Need Trailer education for 2800 Bowrider

Questions about towing your boat or boats that can be towed.

Need Trailer education for 2800 Bowrider

Postby Rotarywingpilot » Sun May 29, 2016 1:18 am

I have owned many boats in the past, but all came as a package with trailer.
So I just got whatever came with it.
This time I know the boat I want, but I admit I know diddly squat about trailers.
I want a really good trailer.
Not so concerned about price, but quality.
What brands?
Bunk styles?
Options i should get on it?
Tires and brakes?
Two axles is lots I assume?

Not sure what the boat will weigh with options, water and gas.
Its about 6600 pounds dry.
Getting the optional fridge, grill, bathroom, power seat, power swim platform etc so all be extra weight.
Add 108 gallons of gas, 18 gallons of water, food etc.
I will assume nearly 8k pounds max.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Ps. Yes i just joined and thanks for having me....this will be the first Regal for us.
Rotarywingpilot

Re: Need Trailer education for 2800 Bowrider

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Mon May 30, 2016 2:05 pm

First thing, would be the 2800 is greater than 8.5' which in most states will require a over wide / oversize permit with many restrictions. Just keep that in mind. Beyond that if you are going to use it in salt water an galvanized or aluminum trailer would be needed. In fresh water a steel trailer will work. From a weight perspective an aluminum trailer would be a good bet for sure. It would be a dual axle trailer for something that heavy, and I would make sure you put brakes on both axles, and use disc breaks. Once you get into the larger boats its even good to think about electric over hydraulic brakes as well as they can be controlled in the cab if needed with a brake controller.

Use a bunk trailer, roller trailers don't support the hull near as well as a quality bunk trailer. Make sure you get a spare tire as well. I would over spec the trailer a bit and look at maybe a 10K trailer, if its 6600 dry you figure, you have 108 gallons of fuel so there is another 650ish lbs. Plus all the stuff, and any options and water in the holding tank, you could easily top over 8K, then add in about 1000-1500lbs for the trailer and you are to that 10K number, you might even want to bump into a 12K, but that may throw you into a triple axle trailer.

Brand wise I am not sure, as most of the time it will be local vendors in your area that most dealers get them from.
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby On Holiday » Tue May 31, 2016 9:54 am

Check state towing laws regarding brakes on axles, some allow on only one axle while others require on all axles. I support brakes on all axles. Not sure the cut off for weight when 3 axles are required. I prefer bunks over rollers but that will also depend on the ramps being used. Usually when you reach a certain size you don't worry about trailering as it is slipped, being over 8'-6" will require permits and of course a tow vehicle suitable for this kind of weight.
2006 Regal 2400
On Holiday

Postby catalina_mike » Tue May 31, 2016 5:08 pm

The amount of axles depends on the weight of the load and the capacity of the axles. One of my boats had a option to have two heavy rated or three lighter. More in my opinion is better for stability. My 30' Chaparral had three and was a hand full but the boat did not rock around. My use was really from storage to ramp.. So decide how you are going to use the boat and decide if you need better stability for longer pulls. Like Chris said beam restrictions might limit your use and ability to do what you think you want to do. I found storage within the facility with the ramp so no permits were necessary.
dolce far niente
Sold and sad (2009 4460)
Sea Ray 185 (Lake Arrowhead), Duffy B&B (Booze and Battery)
1999 Albin 28TE
catalina_mike
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby cbsmith » Tue May 31, 2016 5:46 pm

If you have any tight turns in your yard or at the ramp two axles would be better than three. Three will bind up and make tight turns harder than two.
2014 Regal 1900
2010 Sea-Doo GTX 155
2007 Sea-Doo Wake 215
cbsmith

Postby Ryoung » Tue May 31, 2016 8:36 pm

Welcome to ROF!
Would agree to over spec the trailer if you plan to pull the boat much. Our 2400 brochure indicated a 4,100 lbs dry weight. Granted, we have the bigger motor so that adds. Our dual axle trailer carries 6,580 lbs with boat full of fuel + weight transfer to the pulling vehicle as a reference so it is really easy to add weight to the package.
Heavier axles, disc brakes on all wheels, larger and heavier rated tires would be included for a search + those items mentioned previously. Tire blowouts or trailer break downs are no fun while en-route to start or end vacation (btdt). As I've heard said before - "Buy the best and only cry once"!
Roger & Michele
"An Appointment"
'02 Regal 2400, 8.1 Volvo DP
'97 Regal 2100, 5.7 Merc Alpha (Sold)
Ryoung
2012 Regal Owners Supporter

Postby EpicWakeJump » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:25 pm

What everyone says above, I also echo.

As I am researching trailers for my 28 express, there are a few options from whom to buy.

For aluminum: East coast-owens and sons trailers. They are a good group of southern boys and will spend all the time in the world on the phone with you to get you what you need.

For a 12k capacity tandem trailer (meaning, it can carry a load that weighs 12k lbs) I was quoted $6900

West coast: West coast trailers and Pacific Trailers. The gentleman I s/w at west coast trailers quoted me $8310 (plus $300 shipping to me up to San Francisco) for the same set up.

I am awaiting Pacific Trailers response.
2013 Regal 28 Express 300 hp volvo-penta
EpicWakeJump

Return to Tow Your Boat