Lake Simcoe & Georgian Bay advice

Lake Simcoe & Georgian Bay advice

Postby moe777 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:11 pm

Any areas we should see or avoid??? Please....your advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
WISH U WERE HERE
2007 Regal 2000 Bowrider
Chris & Moe
Live Life, Laugh Hard, Love Much!!!!
moe777

Re: Lake Simcoe & Georgian Bay advice

Postby Canada » Wed May 12, 2010 4:05 pm

The best advice I can give you is look up my name "Canada" and subjects are generally around Sat Morn Pics. They have not been updated for a long time but you are looking for anything to do with the Royal Regal Rendevous, cruising the trent severn waterways, and Georgian Bay in general. they are full of pics, tips and tricks and observations and places of interest in general.

Specifically look for the "Art of Rafting".

Next I note in your other thread you are coming out of Wabashene (sp?) area. If you know the area fine but if you don't then with the water level down this year, my only suggestion when you first launch is to wait and follow someone out into the big water. Wabashene if full of rocks and you MUST stay in the channels. After that once you are out you come to a cross roads of sorts with three buoy reversals in that area. South into Midland, North into Honey Harbour and returning into Lock 45. Always know which way you are going and remember "Red Right Returning".

Having and truly understanding your paper charts and GPS are a MUST. Don't necessarily trust someone in front of you but the buddy system is good for your first few times out.

For the first little while (I think you mentioned a 20ft bowrider), you will want to stick around Beausoliel Island area and the provincial park around Honey Harbour area with maybe a trip or two over to Beckwith. There is plenty to see for the first year in this area.

And lastly (and this includes Lake Simcoe) keep an eye on the weather. It is amazing how fast it can turn and creat havoc for your return trip. Don't stay tied to the dock per se but understand the forecast and keep one eye up on the sky.

And lastly, seek out and listen to those who have local knowledge.

Have fun...... and see you on the waters. If you see us, drop over....
Greg & Kathy
was....
Knottiii Grotto - 3560
Victoria Harbour, Ontario, Canada
now...
Spanish Angel - 54 ' Meridian 490
Sidney, British Columbia - Canada
Canada
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby moe777 » Thu May 13, 2010 1:57 pm

Wow.....thanks for all that information. We named our boat "WISH U WERE HERE"......I will definitely keep a watchful eye for you. What do you sail again???? I didn't find the link for the Royal Regal Rendevous that you spoke of. Should we be worried about paying for a launch at Pier 69 in Waubaushene?? The ramp is steep and the water goes three feet almost immediately......

What if the weather looks good when you head out and then it shifts.....should you try and dock and stay put until the weather clears??
WISH U WERE HERE
2007 Regal 2000 Bowrider
Chris & Moe
Live Life, Laugh Hard, Love Much!!!!
moe777

Postby Canada » Thu May 13, 2010 7:30 pm

Well I found the first one and here is the link.

http://regalownersforum.com/forum/viewt ... p?f=6&t=17

Another one is bascially the same title but called RRR from the bustards to Killarney - or close thereof.

The thread that had the RRR video is there but the video no longer resides on a server.

I didn't find my original threads about the Trent Severn, etc. so that may have been on the old forum. There are still lots of other Sat Morn pics you can look up. (will try after this to find the Art of Rafting which is a good read).

here is the link for the Art of Rafting.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95&p=4500&hilit=art+of+rafting#p570

Anyway, to answer your questions....

No don't worry about paying for the launch - VISA covers everything. If you mean will you have to pay I wouldn't know but would assume so - like every other marina that charges.

I am not a trailering guy so you need to know how to drop a boat in the water and assume you have the equipment (and tow vehicle) to do so. - Again as already mentioned, don't be afraid to ask for help.

For the rest of the Group, here is what I am talking about the rocks et al around Wabaushene.

wab.jpg

Here is a pic of the boat...

knottiii Grotto 1.jpg

see you on the water....good luck
Greg & Kathy
was....
Knottiii Grotto - 3560
Victoria Harbour, Ontario, Canada
now...
Spanish Angel - 54 ' Meridian 490
Sidney, British Columbia - Canada
Canada