not sure if this has the lake I need.. it won't tell me... Or if I am missing any other options
2006 Regal 2000
2006 Regal 1900 Sold
RLWSNOOK

Postby Canada » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:39 am

One can not even assume that the lake has been charted however it does have 600 miles of shoreline and 400 islands (nice place to get lost in) and it is the last lake in the series of the Spanish River watershed which ends up draining into the North Channel). if it was me, I would be calling Ritchie's which seems to be a big fishing camp with accommodations, guides and so on. I simple phone call starting with, "I am thinking about coming up to go fishing..... yada yada yada and oh, by the way, do you sell charts or chipsets for a GPS and if not do you know which one I need and where do I get it?"

There contact info can be seen at:

http://www.ritchiesendoftrail.com/contactus.html

Also agree with Chris on the ipad,ipod whatever, JJV got one and the chart apps are very good and then you end up with a toy you can use for other stuff.

You could also contact Ontario Parks at the numbers below which control the region.

For more information:
Northeast Zone
c/o 199 Larch Street Suite 404
Sudbury, ON P3E 5P9
(705) 966-0563 (Oct-May)
(705) 966-2315 (June - Sept)
Greg & Kathy
was....
Knottiii Grotto - 3560
Victoria Harbour, Ontario, Canada
now...
Spanish Angel - 54 ' Meridian 490
Sidney, British Columbia - Canada
Canada

Postby Canada » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:30 am

Ok got my interest. I do not see any reason why you would get lost. Looks like a pretty simple area to navigate around with lots of cities and towns to drop in and ask for directions :D

Ritchies.jpg
Greg & Kathy
was....
Knottiii Grotto - 3560
Victoria Harbour, Ontario, Canada
now...
Spanish Angel - 54 ' Meridian 490
Sidney, British Columbia - Canada
Canada

Postby RLWSNOOK » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:26 pm

Canada wrote:Ok got my interest. I do not see any reason why you would get lost. Looks like a pretty simple area to navigate around with lots of cities and towns to drop in and ask for directions :D

Ritchies.jpg

hahaha. Not so much.

Thanks for the recommendation of calling the fishing lodge (that's actually where we are going). Didn't think to call them and ask.

Navionics has a list of lakes in ON that have been charted, and it wasn't on the list. but who knows.

Just wanted to make sure there wasn't a Canadian company that provides map chips, that I was missing out on.

We are going to have a paper map... but considering we decided to go to this lake because a float trip had a limit on the weight of gear you could take (aprox 100 pounds each) and a case of beer weighs 22 pounds... I think we need every help we can get to know where we are and not get lost. :P
2006 Regal 2000
2006 Regal 1900 Sold
RLWSNOOK

Postby SGilbert » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:56 pm

" I think we need every help we can get to know where we are and not get lost. "

Especially with all that beer! Catch a lot of fish!
Steve
"L'Chiam"
'00 Regal 2660 (2765) T/Merc 4.3's
SGilbert
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby RLWSNOOK » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:28 am

SGilbert wrote:" I think we need every help we can get to know where we are and not get lost. "

Especially with all that beer! Catch a lot of fish!

Haha, yup! Thanks!!
2006 Regal 2000
2006 Regal 1900 Sold
RLWSNOOK

Postby edward124 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:59 am

RLWSNOOK wrote:
Canada wrote:Ok got my interest. I do not see any reason why you would get lost. Looks like a pretty simple area to navigate around with lots of cities and towns to drop in and ask for directions :D

Ritchies.jpg

hahaha. Not so much.

Thanks for the recommendation of calling the fishing lodge (that's actually where we are going). Didn't think to call them and ask.

Navionics has a list of lakes in ON that have been charted, and it wasn't on the list. but who knows.

Just wanted to make sure there wasn't a Canadian company that provides map chips, that I was missing out on.

We are going to have a paper... but considering we decided to go to this lake because a float trip had a limit on the weight of gear you could take (aprox 100 pounds each) and a case of beer weighs 22 pounds... I think we need every help we can get to know where we are and not get lost. :P

Hi Rlwsnook,
I have been using the same app Novionics for last 1 year and this is the best app i have ever got.
Last edited by edward124 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
edward124

Postby shan1996 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:56 am

RLWSNOOK wrote:I'm going fishing up in Canada.. And I'm looking to get some small GPS device to use on Lake Biscotasi, ON Canada.

I'm worried about getting lost on the lake. So I need some kind of small chart plotter\gps with a chip for the good wooden maps of lakes. If anyone from canada has any advice where to look that'd be a big help.

Hello RLWSNOOK,

It's imperative to ensure that you have the most a la mode programming on your GPS. On the off chance that there are any bugs in your GPS programming an upgrade will settle that. In the event that there are more exceptional base maps, an overhaul will settle that, as well. You can get redesigns just by taking after the directions at the producer's site. Garmin is one well known handheld GPS producer which has WebUpdater, a program that you download to your home PC that will search for new redesigns, which you can then put on your GPS whenever you interface your GPS to your PC.

Handheld GPS units are extraordinary for taking out in the forested areas, climbing, geocaching or paddling on the water. Here are some little tips that will help you get the most out of your handheld GPS unit and ensure that you don't come up short on battery power or end up lost since you don't have the most cutting-edge programming.
shan1996

Postby hopewar » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:54 am

I have the same thing to say as the second comment....
http://www.soran.edu.iq
hopewar

Return to Gear