new 2018 2300 dual batteries issue and fuel gauge issue

New, and old Regal boat model information and questions.

new 2018 2300 dual batteries issue and fuel gauge issue

Postby mirage2991 » Sat May 26, 2018 9:46 pm

Took our brand new 2300 out today for the first time to our fav beach. Stayed anchored for about 3h ish, played the radio for 2h, and I was goofing off with the Garmin for 20 min. Once we were ready to leave, my drive wouldn't come down (key on, all gauges powered up as normal). Tried it at the throttle, and then tried it at the stern switch, nothing. I had to turn the bat switch to "both" and it then came down. Boat started fine, ran fine. Once home, with the switch to just "on", the drive went up and down just fine.
I'm a bit perplexed by this, shouldn't the drive run off the start battery and the radio from the house battery? or is regal doing something different (previous boat had one house two starts and steero along with other equipment ran off that only).

The other thing was the fuel gauge (mech). Evidently Regal doesn't interface it with the Garmin, which is silly I think, but it didn't really move from the full mark...also perplexed, according to the Garmin gp/h looks like I should have burned through about 17% of fuel today...would expect it to go down some...or is this one of those that is that far off it won't move until half tank or something?...

2018 with Volvo Penta 300 EVC

(of course it's under warranty but I would rather try and save me a 30 min trip to the dealer if it's something silly or us not used to something acting differently)
mirage2991

Re: new 2018 2300 dual batteries issue and fuel gauge issue

Postby cbsmith » Sun May 27, 2018 7:32 am

I don’t know about your battery issue but on a lot of boat the fuel pickup and gauge sender is located at the back of the tank so when running and the boat is slightly bow high it takes a while for the fuel to go down enough to show on truck gauge when running. I found when I stop in my 1900 the tank will level out and the gauge will start to show then. But it stays on full for a long time.
2014 Regal 1900
2010 Sea-Doo GTX 155
2007 Sea-Doo Wake 215
cbsmith

Postby TechRider » Sun May 27, 2018 9:44 am

Post some pics of you battery and wiring setup. Looking for what type of batteries and switch and charger you have.

Hard to tell without knowing what your main battery is and what % charged it was before leaving.

When you went to both and everything seemed to work indicates you depleted your main battery. When running back to your dock you would be charging your main battery which is why things were working again when you tried just the on switch.

I would recommend some voltage meters, some fairly cheap ones on amazon that plug into a 12v outlet to see where your voltage is at. Then check your battery specs to see what your resting battery voltage should be for your configuration.

We can tell you more once we have more info.
2018 Regal 33 Express
TechRider

Postby mirage2991 » Sun May 27, 2018 11:50 am

i charged both batteries before leaving the house.
Switch is a bluesea 5511
Dual green interstate marine batteries, suspect they are both cranking but can only see the front of one.
One alternator, no other charger on board

when i turned the ign key on everything came on, evc digital screen came on, fuel pumps activated, nothing unusual omit for the drive not wanting to come down either from the throtle switch nor the stern switch. Once i put the battery swithc to both then it came down.

I'm having a hard time believing the radio would kill a battery in two hours, and i find it strange that the drive would be wired to the house battery... but this is 2018 and maybe things are different. my 01 maxum 3500 was a different beast and i never killed a house battery and had more equipments pulling from it, though it was a deep cycle...

(phone pics are to big for this forum otherwise i'd post some)
mirage2991

Postby mirage2991 » Sun May 27, 2018 8:10 pm

I check the analogue fuel gauge tonight and even on the trailer, still shows at the full tick mark... will be taking a trip to dealer tuesday...evidently my Sub isn't working either on the fusion radio... bleh
mirage2991

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Sun May 27, 2018 9:41 pm

Keep in mind with the EVC its always powered up, the computer is online all the time, as there isn't a traditional key switch its an input to the computer to turn on the engine. That draw should be pretty low in comparison. Also the trim pumps are quite high on the current draw. I can't remember off the top of my head, but somewhere in the 15-20A range if I recall, could be higher. At stall out they are in the 50-60A range at full up/down.

I assume that you have group 24 batteries that the dealer installed, as Regal ships the boats (pun intended :mrgreen: ) with no batteries and its up the local dealers to install them of their choosing.

That is why its important to always run a single battery either one or two and then switch before you leave. I would HIGHLY suggest installing a dual battery bank charger into the boat so it can be plugged in when you are home. If you have run the battery down low enough you won't be able to fully recharge it unless you keep the engine running for many hours. A plug in over night and you will be good to go in the morning. Somewhere in the 8-10A or even 15A range is good for a bow rider. Make sure you get a fully waterproof one and put in the engine compartment. A marine version is ignition protected as well which is very important if its located down in the engine room, which the marine units are. Stick with a fully automatic unit from a name brand. You can even add an inlet for the plug in an out of the way area. On my older bow rider I put it under the swim ladder cover to keep it hidden and reachable from the ground while on the trailer. It was deep enough to close the cover when it was plugged in. You can be creative where to locate one.

Here is an example of the plug that I am talking about, they can be purchased cheaper elsewhere:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/marinco- ... et--191991

An example of an onboard charger (~$100ish):

http://www.promariner.com/en/43012
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby mirage2991 » Sun May 27, 2018 10:03 pm

hey Chris,
I purposely left the battery swictch on "on" from 3pm to 22:30, also played the radio a bit, trying to see if I could duplicate the issue, but no luck. I checked with my volt meter to make sure the drive is powered by the engine battery and that checked out. Radio, power tower, Garmin are def not powered by that battery so, connection wise we are as it should be. Not exactly sure why it did what it did...
Installing a charger is in the plans...promariner, I have that one (3 banks) on my garage wall charging my cars, was looking at their 2 banks earlier. Great idea on the thru hull AC plug!

JB
mirage2991

Return to Boat Models