Brakes

Questions about towing your boat or boats that can be towed.

Brakes

Postby ctallstar » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:33 pm

It's getting time that I need new brakes. What does everyone think about the slotted or drilled rotors? Are they really worth the money?
ctallstar

Re: Brakes

Postby another ntmare » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:08 pm

If you are having issues with stopping then the drilled and or slotted rotors will help. These will wear the pads out quicker also but the rotors will not overheat as fast which causes brake fade or loss of braking. If you have a light weight tow vehicle or travel severe downhill grades it may be worth it. I use tow/haul mode so my truck will downshift early using the motor for braking and also keep the rpm's up for pulling a hill.
07' 2665
another ntmare

Postby Kikaboo » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:06 pm

Here is my two cents based on my experience over the years and this may or may not apply to you and your vehicle.

My tow vehicle has a known issue with under engineered brakes. This pretty much means they are too small get get hot especially when towing. I used to tow a 20 foot enclosed trailer and I used to adjust the electronic brake controller to use more of the trailer brakes as opposed to the SUV to try and help the situation. I don't tow that trailer any more but I do tow by boat. My brakes get hot and rotors warp and just don't last more than 2 seasons. As a result over the years I have tried drilled, slotted, drilled and slotted rotors. I have also tried different brands like Brembo. To be honest, none of them made any real significant difference. The best luck I had was with frozen rotors. Those seem to last a bit longer than anything else but are more expensive. I have now switched strategies altogether. Now I used the cheapest rotors and pads and expect to replace them every 18 months. I was almost doing this anyway, but now it costs me less.

BTW...when I tow I drive slow and break softly because I know how quickly my rotors wear out. My double axle trailer has disk breaks on one axle and I have thought about adding brakes to the 2nd axle but as this point its not on my short list of things to do. I'll probably end up going through one more set of rotors/brakes before I bite the bullet and get a new tow vehicle as mine is a 2012.
Rob
New York
2015 Regal 32 Express. T-Merc 5.7 Seacore (Cloud Nine)
2018 Achilles LSI-290E (Cloud One)
2011 Stingray 215LR. Merc 5.0
Facebook group page: Cloud Nine NY
Kikaboo

Postby ctallstar » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:48 pm

Thanks for the feedback. The impression that I've gotten is that the drilled or slotted rotors can reduce some heat but since they wear things out quicker its a bit of a wash.
ctallstar

Postby Blueesx » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:39 pm

What I have found is its all in the pads. Pad wear is more in the pad then rotors it's self, since more aggressive pads wear quicker just like cheap junk pads

On that note if they make ebc truck green stuff pads and their rotors for ur vehicle or Napa top premium rotor and the adoptive one pads. That is what I have had the best luck with and that's what will go one my truck when due after oem stuff gives out

Also wheels being torqued to the right specs by hand will help reduce rotor issues
Blueesx

Postby GoVols » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:59 am

Drilled rotors are not suggested for towing applications, only slotted. The holes through the rotors actually weaken the unit and puts it under further stress when in severe applications, like towing. Slotted rotors are better than standard ones in that they allow the gasses that build up between the rotor and the brake pads to disapate quicker and improves the contact between the pads and the rotor surface.

There was a very noticable difference when I put slotted rotors on my 09 Titan. Looked nice too!
Sea. P. A. - 2014 Regal 1900 ES - current
Red Barron - 2004 Regal 1800 LSR - previous
Lake-A-Wish - 2006 16X66 Sailabration Houseboat - previous

--What the government GIVES to one person, they must first TAKE from someone else!
GoVols

Postby steve & dot » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:20 pm

Take a look at CQUENCE.NET. I've purchased pads and rotors from these folks a few times and found them to be very good. You can get plain, slotted, drilled or drilled & slotted. OEM or premium grades. Also unplated, zinc plated, black electro plated or even gold zinc if you like flash. They are finished-to-order, ship quickly and ship for free. Pads are offered in many performance grades too. I put drilled and slotted zinc plated on my wife's Miata (driven like we stole it! :twisted: ), the zinc keeps them looking new a year later. Keep in mind that the drilled and slotted rotors are right and left specific as they are machines radially.
2007 Regal 1900 - 4.3GXi V/P SX
South Jersey
steve & dot

Postby Rob » Fri May 27, 2016 7:56 pm

If a trailer is equipped with disc brakes on both axles and a surge actuator up front, does that mean that the option for using an electric brake controller doesn't exist? I don't understand how to tell if I could use an electric controller in my tow vehicle but still rely on the surge brakes if towing with another vehicle some of the time.

In case it matters, the trailer is a Venture Commander Series 5400, flat five connector with the reverse lockout solenoid installed. The vehicle is a 2013 Toyota Sequoia SR5.

Thank you.
Thanks,

Rob
Finger Lakes Region, NY
'15 Regal 2300, VP 300, DPS
'98 Sea Ray 190 Bowrider, Merc 5L, Alpha I, 21" SS prop (sold)
'00 Sea Doo GTX Millenium (sold)
Rob

Postby Mischief Managed » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:11 pm

The biggest upgrade you can make to stock-size brakes is fresh, high-performance fluid. Old fluid boils (fades) at much lower temperatures that new fluid and buying the best gives and even higher boiling point.
Raymond NH, USA

Mischief Managed
2000 2550 LSC
7.4 MPI Bravo 3
Mischief Managed

Return to Tow Your Boat