What GPS/Fishfinder

Information exchange for boating equipment.

What GPS/Fishfinder

Postby burls » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:17 pm

I might be getting ahead of myself hear but I am looking for a mid priced GPS/fish finder combo. I have been recommended Lowrance and Garmin.
Any fishermen out there with experience and knowledge on these units?
1999 regal 2100LSR bowrider

Barellan Point QLD
Australia
burls

Re: What GPS/Fishfinder

Postby sniksich » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:42 pm

I've been looking at a few also. All the guys in my area rave about the Garmin (especially for fresh water lakes). The maps are all included with the base unit (not extra costs) and are impeccable. I've been looking at the 73SV and 73DV (I believe 74SV and 74DV are the coastal ocean areas / maps. The 53XX / 93XX models are just different screen sizes).

My question to anyone who knows... the 73DV WITH Chirp and 73SV WITHOUT Chirp (on sale at Cabellas) are about the same price. DV = Down View and SV = Down View AND Side View. What's more important? The clarity of the enhanced 'chirp' technology (and only getting the downview model) or having sideview in addition to downview but not having the Chirp technology? The price difference seems to be about $300 (at Cabelas anyway). Both include the transducer. Anyone have any thoughts? The 73SV without chirp is last year's model which I'm sure is why its on sale.

My area of use is southern Lake Michigan and depths of 100' or less.

I can't get through to Cabelas website at work but her's some links to different unit online.

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-echoM ... P4640.aspx
http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-echoM ... P4643.aspx
sniksich

Postby steve & dot » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:05 pm

Will probably get lots of opinions.
We have a Garmin 53dv with the preloaded lake maps and it's great for depth and GPS- haven't used it for fishing. Price was reasonable and it's a good size. Clarity is impressive. Even at 40mph, I get reliable depth readings. We spend a lot of time on the Chesapeake or Smith Mountain Lake and we'd be lost without it- literally. I did have to upgrade the map in order to cover the Chesapeake Bay. This unit can do much more than what we use it for. Toying with the idea of tying into our Volvo Penta harness for motor/fuel readings right on the Garmin (interface adapter req'd, see other people's posts).

Regardless of what you decide. Shop around. Prices vary greatly!
2007 Regal 1900 - 4.3GXi V/P SX
South Jersey
steve & dot

Postby burls » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:59 pm

I was recommended the Lowrance 7

Not sure which model now, might have to do some more reading into chirp and down and side viewing as l don't really know much about this tech

Barellan Point QLD
Australia
burls

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:20 pm

It really comes down to user interface. Both manufactures are highly recommended and make good equipment. You have to dig through the marketing speak and talk with some people who actually fish. They both use "Chirp" technology. This is where more than a single frequency is used. In fishing, different types of fish will respond to different frequencies better. This will give you a better idea of what is down there and you can ID even some types of fish based on the frequency that is reflected.

Many different consumer advances in the last few years. The down/side view systems are only good at low speeds and in shallower water. This is why when NOAA does searches with side scan sonar they use a metal fish that is towed behind the boat so that it can go down deep. With a transducer attached to the hull you can't lower it down anymore. Normally the frequencies for side scan, is around 800kHz, which limits the distance.
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby burls » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:26 pm

Thanks Chris
After more research I was tending toward the Lowrance 7hook combo but after seeing it live I think it will be too large for my bow riders dash so prob go the hook5

Barellan Point QLD
Australia
burls

Postby firebird58 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:26 am

Hi,

There are many good units on the market, I have had Lowrance, Raymarine, Garmin, but the most reliable has been Humminbird. I find I use Down Scanning more than side scanning.
firebird58

Postby sniksich » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:31 am

Good information here...

I really like the Garmin units. I'm just trying to decide the following:

A Chart / Sonar / Downview Only model with CHIRP

or

A Chart / Sonar / Downview / Sideview model w/o CHIRP

Thoughts? Firebird... do you use Sideview at all?

Steve&Dot... How do you feel about the 5" screen size? If you had it to do over would you go 7"?

Thanks so much!

Scott
sniksich

Postby steve & dot » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:54 am

5" is good for us, on our little boat a 7" would look like overkill. I can see everything on the 5" and zoom in or out as needed. I use the split screen so I can see the bottom depth contours (handy for narrow channels). I like that I can adjust the size of the split screens- larger map area, smaller fish finder area. If we had a larger boat, I might go with the 7", just so I have plenty of map when using the split screen.
South Jersey
steve & dot

Postby sniksich » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:21 am

Steve and Dot... I've got a Commodore 2665 and I was thinking the same as far as the size. I think I'd like the larger screen size but it might cover my dash gauges too much. The 5" might be the better 'fit' for space that I have.

Did you get the 'chirp' model?
sniksich

Postby cbsmith » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:51 am

I have a Garmin 52DV, 5", and it isn't a problem to see and zoom in and out.
2014 Regal 1900
2010 Sea-Doo GTX 155
2007 Sea-Doo Wake 215
cbsmith

Postby Me2660 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:04 pm

IMG_1105 B.jpg
I went with the 7" and like not having to zoom as much. Room was an issue so I mounted on a pedestal.
2001 Regal 2660 Commandore
Me2660

Postby steve & dot » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:25 pm

sniksich, we did not get the chirp model.
I didn't want to drill holes in the helm in case we want to take the Garmin with us for our next boat.
So I ended up removing our stock depth gauge (didn't work anyhow), moving the oil pressure and voltmeter gauges over one spot and using that empty gauge hole for mounting the Garmin on a heavy duty RAM mount. Worked out well. Takes the choppy water no problem and the admiral can also view it. I can put the stock gauge back in where the Garmin is if I want to. As you can see, a 7" unit would have looked funny on our little helm. The picture is deceiving, it does not extend into the companionway. After this picture was taken, I replaced the 3-1/2" long RAM arm with a stubby 1-1/2" one for a lower profile.
Attachments
Garmin 7r.jpg
South Jersey
steve & dot

Postby burls » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:36 am

Steve

I like the idea of your mounting, my depth sounder doesn't work either. Looking at the pics posted l def will be going with a 5.
So that's one decision out of the way, now hmmm............

Barellan Point QLD
Australia
burls

Postby burls » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:21 am

I got the elite Ti 5 today and hopefully mount it up in a few days or so. This model has wifi so l can view on the larger iPad if l want so that's a big plus.

Steve can you advise more details on the mount you used maybe a link to purchase or something, I'm very interested in doing it like you have

Barellan Point QLD
Australia
burls

Postby steve & dot » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:46 pm

Nice!

Here's what I did.
We didn't want to make any holes in the dash in case we decided to sell the boat in the future and take the Garmin with us. The factory depth gauge (which doesn't work) was located in the 3rd gauge spot. We pulled the factory depth gauge and moved both the Oil and Volts gauges over one spot. Bought a heavy duty aluminum Ram Mount (#RAM-111) from Amazon ($35). This has a surface mount 1-1/2” diameter ball, a 6” x 2” flat mounting plate with 1-1/2” ball and a double socket arm. The surface mount Ram ball has 2 7/16" diameter base and the mounting holes just clear the opening for the factory gauge. I drilled a 3/8" hole in the Ram ball base for the Garmin cables to pass thru and touched up the paint on the ball base. I used fender washers and nyloc nuts and the ball was secured to the helm. I also added one more screw at the dash since it’s plastic and flexes. I cut the 6” x 2” Ram mounting plate to fit the flat area on the back of the plastic Garmin quick mount, touched-up the paint and secured with countersunk flat head screws and epoxy. Tied-in the power to fuse box and fished the transducer cable down into the ski locker. I cut a new access hole in the ski locker bottom for the new transducer- which is actually designed for transom mounting. Sanded the hull in preparation for transducer epoxy. Used plumbers putty to make a dike about ¾” deep, filled it with 5 minute epoxy, set the transducer in and made sure it was level. Made a cover and sealed it. We ran all summer and the Garmin stayed right where it was clamped.

I should mention, when I cut the hole for the transducer, the 3" cavity between the ski locker and hull was full of water. I sucked about 3 gallons out and let it dry. The fiberglass around the factory transducer cover was wavy and there were 3 or 4 gaps under that cover. The previous owner had a rubber plug in the ski locker drain and any water that collected in the ski locker went down and filled that cavity. I made a new larger cover for that factory transducer and sealed it well. Good luck.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000 ... UTF8&psc=1
Attachments
Garmin 1.JPG
Garmin 3.JPG
Garmin 4r.jpg
Garmin 5.JPG
Garmin 6.JPG
Garmin 8r.jpg
Garmin 9.JPG
Garmin 10r.jpg
Garmin 12r.jpg
South Jersey
steve & dot

Postby burls » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:32 pm

Thanks Steve for the great brief on your install. It always amazes me how others think outside the box.

An update for me is l bought a Lowrance Ti 5 as they offered it at a great deal as they didn't have any hoo5's in stock. In addition to the Hook they have touch screen and wifi compatible with iPads so l don't need the 7. After many attempts, l came up with fitting to the Navvies side using the cup holder position. I will update with photos when it is fitted up.

A question for those in the know.
I wanted to fit the transducer to the LH side to avoid getting kicked etc from those using the ladder, but all info l have read so far says this is a no no. Now I understand the reasons given but has anyone done it or how bad would it be if I did fit it there???

Barellan Point QLD
Australia
burls

Postby steve & dot » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:04 pm

No problem, happy to offer any suggestions. The "hook" sounds like a cool feature.
Is your hull a FasTrac design? If so, no might have trouble with the transducer mounted on transom.
South Jersey
steve & dot

Postby burls » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:59 pm

The hull is a fastback and from the video l have seen it will be right in the bubbles which won't be good. I am interested to hear how others have mounted theirs

Barellan Point QLD
Australia
burls

Return to Gear