Kohler 5e genset servicing

Site issues and suggestions for improvement.

Kohler 5e genset servicing

Postby mikefloch » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:16 pm

Have the above genset in 2005 regal 2665 Commodore. Want to service the genset now that I got the choke working, albeit manually. Service being replace cooling system fluids and service carb/choke. Would do impeller at same time

Problem is there is not even room to remove the top sound dampening enclosure. I have removed the floor above the genset as well as removed the side enclosure wall and front enclosure door surrounding the genset itself. You need top access to really get to carburateur and fresh water cooling system, however there is no possible way to remove the top part of the enclosure that I can see. Need at least 2 inches more space above the top enclosure wall to just slide/pull it forward

Has anyone determined an easier way to remove the top piece of the genset enclosure to do the above work.

Secondly, assuming one has to loosen genset from the floor area giving one better access, what is involved in removing correct bolts (hopefully all front and accessible). I suspect once I get this done I will alter to top enclosure so it will be easy to remove in future.
mikefloch

Re: Kohler 5e genset servicing

Postby Regal3260 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:31 pm

I've attached a photo of our Kohler 5E genset.
By removing the 5 bolts circled in the photo, the top and left side can be removed. Not sure if you have the bolts in the same location.

Kohler 5e Gen Set.jpg

Sounds like you genset has been crammed into its position.
Will have to look to see how and how many bolts hold the base down.

Mark
Regal 3260
Toronto, ON
Regal3260
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby mikefloch » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:04 am

Thanks Mark..I have the same sound shield and removed the screws indicated. Unfortunately unable to remove top piece as there is no clearance to remove sideways or pull forward over top of the unit.

Looks like identical unit but where located can only see a few bolts securing the unit down at the front, not sure where or how to access any bolts securing the unit, which is mounted on a larger baseboard.

I suspect I will have to move the unit forward (have a few inches) which would then allow room to remove the cover and provide top access to do repairs needed.

Thanks
mikefloch

Postby Regal3260 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:22 am

Not sure where your generator is installed in your engine room. Do you have a picture of it's location. May help us with a visual.

Mark
Regal 3260
Toronto, ON
Regal3260

Return to Suggestion/Problems