Theft-Alert devices

Information exchange for boating equipment.

Theft-Alert devices

Postby Rpontual » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:15 pm

When traveling with the boat, I put a luggage tracker ("LEV") inside the boat. This device is charged via USB and relies on cell coverage to transmit location. The battery last 5-7 days.

Today when debating technology for increasing the safety against boat theft, people brought up the "SPOT TRACE" device as a much better solution. You can buy one for $99 plus yearly service fee of $99. The device uses GPS and Satellite communication to track whatever you have. Allegedly, the battery lasts more than four months.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=128

After reading about it and listening to others, I decided that it is worth having one of these and use it all the time. Anyway, I am sharing here in case you guys are looking for something similar.
Romulo

2018 Bavaria R40 Coupe, Diesel
2015 Regal 35SC, Diesel - SOLD
Rpontual

Re: Theft-Alert devices

Postby Kikaboo » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:38 pm

I use SirenMarine. A bit more expensive than what you posted but there are additional features like battery level monitoring, high water in bildge, boat entry alert in addition to the geo tracker via GPS. Easy DIY install and for me it's worked out great especially since I'm normally anywhere from 30-50 minutes away from my Regal.
Rob
New York
2015 Regal 32 Express. T-Merc 5.7 Seacore (Cloud Nine)
2018 Achilles LSI-290E (Cloud One)
2011 Stingray 215LR. Merc 5.0
Facebook group page: Cloud Nine NY
Kikaboo

Postby Rpontual » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:25 pm

Kikaboo wrote:I use SirenMarine. A bit more expensive than what you posted but there are additional features like battery level monitoring, high water in bildge, boat entry alert in addition to the geo tracker via GPS. Easy DIY install and for me it's worked out great especially since I'm normally anywhere from 30-50 minutes away from my Regal.

I like the high water in bilge monitoring and the other features. I dislike that it requires to be within cell phone range. The Spot Trace uses satellite to get location, GPS, and satellite to transmit information and notify user of usage. Now I want to monitor high water as well as the boat, I need more research. :?
Romulo

Rpontual

Postby BK2017 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:38 am

Glad I came across this! thanks for sharing!
BK2017

Postby catalina_mike » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:18 am

Remember Spot needs line of sight to work. I used one on a vessel delivery and it worked great to let my wife know where we were heading to Mexico. I had to be outside on the deck to get sat lock. The same reason you have a GPS antenna on your roof for acquiring the signals.
dolce far niente
Sold and sad (2009 4460)
Sea Ray 185 (Lake Arrowhead), Duffy B&B (Booze and Battery)
1999 Albin 28TE
catalina_mike
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby Rpontual » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:19 pm

catalina_mike wrote:Remember Spot needs line of sight to work. I used one on a vessel delivery and it worked great to let my wife know where we were heading to Mexico. I had to be outside on the deck to get sat lock. The same reason you have a GPS antenna on your roof for acquiring the signals.

Mine works from inside the boat, there is no need for line of sight if by that you mean having to expose the unit.
Romulo

Rpontual

Postby catalina_mike » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:28 pm

Rpontual wrote:
catalina_mike wrote:Remember Spot needs line of sight to work. I used one on a vessel delivery and it worked great to let my wife know where we were heading to Mexico. I had to be outside on the deck to get sat lock. The same reason you have a GPS antenna on your roof for acquiring the signals.

Mine works from inside the boat, there is no need for line of sight if by that you mean having to expose the unit.

From the spot website. https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=100 "In Important tips".

IMPORTANT TIPS
SPOT needs a clear view of the sky to obtain
a GPS signal and provide the most accurate
location information. It is not reliable
indoors, in a cave, or in very dense woods.

You might have gotten lucky however that was not my experience with the product. The vessel had several layers of fiberglass between myself and the sky.
dolce far niente
Sold and sad (2009 4460)
Sea Ray 185 (Lake Arrowhead), Duffy B&B (Booze and Battery)
1999 Albin 28TE
catalina_mike

Postby cbsmith » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:55 pm

Fiberglass doesn't impede gps signals very much at all. Wood and metal will though.
2014 Regal 1900
2010 Sea-Doo GTX 155
2007 Sea-Doo Wake 215
cbsmith

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:35 pm

Mike, normally and I will say normally the GPS signal through fiberglass is simple. What can cause issues in the low power burst back to the sats on the transmit side. It can be a bit hit and miss. On my Mexico to Costa Rica trip I simply put the unit by the window. For about 90% of the trip it worked fine. The longest time I was without any trace was about 6 hours, trying to transmit every 5 mins. Out VSAT system was also right in the middle of two sats and was having problems as well as the eastern and western sats were low on the horizon and as the boat pitched up and down it would loose lock. Putting the unit up by the bow in a cabinet would work fine, even ideally up at the bow under the dash board would be good as well. A bit of playing around and running around will tell you what area will be ok vs others.

But overall its the transmit burst up more than the GPS receive side that gets into trouble. Heck on the newer boats Regal would always use the under deck mounts for the GPS antennas under the windless area, and always worked fine. I also put a GPS antenna in my dashboard on my car as well.
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Return to Gear