Who makes the Regal trailer/mooring covers?

Information exchange for boating equipment.

Who makes the Regal trailer/mooring covers?

Postby Rob » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:05 pm

Hello everyone. We just picked up our 2015 Regal 2300, and I'm looking to get the trailering and mooring cover for it. We have the power tower, so I'm interested in the one that fits over the tower in the down position, and ratchets into a snug position just beneath the rubrail.

I've read elsewhere that a cover manufacturer in Connecticut makes them for Regal. Does anyone know who they are, and if they sell direct to consumers? I'm hoping to get one fairly quickly and thought that this might be easier than tracking one down through a dealer.

Thank you,

Rob

Finger Lakes Region, NY
'15 Regal 2300
'98 Sea Ray 190 (traded)
Thanks,

Rob
Finger Lakes Region, NY
'15 Regal 2300, VP 300, DPS
'98 Sea Ray 190 Bowrider, Merc 5L, Alpha I, 21" SS prop (sold)
'00 Sea Doo GTX Millenium (sold)
Rob

Re: Who makes the Regal trailer/mooring covers?

Postby cbsmith » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:46 pm

I am bringing my 1900 home this weekend from storage and can see who made the Regal mooring cover I have.
2014 Regal 1900
2010 Sea-Doo GTX 155
2007 Sea-Doo Wake 215
cbsmith

Postby SGilbert » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:46 pm

Likely either TaylorMade or Great Lakes Boat Top.
Steve
"L'Chiam"
'00 Regal 2660 (2765) T/Merc 4.3's
SGilbert
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby Rob » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:56 pm

Thank you both for replying. If you are able to see the manufacturer cbsmith, I would appreciate your efforts in posting that. I have checked with some cover vendors and while they all say they can make one, I didn't get the notion that any of them was THE manufacturer that Regal uses.

Rob
Thanks,

Rob
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Rob

Postby aviator1 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:46 pm

Fairly certain its commercial sewing in CT that makes the cover (at least this is who made mine on my 1900).

I can attest that after MANY miles going between CT and NY, the cover looks brand new and hugs the boat like no other cover.

I wouldnt go with an aftermarket, this cover is too good to not use.
2017 Regal 1900 ES Gen 5
2013 Regal 1900
2006 Sugar Sand Tango
2004 Sugar Sand Tango
1996 Regal Sebring 195
Cessna 152
Pipper Archer
Life is too short not to live it...
aviator1

Postby Rob » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:38 pm

I'll reach out to them.
Thanks,

Rob
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Rob

Postby F1d108 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:59 pm

It is Commercial Sewing in Torrington CT. I have checked their website and it pretty much says thanks for stopping by we only sell to Manufacterers.
F1d108

Postby Rob » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:52 pm

Thank you so much for the follow up. I looked at their site last night and emailed an inquiry but hadn't heard back; hadn't seen the bit about only selling to OEMs

I'll plan to get the dealer to order the cover.
Thanks,

Rob
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Rob

Postby Rob » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:22 pm

Quick update. Commercial Sewing did indeed get back to me via email. Provided loads of information about fabrics, pile system, and cinch mechanism, and yes, told me that they don't sell direct to consumer. I just wanted to make sure I relayed how they made an effort to get me the information requested even though it won't result in a direct sale. Gotta love that.
Thanks,

Rob
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Rob

Postby cbsmith » Sun May 01, 2016 6:43 am

My 1900 cover is made by Ameritex which is part of the Taylormade group.
2014 Regal 1900
2010 Sea-Doo GTX 155
2007 Sea-Doo Wake 215
cbsmith

Postby Rob » Sun May 01, 2016 6:51 am

Thanks for the follow up. I will run down that lead too, and have initiated the request for ordering info with a dealer as well.
Thanks,

Rob
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Rob

Postby On Holiday » Mon May 02, 2016 3:17 pm

The previous owner of my boat had a custom cover made for trailering.

I would like to have the sides extend further down to protect the hull from UV rays when stored on a lift.

Check out some local canvas shops for a custom cover, don't let custom mean expensive.
2006 Regal 2400
On Holiday

Postby Rob » Mon May 02, 2016 4:14 pm

Thanks for the photo. I agree with UV protection for the sides, but need to balance coverage against ability to use in the water. Probably going to wind up with two covers; one that covers down to just below the rub rail for mooring and trailering and one that covers low on the sides for winter storage. Nice setup; truck and boat look great.
Thanks,

Rob
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Rob

Postby On Holiday » Tue May 03, 2016 7:57 am

Rob wrote:Thanks for the photo. I agree with UV protection for the sides, but need to balance coverage against ability to use in the water. Probably going to wind up with two covers; one that covers down to just below the rub rail for mooring and trailering and one that covers low on the sides for winter storage. Nice setup; truck and boat look great.

Thanks, where in the FL are you from? I originally hale from Canandaigua Lake area and spend time on Seneca Lake.
2006 Regal 2400
On Holiday

Postby GoVols » Tue May 03, 2016 8:13 am

I had to store my boat on a surface lot all season last year and wanted it to be covered by more than just the cockpit covers. I asked Regal to quote me the trailer / storage cover and it came back at ~$1,800. Heck with that! I just used the cockpit covers and, to my surprise, it did extremely well. It kept the cockpit bone dry in the worst of rains and the cover didn't seem to fade any through the season. The boat is safely in my new garage now and out of the elements.

Whenever I trailer it, I remove the covers and the carpets and it's just fine. I haul it close to 1 hour to the lake and back. Not sure really why we need these expensive covers for trailering as the boat will experience all the same elements it would as if it were on the lake, except the lake water on the hull. Another thing, if the cover isn't propertly installed, the friction from the cover rubbing the hull over the period of several hours of driving at highway speeds can burn right though your gel coat.

IMO, save the money and pay for the boat to be detailed each Fall before putting her to bed for her winter nap.
Sea. P. A. - 2014 Regal 1900 ES - current
Red Barron - 2004 Regal 1800 LSR - previous
Lake-A-Wish - 2006 16X66 Sailabration Houseboat - previous

--What the government GIVES to one person, they must first TAKE from someone else!
GoVols

Postby cbsmith » Tue May 03, 2016 8:36 am

GoVols wrote:I had to store my boat on a surface lot all season last year and wanted it to be covered by more than just the cockpit covers. I asked Regal to quote me the trailer / storage cover and it came back at ~$1,800. Heck with that! I just used the cockpit covers and, to my surprise, it did extremely well. It kept the cockpit bone dry in the worst of rains and the cover didn't seem to fade any through the season. The boat is safely in my new garage now and out of the elements.

Whenever I trailer it, I remove the covers and the carpets and it's just fine. I haul it close to 1 hour to the lake and back. Not sure really why we need these expensive covers for trailering as the boat will experience all the same elements it would as if it were on the lake, except the lake water on the hull. Another thing, if the cover isn't propertly installed, the friction from the cover rubbing the hull over the period of several hours of driving at highway speeds can burn right though your gel coat.

IMO, save the money and pay for the boat to be detailed each Fall before putting her to bed for her winter nap.

It's funny how they gouge us when we want a cover after the fact. When I bought my 1900 the cover was included in the order from the factory and it was a $700 option.
2014 Regal 1900
2010 Sea-Doo GTX 155
2007 Sea-Doo Wake 215
cbsmith

Postby steve & dot » Tue May 03, 2016 11:15 am

We had the same concerns. Our boat is a used 1900 and this is our first year with it. Wanted better coverage than the Regal mooring covers since it would be sitting in our yard when not in use. Regal dealer quoted us $950 for the factory cover. Long term, WE were thinking about adding a carport extension onto our existing garage and storing the boat there so didn't want to spend the 950. (Secretly, I'm thinking I'd prefer to build pole barn just for the boat ;) ). But we needed some kinda cover in the meantime. Ended up buying a Classic Accessories Storm Pro cover from Amazon for $139. 5yr warranty. Supposed to be trailer-able, but like you guys said, didn't see the need to trailer it covered and take a chance on gelcoat rubbing. I bought one size bigger and it covers half of the dark blue hull. So far, so good. Keeps it clean and dry, looks neat and tidy in the yard. Didn't cost much and buys us some time until we figure out the long term. I whisper "pole barn" over and over to my wife while she sleeps . . . .
2007 Regal 1900 - 4.3GXi V/P SX
South Jersey
steve & dot

Postby Rob » Tue May 03, 2016 11:43 am

Good discussion. We are going with the bow and cockpit canvas for now but on my old Sea Ray we chalked up the gunwales quite a bit so I promised myself to save some buffer time and cover just past the rub rail if possible. One thing is for sure, there are tons of options.

On Holiday, we boat on Cayuga. Fell in love with the area when one of the kids was in college in Ithaca, so we moved to the area later. Had to wait until she graduated so it wouldn't be too stalkerish. Been on Seneca a few times too; beautiful lake. Love that little dockside pub at the southern end.
Thanks,

Rob
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Rob

Postby On Holiday » Tue May 03, 2016 12:35 pm

Lots of nice places to eat on the FL. I wish the FL were in a warmer state as it takes a long time for the water to warm up. Seneca Lake in August tops out in the mid to low 70's.
2006 Regal 2400
On Holiday

Postby wjh » Wed May 04, 2016 5:57 am

Regarding a travel cover - I use mine when I will be pulling the boat in the rain. The attached picture is just before heading to Lake Gaston, an 8 hour drive for us, for vacation. It rained almost the entire way. When we got there, the interior of the boat was nice and clean (and dry). I find that pulling a boat in the rain will get road grime in the carpet and upholstery which is tough to get completely clean and does nothing to extend the life and appearance of my boat. I have pulled boat with this cover many times and have yet to have a problem with gel coat. Just my experience.
Attachments
20130706_081150_resized_2.jpg
wjh

Next

Return to Gear