New Member New Regal!

Show off your boat and post a picture or 2!

New Member New Regal!

Postby onewhippedpuppy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:25 am

We basically live at the lake in the summers, and decided that with three growing kids and a large extended family that it was time to upgrade. My neighbors had already asked for first dibs on our 2004 Monterey 23' bowrider when we decided to sell, so after knocking that out in February my casual boat search got very serious. I flew to Austin, TX to look at a Formula (crap), Richmond, VA to look at a Cobalt (crap), we drove to Lake of the Ozarks to look at a lot of crap at dealerships, looked at and called on dozens of boats nationwide, and then last week my wife found a nice one-owner 2009 Regal 2700 with only 115 hours on a random boat website. I received very few pictures from the not very internet savvy seller, but he sounded like a great guy and the price was worth taking a chance. Drove back to Lake of the Ozarks and ended up buying this little gem on Friday night. No trailer, but I found a 2012 trailer designed exactly for the Regal 2700 in matching colors being sold about one mile from our hotel, so I bought it on Saturday morning. It was meant to be. Love love love this thing, can't wait for summer!

For the real boat geeks who like detail, it's a 2009 Regal 2700 ES with the Volvo 5.7 GXi 320 HP and the Duoprop drive. I had read a lot about the Fastrac hull efficiency and how Regal can make do with a smaller HP motor than comparably sized boats, and I might be a believer after this. The 320 HP Volvo moves the 5,800 lb (dry) 2700 with ease. Honestly it pops onto plane quicker than the Formula 260BR and Chaparral 276 SSX that I tested, both of which had a 496 MAG. I didn't try the top end but it was cruising along at an indicated 45 MPH with my wife and I at a little over 1/2 throttle, which is more than enough for my use. The trailer is a Heritage with surge disc brakes on both axles, it honestly was far easier to tow than I expected. My 2013 F150 Ecoboost with max tow package had no issues whatsoever, even on the hilly 65-70 MPH highways around the lake. I do plan to add an electronic brake controller so I don't have to worry about slippery boat ramps.
Matt J. - 2009 Regal 2700ES
Past - 2004 Tahoe Q4, 2004 Monterey 223SSi
onewhippedpuppy

Re: New Member New Regal!

Postby onewhippedpuppy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:39 pm

Regal 2.jpg
Regal 1.jpg
onewhippedpuppy

Postby Mburrus » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:08 pm

I think you’ll love your 2700. I owned a 2014 model with the VP 5.7 Gxi, 320 H.P., just like yours. It’s a great boat and the perfect engine for it. I only owned mine for one season since I was enthralled by, and immediately bought, a 2015 Regal 2800 as soon as the new model came out.

So, I’ve owned 3 new Regals now, as well as a couple of Cobalts, a Crownline, etc. I’m as big of a Regal fan as you’ll find. Welcome to the Regal family!
Mburrus

Postby fatmattyd » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:13 am

Good looking boat and great find on the trailer as well. Welcome to the forum. Lots of helpful people on here and tons of experience.

As for the brake controller on your truck, unless you've got an electric over hydraulic brake setup on your trailer, don't bother. If it is the case that your trailer only has surge brakes, there is no electric brake signal sent to the trailer.
That is to say, unless you want to add the controller for different reasons.

Good luck,
-Matt
fatmattyd
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby kdubya » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:32 am

Congratulations! Great boat!

We joined the Regal family a few years ago and have never looked back! We have the same engine / out drive setup. The boat has given us the lake back on busy weekends, is a good water sports platform, and holds family and friends with ease! Where will you be boating?

If you are looking for a great cover, contact Aurora Canvas https://www.auroracanvas.com/

This company can build a cover that will cover you entire boat!
The Wilson's
"Memory Maker"
Kansas City / Kimberling City, MO
Regal 2700 ES
Ecoboost F150
kdubya

Postby onewhippedpuppy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:13 am

Thanks all!

Mburrus, I actually like the Regal more than I expected. We looked at a nearly new 2700 several weeks ago at Kelly's Port at Lake of the Ozarks just to get an idea and were really impressed. Having looked at a Formula and multiple Cobalts I really expected a step down, but overall I'm really impressed in the Regal's quality. There are a few little things I've seen that are obvious cost cutting, but overall it seems very well made. It is a much nicer boat than my former Monterey and my friend's Crownline that I maintain.

Matt, I actually already have the Ford OEM trailer brake controller in my truck. I am going to convert the trailer surge brakes to electric control, so I will have electric over hydraulic with disc brakes on both axles. Really the only motivation is to have trailer braking in reverse on a steep boat ramp. When I recovered the boat after purchase on a semi-steep wet ramp, I pulled the trailer out of the water to check the position of the boat and then backed it into the water again to re-position. When backing down the ramp the boat was trying to drag the truck, and I had to take things very slow. There are several boat ramps that we frequent that are as steep if not steeper, so I don't want to take any chances.

kdubya, giving us the lake back is one of my motivations for going bigger. For a day trip we normally go to Winfield or El Dorado, which are both about an hour from Wichita. I don't really like either, but it's better than nothing. We will do several Lake of the Ozarks weekends, but it's 5 hours so too far for a day trip. This year we are also planning on weekends at Beaver (4 hrs) and Skiatook (3 hrs). We also typically take a trip to Wilson and sometimes Milford, both in KS. Are there any lakes near KC that you like? We have family in Overland Park and Liberty, so are in the area often. I'd love to find something 2 hours or less to open up more day boating options, we are going to try Kaw in OK and maybe Clinton near Lawrence.
onewhippedpuppy

Postby kdubya » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:05 am

Beaver Lake is beautiful.

Are there any lakes near KC that you like? Smithville Lake is okay. Everything else around the city is small. We are on Table Rock Lake. It is a drive but it a good fit for the 2700.
The Wilson's
"Memory Maker"
Kansas City / Kimberling City, MO
Regal 2700 ES
Ecoboost F150
kdubya

Postby onewhippedpuppy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:28 am

kdubya wrote:Beaver Lake is beautiful.

Are there any lakes near KC that you like? Smithville Lake is okay. Everything else around the city is small. We are on Table Rock Lake. It is a drive but it a good fit for the 2700.

I've heard from others that Smithville is just "ok", and it gets busy on the weekends. We've been to Table Rock multiple times but never boated it, definitely need to. We've just always gone to Lake of the Ozarks, and they are about the same distance from Wichita.
onewhippedpuppy

Postby Mburrus » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:00 am

Our main home is in Wichita, too. We’ve owned a house at Lake of the Ozarks for 21 years, and were once-a-year vacationers for decades before buying our house. From door-to-door, we have a 4:20 drive (260 miles). We live LOTO!
Mburrus

Postby onewhippedpuppy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:41 am

Mburrus wrote:Our main home is in Wichita, too. We’ve owned a house at Lake of the Ozarks for 21 years, and were once-a-year vacationers for decades before buying our house. From door-to-door, we have a 4:20 drive (260 miles). We live LOTO!

Sounds just like us. We fully plan to purchase a place there once we have the time to fully utilize it. Right now with kids' sports and other activities we just don't have adequate time to make the trip on a regular basis. We typically stay in the state park area near Osage Beach, but should probably explore some areas further West to shorten our drive. It's right at 5 hours for us when pulling a boat.
onewhippedpuppy

Postby Mburrus » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:11 pm

We are as far west and south on the lake as possible - 11 mile mark of the Big Niangua (very close to Okd Kinderhook, HaHa Tonka, Bridal Cave, etc.). It’s a great part of the lake and obviously as close to Wichita as you can get.
Mburrus

Postby Tree80 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:25 am

onewhippedpuppy,

I live in Winfield, and we have a 2017 Regal 2300 RX Surf, Silver/Black in color. I hope to see you out on the lake this summer! We traded our 20ft Chaparral last summer for the new Regal Surf boat and have been very happy Regal owners. Each year we spend a week at Table Rock lake each year by Shellknob, MO as it is much calmer further up the lake from Kimberling City and Branson.
Lake Czech's x5
2017 Regal 2300 RX Surf
Tree80

Postby onewhippedpuppy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:08 am

Tree80 wrote:onewhippedpuppy,

I live in Winfield, and we have a 2017 Regal 2300 RX Surf, Silver/Black in color. I hope to see you out on the lake this summer! We traded our 20ft Chaparral last summer for the new Regal Surf boat and have been very happy Regal owners. Each year we spend a week at Table Rock lake each year by Shellknob, MO as it is much calmer further up the lake from Kimberling City and Branson.

Very cool, I'll keep an eye out! I think the 2700 is about as big as I would attempt on Winfield, I've maybe seen a few pontoons there that are bigger but that's it.
onewhippedpuppy

Postby Muddy Blues » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:57 pm

OWP - Congrats on the new boat. Glad to see another 2700 owner on here.
2007 Regal 2700, 8.1 VP DP
Lake Geneva, WI
Muddy Blues

Return to Show Your Boat