Venture Commander 5300 Trailer - Bow Keel Damage

Questions about towing your boat or boats that can be towed.

Venture Commander 5300 Trailer - Bow Keel Damage

Postby Rob » Thu May 12, 2016 8:35 pm

Hello everyone,

Well, our new boat has been hauled back to the dealer. The Venture Commander trailer that he set us up on must not have been set up exactly right, as when I was washing her down last weekend, I discovered the gel coat damage pictured below. The only time the boats been wet thus far was when we tested her on the day of purchase, April 23. Happy though that although I had to push a bit, dealer drove two hours to pick up the boat and trailer and haul it back for trailer adjustment and gel coat repair. Hope he comes through as promised.

Anyway, I'm writing to ask if anyone has a Venture trailer in use with a 2300 or other similarly sized Regal. If you do, were there specific mods required? Any photos of the bunk setup, height of bunks, and boat height above cross members?

In my case, I think that the farthest forward member, the one that is straight and not dipped in the photo, is the culprit. I've learned a lot reviewing the forum thus far, but any insights are appreciated greatly. If I learn anything in the process, I'll post an update once I get her back. Right now, I'm thinking that I might add keel rollers to the cross members such that they just touch to keel but don't support lots of weight. We will see what the dealer comes up with; I understand that he is having the trailer rep come visit to make it right.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Straight cross member
image.jpeg
Bow keel gel coat disruption
Thanks,

Rob
Finger Lakes Region, NY
'15 Regal 2300, VP 300, DPS
'98 Sea Ray 190 Bowrider, Merc 5L, Alpha I, 21" SS prop (sold)
'00 Sea Doo GTX Millenium (sold)
Rob

Re: Venture Commander 5300 Trailer - Bow Keel Damage

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Thu May 12, 2016 9:17 pm

Or move the bunks up some more. It appears that they have quite a bit of travel left in them. Not sure how steep of a ramp you have but I have been on a few that are quite steep. Bow roller over that cross bar would help for sure, however if you it it hard on a steep ramp, it will bend the rod and not move anymore and leave rubber parts down the keel as well. ;)
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby Kikaboo » Fri May 13, 2016 1:20 am

Hmmmm. I have a venture trailer and a 22 foot boat. I am away for the week so I can't take any pics but I found this one on the web. Mine looks very similar to this which does look different than your pic. My two front bow guides are much closer together like in the pic. In terms of the main bunks that support the boat, when the boat is loaded, the underside of the hull is a few inches above the fender wheel wells. I've used my trailer on all kinds of ramps, steep and shallow and never had an trouble.
image.jpeg
Rob
New York
2015 Regal 32 Express. T-Merc 5.7 Seacore (Cloud Nine)
2018 Achilles LSI-290E (Cloud One)
2011 Stingray 215LR. Merc 5.0
Facebook group page: Cloud Nine NY
Kikaboo

Postby Kikaboo » Fri May 13, 2016 1:33 am

I found some pics of my boat on the trailer. If you zoom in you might be able to get an idea of bunk and bow guide placement. Not really sure if these pics will help or not. The only thing I can tell from your pic is the bow guides seem to be to far apart.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Postby Rob » Fri May 13, 2016 5:18 am

Everyone, thanks for the photos and comments. I think that you are on to something with the front bunks being too widely spaced. I noticed that on mine, they weren't too far off but weren't even, and now that I see yours, I agree that mine are too far apart. In reviewing all the pics that Google could serve up, I noticed that the front bunks are much closer. Height is harder to tell but I'm sure that plays a role as well. I loved my Shoreland'r trailer I used with my old Sea Ray; never even thought about it mistreating my hull. Hopefully, we will get there with this one too. Will keep you posted as I hear more about what the rep has to say.
Thanks,

Rob
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Rob

Postby Rob » Fri May 27, 2016 7:47 pm

I just thought I'd follow up to close the discussion. Just picked up the boat from the dealer who took it back to complete all repairs before we put in for the summer. They did a nice job of repairing the gel coat, and they did move the front target bunks closer together as several of you had suggested. This raised the front of the hill a small amount, enough that I had to shift the bow stop tower around a bit to realign the scuff plate, roller, and winch belt. Seems all is resolved with the trailer issue.

The other issues in this brand new leftover were a broken dash plate, which they replaced, and a depth finder that wasn't working at all, so they replaced both transducer and gauge. Overall, I'm happy that these tic list items have been addressed and glad to have gotten the boat back today on our wedding anniversary; nice gift.

Now here's the question. When you guys and gals take your boats in for service, do you find it greasy and with boot marks on the seats from mechanics climbing in and out? This drives me crazy to find someone's size 11 print on our white seats!
Thanks,

Rob
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Rob

Postby Kikaboo » Fri May 27, 2016 9:04 pm

Great hear all your trailer and boat issues were resolved. Now time to enjoy it.

I'm terms of the condition of your boat pre and post dealer service, I know what you mean. I've had some places put booties on and take great care, others not so much. I've never said anything but there are many times
my boat goes in perfect and comes back lets just say not as clean.
Rob
New York
Kikaboo

Return to Tow Your Boat