Trialer for 28 Express

Questions about towing your boat or boats that can be towed.

Trialer for 28 Express

Postby pnyxxpress » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:06 pm

We are planning to buy a 28 Express. The dealer spec'd out a trailer with 3 axles and a electric surge drum brakes. Is that good enough or overkill.
Thanks....
Regal 28 Express
"Drift Away"
pnyxxpress

Re: Trialer for 28 Express

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:29 pm

Its either electric brakes or surge brakes. The only other is electric over hydraulic normally with disc brakes.

If you are in saltwater DO NOT get drum brakes, only cadmium or stainless disc brakes. Two reasons for that, dunking the electrical magnets in the water is bad, as well as drum brakes you can't wash well enough and will rust very quickly. They are great for travel trailers and horse trailers, but not boat trailers.

If I were you I would make sure you have brakes on all axles or at least two of the three at a minimum. I am all up for having a quality trailer, as most people overlook this when buying a boat. The dealer normally will use the cheapest thing that they can, and you will have breakdowns at the worst time. If you are going to do a lot of moving the boat with the trailer on trips spend the extra money and upsize just a little to get a nice one. If you are just going to use it once a year for a haul out then its not as critical.
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby aviator1 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:34 pm

Stay away from drum brakes, its a nightmare to keep up with them and I have had issues with them in the past. Go with disc brakes like Chris suggested and you can just keep it simple and get disc/surge brakes. They typically come with electricaly actuated reverse valve so you cannot back up the trailer unless the valve is electrically actuated using your car's reverse lights...most care are wired to tow using this set up.
I have about 2100 miles on my trailer with the above set up and the brakes are solid.
2017 Regal 1900 ES Gen 5
2013 Regal 1900
2006 Sugar Sand Tango
2004 Sugar Sand Tango
1996 Regal Sebring 195
Cessna 152
Pipper Archer
Life is too short not to live it...
aviator1

Postby glennr » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:53 pm

I have the same boat with a Phoenix tri axel trailer with surge breaks. I did add a 12 volt wench on front and radial tires and custom rims. Takes about 5 minutes to load boat and wife pull it out of water. Get a lot of attention from other boaters when the remote on wench pulls boat up on trailer. We have hauled our boat all over TN and KY lakes.

Glenn and Linda Riggs
28 Express
Portland,TN
glennr

Return to Tow Your Boat