Dinghy Davits

Dinghy Davits

Postby Haliburton » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:31 pm

I am a new Regal owner.(2005 4260) I have owned 5 Carvers in the past. The Regal I just purchased came with a Hurley Davit system. Has anyone had any experience with this system? My dinghy is a 10 ft Zodiac with a 15 hp Yamaha. I have not finished installing the system as of yet (Waiting for pins to arrive) but it seems the swim platform is to high out of the water for this system to work properly.
Haliburton

Re: Dinghy Davits

Postby DogDaze » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:30 am

Hello,

Welcome to the Regal Owners Forum and congratulations on your new Regal.. (btw, that's a very nice boat) ;)

I know Rommer has a Hurley Davit on his Regal and I understand it to work very well.. we purchased a 3575 CY (aka BrandX) and we just added a Hurley Davit a few weeks ago.. on the CY, I'm able to use the optional straps to mount the davit to the SS hand rail on the back edge of the swim platform so as to NOT have to drill any holes for the mounts.. (though I do have the mounts and the pins you mentioned - should I ever wish to drill the holes and mount it w/them) The downside of the straps and the mount I opted to use is that we can't pull the pins to remove the davit.. and it's not quickly removable as I'd have to unbolt it as opposed to pulling pins.

The davit seems to work OK at the dock.. with the process of just selling our 280 Regal, we've not yet had a chance to take the new DDII away from the dock yet.. but I anticipate that it'll work OK..

Know that you don't want the dinghy/davit too low to the water back there - as you don't want to drag it in the water when going up or coming down off plane.. I actually purchased our davit from a guy with a Portofino who had to take it off as he couldn't get on/off plane w/o washing the dinghy off the davit.. the swim platform on his boat was simply too close to the water for the Hurley to work for him.

Tonya at Hurley is AWESOME to work with.. I'd contact her directly if you have any doubts or questions as to if the Hurley is OK for your Regal.. she'll need to know the height off the water etc...
ALIM1571_a.JPG
Joe & Sheryl
Dog Daze - 1989 Regal 280 (SOLD)
Home Port: Cedar Point
-- The Rockin' Roller Coast

Dog Daze II - 1998 3575 Cruisers Yachts
DogDaze
Regal Owners Supporter

Postby LuvnLifeII » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:50 am

I installed the hurley davit system last year on my 3760 and it works great and a number of our friends that have similar boats use the same system. Originally I had it connected to the swimplatform rail but this spring I mounted it directly to the swimplatform so I could easily remove it when we were not taking the dinghy. Your issue may be the weight of the 15 HP engine and trying to pull that on to the davit system. Basically the tips of the davit system should just reach into the water or even be slighly above the water. The system does require some stength to be able to pull the dinghy on to the boat.

Good luck
Luv'n Life IV
http://luvntheregallife.blogspot.com
2003 Carver 466
2008 Regal 3760
2004 Regal 3350
1999 Regal 242
LuvnLifeII
Regal Owners Supporter

Postby nawtical1 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:26 am

Welcome to the site. Do you have any pics of the new boat?
WARNER
"Sol Poniente"
2004 3860 Hard Top
2005 Crowline 216 LS 350 Magnum Bravo III
310 Rib

Slidell La.
nawtical1
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby DogDaze » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:40 am

LuvnLifeII wrote:I installed the hurley davit system last year on my 3760 and it works great and a number of our friends that have similar boats use the same system. Originally I had it connected to the swimplatform rail but this spring I mounted it directly to the swimplatform so I could easily remove it when we were not taking the dinghy. Your issue may be the weight of the 15 HP engine and trying to pull that on to the davit system. Basically the tips of the davit system should just reach into the water or even be slighly above the water. The system does require some stength to be able to pull the dinghy on to the boat.

Good luck

The tips on our davit are say maybe 3" or so under water when dropped down.. but I agree, it does take some effort to get up/out of the water.. ie: it's not as easy as Miss Michigan makes it look on the Hurley website.. or she's in a LOT better shape than me.. (well OK, she is definately in better shape) :lol:

Our boat is ~125lbs and the motor (8HP 2 stroke) is ~75lbs.. the same weight as the 15HP 2 stroke... but as noted, it's a grunt to get it loaded. Down's no problem.. but I found it important to keep my hands off to the side so as to NOT bash my knuckles when the boat drops past the cross member on the davit..

The other problem we found with the rail mount straps is that the davit tends to slide.. making it hard to keep in one place.. or getting the dinghy loaded the same way twice.. for now I've opted to put small hose clamps on each side of the straps (qty = 4) to keep it from moving side to side... it seems to have helped a lot. In the future, I might opt to mount directly as LuvnLiteII noted... so as to quickly remove.. I wanted to be sure this setup was OK before drilling those 4 holes.. ;)
Joe & Sheryl

DogDaze
Regal Owners Supporter

Postby Haliburton » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:15 am

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I now have the pins I required and am going to attempt to try it this weekend. My boat is about the same weight as yours Dog Daze. Miss Michigan did make it look real simple and I agree she does look in great shape. I do not have a good picture of the boat as of yet but will post when I get one.
Haliburton

Postby hvlm » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:14 pm

Congrads on the boat. We have the same model and year.

We went with the Tender Rollers unit and LOVE IT!!! It is pricey but worth it in my book. I got mine used from a member here on ROF. Seaweed Marine was GREAT to work with and helped me with the install process. Took me about 3 hours start to finish IN the water.

We love it becasue my wife and stepdaughter (10) can each use it easily without my assistance.

Just another option to look at. Post some pics of your financial mistress!!! :lol: :lol:

H
Hank M.
Former Owner
2005 Regal 4460
2006 Regal 3760
1999 Cruisers 3375
Madisonville, Louisiana
hvlm
Regal Owners Supporter

Postby dpil222 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:52 am

Hank

Do you have ant pics of the tender roller on your boat. I'm just about to buy a dinghy and just can't decide which davits to use.
Dan
2006 Regal 4460
dpil222
2013 Regal Owners Supporter

Postby DogDaze » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:42 am

I actually saw a pretty cool setup this past week on one of the transient boats at Cedar Point.. I had to look at it twice when I saw it as I had never seen one like it before.. but very neat and very cleanly done..

It was of home made vintage, but was very simple.. it amounted to some extruded aluminum.. almost like an aluminum uni-strut that extended back.. maybe a foot or so? Then he had two (what looked to be wood) bunks, maybe a foot apart - that ran almost the entire length of the hull on the dinghy.. and they had nylon skid plates on top. The center of the keel of the dinghy sat on the bunks almost like it was on a trailer.

It was so neat and cleanly done.. I wish I would/could have gotten a few pictures of it... I did ask the owner if he made it and he said he did.. so, I offered my interest and notes of a nice looking arrangement... I doubt easily removable, but I think it could be and I didn't realize.

It was a hard bottom dinghy, so my thoughts are that this setup worked good on account of that.. not sure that it would work well on a soft bottom or an inflatable keel as we have.. but it was very nice and clean looking.. no doubt the dinghy was very secure, and it looked like it was pretty easy to pull on/off from the side. Sorry, that I can't provide any pics.. if I was him, I'd consider getting a patent on it.. ;)
Joe & Sheryl

DogDaze
Regal Owners Supporter

Postby wrhfinancial » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:05 am

I have a 2760
We have a Titan 260 with a Yamaha 2 Stroke
I am in the process of installing the standoff arms
1inch pipe with 7/8 inch inside pipe to adjust the dinghy when
Going through the locks or if I need the BBQ and don't want to drop the dinghy
Pictures to follow
Elaine and Wayne
Revelation
2007 3760
Penetanguishine Ont
wrhfinancial
Regal Owners Supporter

Postby hvlm » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:08 pm

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0317.jpg
IMG_0317.jpg (44.41 KiB) Viewed 9509 times

Hope these Help . .
Hank M.
Former Owner
2005 Regal 4460
2006 Regal 3760
1999 Cruisers 3375
Madisonville, Louisiana
hvlm
Regal Owners Supporter

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:23 pm

Hey Hank,

You trying to make the pictures look like 1811? Keep up the good work if thats the case, look cool. ;)
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby DogDaze » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:09 am

LOL.. Chris, you're funny.. :)

As for an update on our CY.. yes, we actually did leave the dock this weekend w/dinghy... (and w/6 adult friends)..
No problem getting on plane.. maybe a slight drag to the back tube on the dinghy??

Coming off plane was interesting as we get quite a bit of water over the top of the extended portion of the swim platform.. we all held our breath as it looked like the dinghy might attempt to float off the back.. but she stayed in place.. I'm not sure that it took on any water.. but do have the drain plug out just in case... I do think I'll opt to touch base w/Tonya at Hurley to see about some slightly different shims.. as it does tilt back ever so slightly.. I might opt to see about a slight tilt forward.. so as to keep the outer tube of the dinghy maybe just a little bit further off the water? Not sure that will help much though when coming off plane.. (even as gently as we tried to come off plane.

We have a soft bottom dinghy as opposed to a hard bottom.. I tend to think that one can secure a hard bottom much tighter to the davit setup regardless of which davit is used... no matter how tight, I think ours may still tend to wobble a bit.. and I try not to over tighten it when sitting at the dock - for fear of permanently stretching out the bottom.. (inflatable keel)
Joe & Sheryl

DogDaze
Regal Owners Supporter

Return to General - Ontario Boating Area